Price drop trends for camera body ?

dynoto

Feb 22, 2017
Singapro
Hi guys, newbie here in this forum.
I've been looking to get a new setup, aiming very closely on Sony A7II with 35mm 2.8 EF lens.

But since that the body is already 2 years old, i presume that there will be a new version A7 mk3 coming out really really soon.

Now the question here is that, based on the prices observed in local markets ... does the prices for existing models dropped immediately after the announcement of successor? or usually prices will follow RRP set by Manufacturer? :think:

I got around 1 month to decide before my trip to Japan, so not really in a rush ... can get the set within a week when i made up my mind

Mods pls move this thread if its not appropriate in this subforum

Hello! I am a newbie too. Prices for existing model may drop significantly after announcement, only if, the new model is much superior to the existing model. For example; A7II only made A7 really old and much cheaper because of the in-body stabilisation. (minus IBS technology, camera tech have really slowed down a lot)

According to rumours floating around, A7III is going to be released May-June this year and it is unlikely that A7III is going to be revolutionary. It is most likely going to be touchscreen or more pixels (but less than A7RII), more auto-focus points, longer battery life?

Bottomline, it really comes to your needs! Do you have a camera for your Japan trip? If you can wait until May-June you might save ~$100-200 from the secondhand market. If you need a camera, you should buy 1 !

Once a camera body is purchased , its better to look at using it instead and not as a form of investment.

No matter what happens, even a digital M body's value depreciates with time. If you need it, just get it and start shooting to recoup the investment :)

There's no end to newer bodies, and its now a point where to some users, features overload too. I have friends who are still using the original A7 body , with few complaints even now that we have the A7R2 or the A7S2.

Hello! I am a newbie too. Prices for existing model may drop significantly after announcement, only if, the new model is much superior to the existing model. For example; A7II only made A7 really old and much cheaper because of the in-body stabilisation. (minus IBS technology, camera tech have really slowed down a lot)

According to rumours floating around, A7III is going to be released May-June this year and it is unlikely that A7III is going to be revolutionary. It is most likely going to be touchscreen or more pixels (but less than A7RII), more auto-focus points, longer battery life?

Bottomline, it really comes to your needs! Do you have a camera for your Japan trip? If you can wait until May-June you might save ~$100-200 from the secondhand market. If you need a camera, you should buy 1 !

I'm actually didn't have any plans on buying the A7III though, learned in the past that keeping myself on the bleeding edge for expensive purchases just doesn't pan out in the long run.

I bought my macbook refurbished, usually one generation behind the current top spec and i got a lot of value out of it ^^

Once a camera body is purchased , its better to look at using it instead and not as a form of investment.

No matter what happens, even a digital M body's value depreciates with time. If you need it, just get it and start shooting to recoup the investment :)

There's no end to newer bodies, and its now a point where to some users, features overload too. I have friends who are still using the original A7 body , with few complaints even now that we have the A7R2 or the A7S2.

hi Mod, thanks for the reply.

:p actually, my only buyers remorse is on the price drop ... thinking that if the price drop by a few hundred i could invest it on better glass ... hahahah XD

Haha, that's a very good point. Good glass is always more worthy of investing than the newest body :)

btw... if you are not doing photography professionally, buying gear i never an investment actually. you will lose money everytime guaranteed.

price drops are not very predictable. a lot depends on market forces, inventory, new model replacements etc etc etc... too many to list. sometimes don't think too much, just buy and use.

And if u are still concerned about price drop, then buying used would be another option and less heart pain. Even then, if a new model arrives, the used market will react to that as well.
So worry less, buy early so you can have more opportunities to shoot.

thank you very much for the insight mods.
pulling the trigger tomorrow!

excited!