Preview of Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 9mm F8 Fisheye

spidey89

Staff member
Jun 6, 2007
South Western Singapore
As announced on Wednesday, 29th Oct, ClubSNAP was loaned a preproduction set for 2.5 days (last weekend) to have a preview of lens. The short preview will be highly image driven, rather than technical. In case you've missed it, here's a link to the E-M10 preview by Spidey89 & Wonglp.

Comes in 2 different colors, black or white.

NC_BCL0980_BLK_stand.jpg

The new M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 9mm F8 fisheye body lens cap is a compact lens that is so simple to use and simple in its design! It doesn't have a autofocus since the depth of field is very deep. Instead, it has a switch to switch between infinity, between infinity and 20cm close focus. Featuring 5 elements in 4 groups, 2 of which are aspherical, this lens is housed in a plastic body but feels solid enough for everyday uses. Weighing only 30g! It doesn't add any noticeable weight to the setup. A small and fun lens to use!

Here's the 9mm f8 fisheye lens on the new E-M10!
12206505615_6201a857d0_b.jpg

More pictures to follow!

Do note that all pictures are out of camera jpegs

Outside my window
12237007214_2db315dd68_c.jpg

Beware of vehicles
12236775143_e577116a95_c.jpg

Design of Chinese Garden Bridge
12236774993_a6a4004e40_c.jpg

The water at Chinese Garden
12236774593_ed61117593_c.jpg

People walking across the bridge
12237165926_2514c22820_c.jpg

People crossing the bridge
12237165706_7130a8f8fb_c.jpg

People Chillin
12236773793_85cde3ecec_c.jpg

Foreign works watching their friends playing cricket
12237164576_71d607c4ff_c.jpg

Chinese Garden entrance
12236584415_8178eaebd4_c.jpg

The bridge at the Chinese Garden entrance
12236584845_62965fc80f_c.jpg

People walking towards Chinese Garden
12237004404_bc6506e2e2_c.jpg

I've no idea where this auntie is going
12236772423_6e09b43779_c.jpg

Pole near Chinese Garden MRT
12236583275_30305a498d_c.jpg

Folks leaving the Chinese Garden Station
12236582855_4439941455_c.jpg

Number padlock
12236771373_b95bdfb561_c.jpg

Thank you for the preview.

Question:
Is there or is anyone aware of a way or a software that can unbend the curved fisheye images made with this lens into a flat normal image, as if it was shot with a UWA (non-fisheye) lens. Thanks. If yes, then good.

Thank you for the preview.

Question:
Is there or is anyone aware of a way or a software that can unbend the curved fisheye images made with this lens into a flat normal image, as if it was shot with a UWA (non-fisheye) lens. Thanks. If yes, then good.
Yes... it's called Fisheye Hemi ;)

Got it. Thanks.

The images from the lens don't look very "fisheye-d".. looks more like those from the UWA.. would it possible to provide some cropped pictures ?

The images from the lens don't look very "fisheye-d".. looks more like those from the UWA.. would it possible to provide some cropped pictures ?

If use it leveled to the horizon (camera parallel to ground), the fisheye distortion is not so visible as compared to say the Samyang 7.5mm MFT fisheye lens. It's slightly more visible at the corners than the middle.

Have to be off-level to see more distortions.

Here's a shot with that's off level.

Crop of left and right corners (OOC jpegs). As there's no electronic contacts in this lens, some chroma aberrations (left crop shot) can be seen. Overall a decent and fun lens that's so small that one wouldn't mind bringing out. I find it to be sharper than the Olympus 15F8 body lens cap, but certainly not the sharpest of most MFT lenses.

Last edited:
As wonglp has described, looking at the pic of the auntie, it looks more fish eye than others like the people on the beach

If used it leveled to the horizon (camera parallel to ground), the fisheye distortion is not so visible as compared to say the Samyang 7.5mm MFT fisheye lens. It's slightly more visible at the corners than the middle.

Have to be off-level to see more distortions.

Here's a shot with that's off level.

Crop of left and right corners (OOC jpegs). As there's no electronic contacts in this lens, some chroma aberrations (left crop shot) can be seen. Overall a decent and fun lens that's so small that one wouldn't mind bringing out. I find it to be sharper than the Olympus 15F8 body lens cap, but certainly not the sharpest of most MFT lenses.

Thanks! Looks like an interesting fun lens to get!

No pricing yet.

Now available in the stores ;)

Hey Keith, how is your experience with this lens? Think you had a chance to hands-on when u loan it from Olympus.

This lens is essentially a focus-free lens set at a fixed aperture of f/8 and does not communicate with the camera body and so does not record the aperture setting in the EXIF info of the images taken with it. We also have to tell the camera to set the focal length to 9mm in order for the IS to work correctly. Unfortunately for the OM1, there is no option to select 9mm. The nearest available option is 8mm.

Last edited:
Hey Keith, how is your experience with this lens? Think you had a chance to hands-on when u loan it from Olympus.

hi,

overall I will say quite good. But that is mainly because I went in with the right set of expectations

The lens is a body cap lens at f8 priced at around $135 (RRP)so street prices will be even better , the f8 will imply that its not going to be superb in low light situations. I had a lot of fun with the lens, plus points are that its really pocketable and easy to use. There are 2 distance settings (infinity and 2m) which adds to the ease of use too.

in all, a good toy lens to add to one's arsenal ;) just stuff in your pocket and go. At this price point, I really cannot argue for more :bsmilie:

a sample: used the grainy BW filter in this case.

1503873_676805895719389_2048170782_n.jpg

hi,

overall I will say quite good. But that is mainly because I went in with the right set of expectations

The lens is a body cap lens at f8 priced at around $135 (RRP)so street prices will be even better , the f8 will imply that its not going to be superb in low light situations. I had a lot of fun with the lens, plus points are that its really pocketable and easy to use. There are 2 distance settings (infinity and 2m) which adds to the ease of use too.

in all, a good toy lens to add to one's arsenal ;) just stuff in your pocket and go. At this price point, I really cannot argue for more :bsmilie:

a sample: used the grainy BW filter in this case.

Keith, how would you rate the sharpness? :)