Price difference between USA lens and Local Lens (35mm 1.8)

daveco

Dec 1, 2010
Singapore
Hi. This is my first post on the forum. I own a Nikon D5100, with the normal 18-55 kit lens.

I am wanting to buy a new lens, and I have settled on the 35mm f1.8.

However, I have noticed that it is about 30% more expensive here, in Singapore, than in my home country of USA.

Here are the prices (US dollars converted to SGD where appropriate)

USA (NOT GREY MARKET) on Amazon: 252 SGD (199.95 USD)
Local: 330 SGD

There is about an 80 dollar price difference, and on top of that, the USA one has 5 YEARS warranty (verses 1 year in SG)?

Is there any sense to this madness? Am I missing something? Anyone asked Nikon? :angry:

Thanks in Advance...

David.

Many things not limited to camera lens / accessories are cheaper in the US.

One difference. In Spore, I can try the lens before i confirm buy, vs US, I order fr the website, not able to pre-test the lens. Perhaps I can test the lens, and if not satisfied, I can return the purchase. Troublesome. That brings out another issue, I am not sure whether the lens I buy is a returned item from someone else.

On warranty, I am not sure whether Nikon Service Centre will honor the 5 year warranty fr US.

I have read some CS ppl buy their lens from Msia, HK, in addition to US. The money saved is enuf to buy other accessories.

Not all lens have a big price diff. I am surprised CP prices 35F1.8G more expensive than 50F1.8G, while USA prices otherwise. The savings is bigger if you buy 35. Not so for 50.

Lens 55-200 is cheaper in Spore during promotion, vs USA. Hitech GND accessories are also cheaper in Spore.

Do your homework before commit purchase.

That's the way it is for most, if not all electronic products between USA and Singapore, whether it's cameras, laptops, handphones, etc.

I bought my Canon s95 on Amazon when I was studying in US, for SGD490. I think it's about SGD650 in Singapore.
Similarly, I got an AT2020 mike there for SGD$85, but the same mike is SGD190 in Singapore.

Amazon has a very high inventory turnover rate. They are able to take a lower profit margin on each product, because they make money by moving lots of products. The reverse holds true for Singapore. This is just one of the factors. There are lots more, like import taxes, differing shipping costs, etc.

Hi. This is my first post on the forum. I own a Nikon D5100, with the normal 18-55 kit lens.

I am wanting to buy a new lens, and I have settled on the 35mm f1.8.

However, I have noticed that it is about 30% more expensive here, in Singapore, than in my home country of USA.

Here are the prices (US dollars converted to SGD where appropriate)

USA (NOT GREY MARKET) on Amazon: 252 SGD (199.95 USD)
Local: 330 SGD

There is about an 80 dollar price difference, and on top of that, the USA one has 5 YEARS warranty (verses 1 year in SG)?

Is there any sense to this madness? Am I missing something? Anyone asked Nikon? :angry:

Thanks in Advance...

David.
Its normal. Not just Nikon brand.. You can take a look at the price differences for the higher end stuff. You might be more surprise too .

Thanks for all the replies. I will get my lens when I am back home this summer then. :)

On a secondary point, anyone have any specific annoyances about the 35mm?

Don't forget in Singapore there is TAX of 7%(GST) which we have to pay

I'm not so sure about US but according to http://www.kenrockwell.com/m he is able to purchase anything from amazon or ebay & return to them with his money back no question ask... imagine if a group of people "purchase" some items and than return back the items lets say weeks or months later, how will new customer know what they're getting is exactly new?

I'm not so sure about US but according to http://www.kenrockwell.com/m he is able to purchase anything from amazon or ebay & return to them with his money back no question ask... imagine if a group of people "purchase" some items and than return back the items lets say weeks or months later, how will new customer know what they're getting is exactly new?
Yea..what to do.. and they do it quite often (returning of goods). Maybe the item are returned to the factory then packed as NEW again? No idea.. anyway..ignorance is bliss..

Just make sure one check his/her item carefully before purchasing..

strikeback4 said:

the USA also has various taxes, including the state sales tax.

The GST is only applicable to items costing a total of over S$300 or S$400 I believe...can't remember the exact amount. Any purchase overseas amounting to less than that threshold will not be charged GST.

However, do also take note that the prices you see on Amazon do not include shipping...Super Saver Shipping is only applicable to US address. So if you add shipping costs, the prices may not have that much of a difference to what you can get in SG. It will still be cheaper, especially if you use third party shipping, but it may not be worth it if you can't try out the lens.

Last edited:
the USA also has various taxes, including the state sales tax.

Which only applies if you are buying from a company within the same state. If you buy from a company out of state, usually there is no sales tax.

There's a change in the GST regulation portion at customs right? Thought there's a $600 relieve I think.

Anything above $400 (including shipping) GST is required.

TS is from the US and returns for the summer, buys the lens. And comes back to SG. Brings in as personal belonging, no GST charged. Covered by 1-year international warranty, and back in US gets 5-year warranty.

Happy story for TS, not for the rest of us, though.

Gas (petrol) prices in the US also much cheaper. Average US$3.70+ per gallon or about US$1 per liter (1 gallon = 3.785 liter). That's S$1.25 per liter. Here is is S$2.23 (for 95).

Thanks for all the replies. I will get my lens when I am back home this summer then. :)

On a secondary point, anyone have any specific annoyances about the 35mm?

35mm 1.8 is very sharp, no regrets for me buying it for S$ 326 from funan (SLRR) last week. For DX, people suggest 24mm, but its way costly for me to afford.

lotus80 said:
35mm 1.8 is very sharp, no regrets for me buying it for S$ 326 from funan (SLRR) last week. For DX, people suggest 24mm, but its way costly for me to afford.

If u can do with F/2.8, it's only abt $100 plus away for a used copy.

Gas (petrol) prices in the US also much cheaper. Average US$3.70+ per gallon or about US$1 per liter (1 gallon = 3.785 liter). That's S$1.25 per liter. Here is is S$2.23 (for 95).

Here's why.... Petrol prices in Singapore

Excise duties and GST
Taxes and duties make up about 30 percent of pump prices. The petrol excise duty in Singapore is set at a rate of $0.41 per litre for 92- and 95-octane petrol, and $0.44 per litre for petrol rated 97 octane and above. As with all other products, there is the additional seven per cent GST charge.

:)

Just for fun. A pair of cole hann shoes costs 389 SGD at Taka, the same pair costs 89 USD at Macy California.

Just for fun. A pair of cole hann shoes costs 389 SGD at Taka, the same pair costs 89 USD at Macy California.

the svc staff in Cole Haan Taka very special & expensive hor. :p