Price for Panasonic FZ1 dropped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by star77
Hi, i am considering getting this cam too. Can anyone roughly explain to me what does consistent f2.8 aperture means, and what are the benefits? Thanks :)

f2.8 measures the size of the aperture. The smaller the number, the bigger the hole; the bigger the hole, the more light can enter the camera. f2.8 is a very big hole, meaning lots of light can enter the camera. Usually as zoom increases, the hole size will get smaller meaning less light can enter. So it's more difficult to take pictures indoors or at night using high zoom without flash....

But FZ1 has obviously overcome this limitation....

;)

Originally posted by NiVleK
If I am not wrong, this camera does not have manual controls rite?

You are right.... no manual control.... may not matter if you don't use manual anyway.... like me! Seldom uses manual.....:D

Originally posted by kit90210
f2.8 measures the size of the aperture. The smaller the number, the bigger the hole; the bigger the hole, the more light can enter the camera. f2.8 is a very big hole, meaning lots of light can enter the camera. Usually as zoom increases, the hole size will get smaller meaning less light can enter. So it's more difficult to take pictures indoors or at night using high zoom without flash....

But FZ1 has obviously overcome this limitation....

;)

ic.
but some photo's exif i've seen in pbase taken by FZ1 reflects the f-stop at f4 etc.
does the cam auto adjust the f-stop itself over a certain range?
or it's totally fix at f2.8 dead?

btw, how's the night shots taken by this cam?
i've not manage to find much night shots sample.
are night shots taken wif this cam underexpose or too dark?

thanks alot :)

ic.
but some photo's exif i've seen in pbase taken by FZ1 reflects the f-stop at f4 etc.
does the cam auto adjust the f-stop itself over a certain range?
or it's totally fix at f2.8 dead?

btw, how's the night shots taken by this cam?
i've not manage to find much night shots sample.
are night shots taken wif this cam underexpose or too dark?

thanks alot :)

i believe that in certain mode, the camera will auto adjust the aperture and shutter speed according to the brightness of the subject. Zoom in and out shouldn't affect the aperture size.

Originally posted by majere2sg
i believe that in certain mode, the camera will auto adjust the aperture and shutter speed according to the brightness of the subject. Zoom in and out shouldn't affect the aperture size.

Think I've read somewhere that the aperture size is fixed! Cannot vary....

But the shutter speed will vary automatically to get the right exposure that you want or the exposure level that you set.

There shouldn't be any problem for night shots since you can control the exposure level to over or under expose the picture.

:p

But the shutter speed will vary automatically to get the right exposure that you want or the exposure level that you set.

There shouldn't be any problem for night shots since you can control the exposure level to over or under expose the picture.

hi kit90210, you own a FZ1?

mind taking some night shots and have a look?

hi kit90210, you own a FZ1?

mind taking some night shots and have a look?

Aiyoh ...:eek:. haven't owned FZ1 yet la... still in a dilema whether to buy or not... I like everything about it except the 2 mega-pixels....:embrass: Don't know whether to wait for 3 mega-pixel version....

My past night shots are taken with automode in digital cam.... never manual mode lei....

Does anyone own the FZ-1 here? Any comments?:rbounce:

Wow... saw in the papers that Panasonic DMC-FZ1 has dropped its price to $699 in the newspaper. Used to be $899. Has 12x optical zoom and image stabiliser and bright lens..... Tempted...:embrass:

Buy Buy Buy!!! :gbounce:

:bsmilie:

From the exif info that is reflected in some of the pictures I took, the aperture size is definitely not fixed at f2.8 only. By using the different modes available, I managed to get aperture values of f2.8, f4, f4.6, f5.2, f6.5, f7.3, f8. If I am not wrong, it seems to me that the aperture ranges from f2.8 to f8 but there are no standard step sizes in the range. (look at f7.3)

This is unlike my previous casio qv2900ux (also a big zoom cam - 8x optical ), and some other cams. Their apertures can only be adjusted to 3 fixed sizes. (eg. my casio's aperture sizes are f3.2, f4.8 and f8 only).

but in panasonic website
http://www.panasonic.com.sg/consumer/fz1/shoot_mode.html
it says..
Normal Picture Mode (Program AE)
The camera automatically sets the aperture and shutter speed according to the subject's brightness. You can adjust the white balance, ISO sensitivity, and other settings* to give a photo a more expressive look.
:dunno:

I got one! Go buy it, its super cool. I am one of those who don't need more than 2mp, even on a 5mp camera. The aperture and shutter speed are not fixed. Aperture can vary from f2.8 to f8 and sspeed from 8 sec to 1/2000. But its in AE Mode, so you will have to understand and play around with the various modes, including the ISO setting. Once you figure them out, possibility is unlimited, its almost as good as manual to me. The view finder provides you with the info like "aperture" and "speed", so it should'nt take long for you to figure out how change the mode for the desired setting. Got a black one for $660 with the case, 128 SD (panasonic), and original MC Protector (Filter). Is that a good price? Anyone know if the TCON17 works with the FZ1? What is the best price and where to find one? BTW, night scene is also pretty good. It has "auto bracketing" and all controls are very well laid out. If you take mostly 2mp photos, there is no better camera out there. Don't wait for higher mp, because higher mp, means larger CCD, means larger lens. Its not going to a just a matter of swapping CCD. Waiting, means missing out.

otime,

where and how much did you get your MC protector? by the way, do you know how much is the original neutral density (ND) filter?

Don't know the exact price. Got the MC protector, FZ1 and Panasonic 128 SD for a total of 660 at SLS. Is the MC protector UV? Did not say so in the instructions.

I bought my FZ1 at AP at $603 (with GST)- comes free with a Panasonic SD 128MB card and a Panasonic soft case.
Also bought a TCON-17 at $150 at AP (last stock)
Yes, you can actually attach a TCON-17 to FZ1.
I bought a HOYA 55mm UV guard at $10, attached it to the hood adapter. And to my plesant surprise, i can also attached the TCON onto the other end of the UV guard. What i did was to break the glass of the UV guard and work well like a 55mm to 55mm ring adapter. TCON-17 is definely suited for FZ1 as you do not need to buy a lens adapter and a step-up ring as in the case of C750.

Hi bob,

So you have something like 20x zoom with the TCON-17.....how are the pictures? Does the image stabilizer still work well

Originally posted by Bob
I bought my FZ1 at AP at $603 (with GST)- comes free with a Panasonic SD 128MB card and a Panasonic soft case.
I bought a HOYA 55mm UV guard at $10, attached it to the hood adapter. And to my plesant surprise, i can also attached the TCON onto the other end of the UV guard. What i did was to break the glass of the UV guard and work well like a 55mm to 55mm ring adapter. TCON-17 is definely suited for FZ1 as you do not need to buy a lens adapter and a step-up ring as in the case of C750.

Ehhh...why u want to break the UV filter... :dunno: Since if you can attach the filter to your lens adapter why bother to even break a filter when you can just attach the TCON directly??

The UV filter is an almost clear piece of glass/plastic, I dun think there will be a difference even if you did not break the filter off. Besides, the filter will serve as a permanent lens protector when you are not using the TCON17.

Very good price!!! :thumbsup:
Did you buy the camera set and TCON-17 from AP?

Originally posted by Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.