Preperation for a Safari trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

pommie

Jan 2, 2007
Hi, I'm a proud newbie owner of a D80. I'm looking at taking a trip to Kenya and wanted some advice on equipment.

I was thinking of buying the Sigma 70-300 APO DG lens, would this be sufficient for a newbie?
Also What lightweight tripod or monopod would you recommend?

Any other pointers appreciated.

Hi, I'm a proud newbie owner of a D80. I'm looking at taking a trip to Kenya and wanted some advice on equipment.

I was thinking of buying the Sigma 70-300 APO DG lens, would this be sufficient for a newbie?
Also What lightweight tripod or monopod would you recommend?

Any other pointers appreciated.
:think: don think you will need a monopod with that lens, its better handheld...

congrats on your purchased!
There is a saying that once u been to Africa, u will be hooked for life! haha ... at least I am.
few things ...
A lot of times, u will be shooting from vehicle (it is too dangerous to get down from vehicle). so a bean bag is necessary (bring the bag but buy the grain there). At lake nakuru, u will need tripod.
for wildlife, 70-300 will be ok but birds, u may need a longer lens.
if u r new to the equipment, I would highly recommend you familiarise with them before you embark on the trip.
several other things
Photography
1. bring enough hard disk to store pics. i shoot Raw, so I need approx 3G to 7G per day.
2. need to gauge how much batteries u need. some places has no electricity. u will need to clarify with your tour operator
3. type of vehicle. it affect your shooting. best is 4x4 with open top
4. some tools to clean equipment - alot of dust
5. wide angle for scenery
6.they may bring you to a masai warrior camp to see performance. so portrait lens if u have
7. flash light for fill in flash

general
1. per driver will need US$5 per person per day. cook is US$4 person per day as a rough guide. ask your tour operator. they will feel very offended if you did not give
2. chilly at night n hot in day
3. torch light
4.yellow fever vaccination if not you will not allow to be in.can get from tan tock seng travel clinic.u will alos need malaria pills.

last but not least a great sense of humour!

will PM you some details.
have fun
cheers

the seasoned wildlife pro speaks! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.