Price check for some items before heading to hk

psydunko

May 10, 2010
Hi guys, just gotten my new k-x a month ago.
Going on a trip to hong kong soon and heard that the prices over there is cheaper than singapore.

I am interested in the pentax smc a 50mm f1.2
Saw it selling 2nd hand at B&S for around $800+
Is 2nd hand price around there? Sample is too few to determine for me so require some input from long time pro!
The bokeh from the 1.2 is :devil:

If not, the pentax smc a 50mm f1.4 would be a good choice too.
Saw fengwei just sold one 2nd hand at B&S for $280 and i was too slow to get it.
Is the 2nd hand price around there too?
Think that the price difference between a and fa is unjustifiable cause i think manual focus would be fine. And the price increase of the fa since last year is :nono:
Unless i can find the fa hk at its old price then i think it is reasonable to purchase it.

Just to confirm, the a 1.2 and 1.4 are not in production already? Only way to get hold of them is 2nd hand? What about the fa?

Another thing that i wanna explore is flash photography. Have decided on the metz af58 cause it is feature rich. A check on price.com.hk shows that it retails for SGD$530 at hk. While i think the best local price is $600 from OP.
Just wanna ask if the local set has warranty?
Dont think that i will sacrifice the warranty for $70, considering i am talking about flash here instead of manual lens.

Any input from fellow pentaxians here will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Dont think that i will sacrifice the warranty for $70, considering i am talking about flash here instead of manual lens.

I dun think a branded flash spoils easily... unless got wet or dropped... if not under normal usage condition, i dun think it spoils easily... :think:

I dun think a branded flash spoils easily... unless got wet or dropped... if not under normal usage condition, i dun think it spoils easily... :think:

You never know. We're talking about electronics here, and it's not easy to get a flash repaired unlike old lenses. If the $70 buys you peace of mind for 1 year, why not? :dunno:

really depends on value of what you are buying and what you intend to do. if the price not much different, get locally for the warranty.

Pentax-A lenses I believe are generally out of production. You could get the ubiquitous FA 50mm f1.4. As for the A 50 f1.2, it is listed in a Japanese store new. Not sure if it is Made in Japan or Made in Vietnam though. There were some news that there are some Made in Vietnam copies going around but still rare. Anyway, it will cost like some $1.2kSGD. Coming across a 2nd hand one, especially in good condition, is imho, opportunistic, requires patience and perhaps some good karma?

Thanks for the replies and advices given by you guys here.
Didnt know that the 50 f1.2 is so rare.
Will try my luck around in hong kong. Who knows what i will find.

i notice the lens is not much different with SG for pentax... for N/C then sound cheaper over there...
the thing that is cheap is Flash...

FYI, K-x over there is about 10-15% more exp than here... but the lens is about the same...

Hi guys, just gotten my new k-x a month ago.
Going on a trip to hong kong soon and heard that the prices over there is cheaper than singapore.

I am interested in the pentax smc a 50mm f1.2
Saw it selling 2nd hand at B&S for around $800+
Is 2nd hand price around there? Sample is too few to determine for me so require some input from long time pro!
The bokeh from the 1.2 is :devil:

If not, the pentax smc a 50mm f1.4 would be a good choice too.
Saw fengwei just sold one 2nd hand at B&S for $280 and i was too slow to get it.
Is the 2nd hand price around there too?
Think that the price difference between a and fa is unjustifiable cause i think manual focus would be fine. And the price increase of the fa since last year is :nono:
Unless i can find the fa hk at its old price then i think it is reasonable to purchase it.

Just to confirm, the a 1.2 and 1.4 are not in production already? Only way to get hold of them is 2nd hand? What about the fa?

Another thing that i wanna explore is flash photography. Have decided on the metz af58 cause it is feature rich. A check on price.com.hk shows that it retails for SGD$530 at hk. While i think the best local price is $600 from OP.
Just wanna ask if the local set has warranty?

Any input from fellow pentaxians here will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

My copy of the Metz 58AF-1 is local warranty . . .

A50mm F1.2 can still get new from Japan but between SGD$1.2k to 1.3k

A50 F1.4 cannot get new already, but I managed to get one 2nd hand in very new condition.

The FA50 F1.4 will cost about $500+ new

Last edited:
My copy of the Metz 58AF-1 is local warranty . . .

A50mm F1.2 can still get new from Japan but between SGD$1.2k to 1.3k

A50 F1.4 cannot get new already, but I managed to get one 2nd hand in very new condition.

The FA50 F1.4 will cost about $500+ new

Thanks for the reply.
Is the Metz local warranty for a year?
How has the flash been performing for you?

Too bad i have no cash to go japan :dunno:
From what i have been reading, the FA50 F1.4 retails around $300+ last year?
Lenses price sure increase over the years :confused:

Thanks for the reply.

Great flash but I seldom use as I prefer to go without the flash.

As far as I know the price went up bec Japan Yen went up . . .

i notice the lens is not much different with SG for pentax... for N/C then sound cheaper over there...
the thing that is cheap is Flash...

FYI, K-x over there is about 10-15% more exp than here... but the lens is about the same...

While i was lurking some time ago,
I think i remembered you starting a thread to ask about hong kong price too.
So what did you buy over there?

Thanks for the reply.

Great flash but I seldom use as I prefer to go without the flash.

As far as I know the price went up bec Japan Yen went up . . .

Thanks for this additional info! :thumbsup:
Didnt know that.

While i was lurking some time ago,
I think i remembered you starting a thread to ask about hong kong price too.
So what did you buy over there?

Thanks for this additional info! :thumbsup:
Didnt know that.

plan to ask my friend to get a flash... but too rush... he informed me very last mins, so by the time i make up my mind... not enough time to buy already....

but anyway, he will come SG again july... so see whether i have spare cash by then...(may want to buy a 100mm to play also, then my wife looks like want to get a fisheye to play... then no $$ haha....):sweatsm: