Price drop after Photokina 2016?


Lucille

New Member
Jul 23, 2016
20
0
1
Singapore
#1
Hi hi

I am interested and ready to buy the Sony A7M2, battery grip and GM 24-70. About $2050, $350 and $2800 respectively. Total of about $5400.

However, I am advised that after PhotoKina in end Sep, there is very likely to be price drop due to new product launches etc etc by Sony. I think this theory make logical sense and should be supported by history(?).

Should I wait till October (after Photokina) for the impending(?) price drop thereby saving me hundreds of dollar or would it be a case of minimum savings?

I do not have any urgent need to get them immediately (like a upcoming holiday trip) but at the same time, the 'itch' is there to get them sooner rather than later.

My question is potentially, how much can I save? comparing buying now versus waiting till October.

From the Internet rumor mills/discussions, they are saying that Sony's product roadmap is delayed because of the earthquake in Japan some months back (damage to their sensor factory). Thus, nothing major are expected at Photokina.

Your thoughts or comments please. Appreciate any advice :)
 

richiemccaw1

Senior Member
Feb 21, 2013
3,103
27
48
Singapore
#2
My crystal ball says to wait for Funan to reopen. You will surely save more than a few hundred dollars then!

On a more serious note, no one can say for sure. Speculation will remain speculation.

You have to ask yourself how much you want the gear as compared to your desire to save a few hundred dollars. It sounds like you are ready to buy now but just want someome here to tell you what you want to hear.
 

Last edited:

Lucille

New Member
Jul 23, 2016
20
0
1
Singapore
#3
If I can save more than say $400 by waiting till October, I will wait.

I am ok to pay up to abt $400 more just to buy it 2-3mth earlier.

Thus I am asking for opinions if indeed price drop after new product get launch is really significant.


My crystal ball says to wait for Funan to reopen. You will surely save more than a few hundred dollars then!

On a more serious note, no one can say for sure. Speculation will remain speculation.

You have to ask yourself how much you want the gear as compared to your desire to save a few hundred dollars. It sounds like you are ready to buy now but just want someome here to tell you what you want to hear.
 

G-man

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2006
2,272
6
38
My House
#4
Likelihood of A72 prices dropping are there. By how much is anyone's guess. As for 2470GM, it's quite unlikely as it's just been released not too long ago and there isn't anything new to take its place or anything remotely close to its focal length that's coming out.
 

Lucille

New Member
Jul 23, 2016
20
0
1
Singapore
#5
Thanks for your comment. Fair point.

Any potential savings that I can get is likely to come from the price of the body. I suppose we are looking at a 10-15% drop at most? As from a business point of view, I doubt Sony would want to kill its own profit. Especially since the Yen have been increasing in strength against many currency.


Likelihood of A72 prices dropping are there. By how much is anyone's guess. As for 2470GM, it's quite unlikely as it's just been released not too long ago and there isn't anything new to take its place or anything remotely close to its focal length that's coming out.
 

kandinsky

Moderator
Staff member
Apr 26, 2008
3,013
24
38
#8
I do not have any urgent need to get them immediately (like a upcoming holiday trip) but at the same time, the 'itch' is there to get them sooner rather than later.

My question is potentially, how much can I save? comparing buying now versus waiting till October.
Nobody can really predict how much prices will shift. E.g. Even if they announce new stuff, it will still depend on when stocks hit the market, whether it's viewed as an incremental upgrade or huge upgrade over the predecessor, etc.

If no urgent need and you care more about potential savings than scratching your itch, always wait if you can. Cos hindsight is 20/20 :p If prioritise the itch/need over potential savings, then just buy and enjoy it to the fullest, don't look back. One way to not take too much of a hit, when buying something close to the possible launch of a new series, is to buy used.
 

Lucille

New Member
Jul 23, 2016
20
0
1
Singapore
#9
Nobody can really predict how much prices will shift. E.g. Even if they announce new stuff, it will still depend on when stocks hit the market, whether it's viewed as an incremental upgrade or huge upgrade over the predecessor, etc.

If no urgent need and you care more about potential savings than scratching your itch, always wait if you can. Cos hindsight is 20/20 :p If prioritise the itch/need over potential savings, then just buy and enjoy it to the fullest, don't look back. One way to not take too much of a hit, when buying something close to the possible launch of a new series, is to buy used.
Fully agree. There are many parameters that affect prices, chief among them is timing.

I know clearly that it's a simple matter of evaluating whether I am willing to pay a premium for owning something earlier.

As there are a wealth of collective knowledge n experiences in this community, I was hopping if bros/sis here can share their views in this area i.e. prices vs timing of purchase. They will certainly come in useful in my decision making process.

Good inputs thus far. Do keep them coming. Thanks everyone.
 

SNAPDINER

New Member
Mar 28, 2011
556
5
0
#10
http://photorumors.com/2016/07/27/canon-and-sony-also-rumored-to-raise-prices-in-europe/

I don't think there will be any significant price drop for all brands for current models for a year or so.
Market circumstances has changed with more natural disasters affecting production across the board. Brands also know that there is so many cameras one will buy in a span of 1 or 2 years and might as well raise prices touting the latest technology that makes one think is worth the new pricing. The sony a7 series, RX10 are such examples.
 

Last edited:

TWmilkteaTW

Senior Member
May 30, 2011
2,251
1
0
#11
Thing about electronic is in most cases. Price will always drop.. When and by how much. Not sure.

So. If you need it now. Then just get it and dont look back.
If you dont need it now. Then just hold and wait. Definitely there will be a shift of prices or even more options available later as time goes by.

Also.. If you are waiting. You may want to wait for next Sony days promotion. I not sure when but I'm pretty sure near year end.. there will be 1 of such.