PressLite Vertex for Flash photography

lsyjune

Feb 6, 2009
Hi...just bought my new PressLite Vertex...has anyone used this flash diffuser for outdoors shoot before? I bet the mirrored suface is redundant for outdoors, right? So, for outdoors shots, only use the white surface to diffuse flash light? Please comment. Thanks!!!=)

Why would you need to bounce outdoors? Just shoot straight-on. You can't bounce anywhere unless there's a building around you.

Yup, in fact my first test of it was outdoors. Tested both mirror and white surfaces, the white surface will provide the bounce flash effect and the mirror will provide a rather 'spotlight' effect. The mirror surface is to direct the flash to bounce off other surfaces.

Hi...just bought my new PressLite Vertex...has anyone used this flash diffuser for outdoors shoot before? I bet the mirrored suface is redundant for outdoors, right? So, for outdoors shots, only use the white surface to diffuse flash light? Please comment. Thanks!!!=)
you didn't read about it before you buy the thing?

Q: Will the VerteX™ work when there are no nearby walls or ceiling off which to bounce light (outside, in sunlight, for example)?
A: Yes, we emphasize bouncing light off nearby objects, as this is the only way to produce the largest, softest light source from a small external camera-mounted flash. The mirror(s) help to redirect light at its maximum intensity for the most efficient bounce. When there aren't any nearby objects to bounce, then the white diffusion panel(s) may be used to soften the light somewhat. Without ceiling, walls or nearby objects to bounce the light, however, it's simply impossible to avoid harsh shadows with a camera-mounted flash. Even increasing the size of the white diffuser panel to three or four times its size will not eliminate the harshness of the light. Outdoor daytime conditions often call for the full power of direct flash in order to offset the effects of the sun. No diffuser should be used in this situation. So while the VerteX™ may not help here, it also does not interfere, as it can be easily moved completely out of the way without having to remove it from the flash head.

Hi! Thanks for your comments! Well, actually i'm just beginning to take up flash photography, as i'm interested in events shoots/ potraitures...been only taking mainly travel shots with natural light...so i guess for my new PressLite Vertex in outdoors, i should only use either direct flash or the white-side of the panel to diffuse light for fill flash, rite?? And, in order to prevent stark brightness caused by direct flash outdoors, i can probably step down on the flash exposure, correct?? ...Understand that the mirrored surface is redundant in outdoors unless there's a surface to bounce off. =)

Despite the misconception that you can't bounce outdoors if there are no walls, buildings or ceilings nearby, actually, you CAN bounce outdoors!

See if anyone can figure out the technique.

Despite the misconception that you can't bounce outdoors if there are no walls, buildings or ceilings nearby, actually, you CAN bounce outdoors!

Erm, bounce off low-lying clouds? ;p I'm sure you're talking about reflectors..

There was someone asking how to shoot a group photo outdoors a while back. Was it you that suggested bouncing light into a reflector?

Yes.

Let's say no reflector.

How to bounce outdoors with no walls, ceiling or building?

Yes, that's one possibility, but it's cumbersome and slow.

What's faster, effective, and offers control? I could even decide to change the direction of the key or fill light in less than 2 seconds if I wanted. Flash still hotshoe mounted.

Old birds who know this .... dun let the cat outta the bag ah. :bsmilie:

Use a white umbrella?

Well, yeah, that's an idea, but people don't normally carry an umbrella in their back pockets where ever they go.

Keep it simple: No walls, no ceiling, no tees, no studio equipment like brollies.

You're outdoors - a dazzling subject comes into view, and you have 5 seconds to do this. You KNOW the shot would look so much better if you bounced the flash or used directional light.

How do you do it?

Any takers?

the floor?

Use your palm to act as a bouncecard?

BINGO!

Flip remembers what I shared during DP's hoot sees eye! LOL!

But using your palm give you much more directional control. Just be sure to adjust your WB.

wow! ok i shall try using my palm to bounce off the flash light...then isn't it even better if i have a piece of A4 paper folded in half to do the job instead of using my palm? Thanks!

if you have ladies in your group, get a mirror from them also does the job ba. My iphone has the reflective (finger prints) protector and can be used as a reflector at times too. I'm thinking of using vertex for lighter alternative since GF LS really too damn big and take up so much space in the bag. Anyone can comment on the durability?