Price difference for cannom eos 600D

Ranjodh1000

Apr 2, 2011
Hey everyone I'm a newbie and wanna get my first Dslr but thing is I dunno where to buy from John 3:16 is selling the 600D for 1260 but courts is selling it for 1400!! Why d big price difference? Is john's a grey set??

John 3:16, like many other retail in Funan and SLS, is selling at street price. Big shopping malls like Challenger, Courts, Harvey Norman, etc, etc... are selling at MSRP (Manufacturer Suggestion Retail Price). This price difference is normal and both are local set. To confirm, just ask them to produce the warranty card or slip from the product which will imprint the various brand local distributor's chop.

Grey sets on the other hand usually comes with shop warranty. They have pretty good customer service as well. DD-electronics and Artworkfoto are 2 of such shops. Price MAY be cheaper than street price but not recently due to the Earthquake in Japan.

So do u think I should go and n buy from john?? I'm quite lost as I have nvr bought any camera equipment before so far I have only read up abt thm

Read up more in this forum

i got quoted $1240 at TK photo.

free screen protector, wireless shutter remote, tripod, 8gb and a canon bag.

Normally John slightly more exp. Can go funan walk walk ask ask!

Read the fine print of the Courts offer. Usually they bundle in their 3 years warranty, covering also damages out of clumsiness and other things, just like an insurance. In return, you will need to go to Courts for all warranty issues. Canon Service Center will not acknowledge the Courts warranty contract. If you feel you need the 'all round clumsiness protection' then go ahead. But bear in mind: you buy consumer electronics. Values drop by the month, latest when the next model comes out.
Buying from other shops gets you the standard Canon warranty which you can extend when registering online. (Check Canon SG webste). Some shops also offer grey sets (a.k.a. export sets) which are not covered by warranty from Canon SG. They are cheaper, of course. But you will have to pay for every repair, regardless whether it happens 2 weeks or 10 months after purchasing.
Decide what you really need.

So do u think I should go and n buy from john?? I'm quite lost as I have nvr bought any camera equipment before so far I have only read up abt thm

I think you should do 2 things:

1. Red the "What DSLR to get?" FAQ we have in the newbies corner.
2. Look at the Priceguides section, it answers your "where to buy" questions.

Octarine said:
Read the fine print of the Courts offer. Usually they bundle in their 3 years warranty, covering also damages out of clumsiness and other things, just like an insurance. In return, you will need to go to Courts for all warranty issues. Canon Service Center will not acknowledge the Courts warranty contract. If you feel you need the 'all round clumsiness protection' then go ahead. But bear in mind: you buy consumer electronics. Values drop by the month, latest when the next model comes out.
Buying from other shops gets you the standard Canon warranty which you can extend when registering online. (Check Canon SG webste). Some shops also offer grey sets (a.k.a. export sets) which are not covered by warranty from Canon SG. They are cheaper, of course. But you will have to pay for every repair, regardless whether it happens 2 weeks or 10 months after purchasing.
Decide what you really need.

I bought from Courts and the first year is by Canon. You can still purchase additional online warranty from Canon. But that's a bit kiasu since the Courts warranty covers much more than the Canon one, e.g. Accidental damages.

Totally understand your sentiments...it is like buying car, should buy Toyota from borneo or safe to buy from other dealers etc.

Camera equipment is generally safe to buy from non-chain stores. As long as they are equally backed by warranty, it's ok. Just make sure u will be getting the canon Singapore warranty card and shop receipt.

I bought from Courts and the first year is by Canon. You can still purchase additional online warranty from Canon. But that's a bit kiasu since the Courts warranty covers much more than the Canon one, e.g. Accidental damages.

I tried to register my camera online (purchased at Courts), never worked. But ok.. that was some years back. Might be different now.