Prepare yourself for price hike in year 2014

Jedi

Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
This year, we would expect inflation continues to rise.

If you have the time, do monitor the prices for food, etc.

The result of the transport fare hike by PTC will be out soon, so that will be the first thing to watch out for. Taxi fares have already risen, so now left with MRT and Bus.

All of us must think of ways to combat inflation. Complaining in the Internet space aka keyboard warriors is not going to help yourself or others.

The fact is that prices will go up whether you like or not.

All of us must think of ways to combat inflation. Complaining in the Internet space aka keyboard warriors is not going to help yourself or others.

The fact is that prices will go up whether you like or not.

Your statements seems contradictory to me, and if it will go up whether we like it or not then whats the use of trying ?
Don't get me wrong, I don't like price hike either but it will take more than just thinking.

Your statements seems contradictory to me, and if it will go up whether we like it or not then whats the use of trying ?
Don't get me wrong, I don't like price hike either but it will take more than just thinking.

Yo, yes, no doubt that we can't control over price hike, but we can combat inflation.

Just an example, lunar new year is around the corner, a friend of mine is going to JB to buy all the new year goodies due to cheaper prices than Singapore.

Many people do not realise that every dollar value depreciates over time due to inflation. If your salary cannot keep up inflation, your purchasing power is eroding over time. A friend of mine just got a $50 increment. But he told me that he struggling to keep up with the standard of living. Those lower income groups will be the hardest hit because inflation hits everybody.

My egg price going to be $1! Nvm, I save up by walking back home from office, 7km, can train for my upcoming trip. haha!

will we see $1.50 for coffee in coffee shop soon?

inflation is running out of control.....

My egg price going to be $1! Nvm, I save up by walking back home from office, 7km, can train for my upcoming trip. haha!

And lose weight and increase fitness at the same time. Not a bad idea :think:

Percentage change in median real income excluding employer cpf in 2012 is negative.
Lets wait and see what 2013 figures are.

I am afraid that with people hankering after pay raises, this will be the consequence. It's a cycle. If you want more pay, so does the next guy and so the cycle goes on.
I have suggested in the past, that instead of pay raises, we should control the costs, and keep the costs down. Not artificially suppressing costs like petrol prices in Indo / Malaysia, but say those HDB hawker centres / coffeshops should not let people go crazy with their rental bids and then drive up food prices in order to make a profit.

All of us must think of ways to combat inflation.

Don't buy drinks during lunch or dinner
Carry water container with tap water
Buy food without egg
Don't shop and buy unneeded things
Avoid luxury goods
Avoid all shopping centres
Give less money to parents
Don't upgrade camera/lens for 3 years
Stop donating money
Less movies more free TV
Save water and electricity, less air-con
Refrain from taxis
Maximum wedding ang pows $50
New Year Ang Pows $2
Pak Kum $10
No restaurant meals
Fast one day every week
Cut up 3 credit cards
Read more loan shark harassment stories
Walk to close destinations
Send the maid home
Pay less tax
Bargain hard at wet market
Holiday only in Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia
Don't buy newspapers
Only borrow books from library
Recycle and reuse
Ebay all your unwanted stuff
Play monopoly (pirated set)

Reactions: hanzohattori
The problem is.. hawker centers rent is a minor component in the overall rent market. I agree with the cost control approach, Sg have adopted the free market approach for far too long.
Sadly the free market is not so free, its controlled by capitalists.

Don't buy drinks during lunch or dinner
Carry water container with tap water
Ebay all your unwanted stuff
Play monopoly (pirated set)

Not sure if you are serious or not.. but this is some of the sensible solutions.
The UK are debating about energy prices, electricity in particular.
One energy company suggesting reducing hot drinks, taking shower together, and playing monopoly instead of xboxes, ps etc.
One of the energy co. exec once suggested to turn off heating and wear long johns in winter.
He said,'Since when wearing shorts and tshirts indoor in winter is sensible?'

Walking 7km to and fro everyday?

Are you going to walk to Paris? :)

Not going to walk till so far. Ever tried 16km walk after night shift. Just like army time, haha!

Cannot afford to do even that. Siong. Below poverty line.

Garment already said we dun need poverty line in Singapore. No such thing here. :)

2 bus stops, walk, not worth to take bus unless u can't walk. 3 to 4 bus stops, if can find shortcut, walk. 5 bus stop, if still got shortcut, walk! 6 bus stop and above, take bus, no choice, haha!

50 cents per eggs, ok, can eat often. 60 cents, try to find 50 cents first. 70 cents, if no choice, get it else forget about it. 80 cents and above, get yourself a tray of eggs and cook your self or eat raw with hot milo, haha!

Meals, buy 5 to 6 dishes and share. Cost less and can fill up too if you and partner are light eater. For me, no choice, can finish one box but will cut down on next meal, mostly maggi mee.

Shower only when you stink, else if can, go office and shower (if got shower facilities.) Charge whatever batteries at office whenever possible (a lot doing that, haha!) Get a tv recorder, playback during weekend day time as to save lights. Fast forward to save watching time, 15 mins could be shaved off.

All above is what I could think of and can need not apply to anyone of you. ;p

Last edited:
The problem is.. hawker centers rent is a minor component in the overall rent market. I agree with the cost control approach, Sg have adopted the free market approach for far too long.
Sadly the free market is not so free, its controlled by capitalists.

This isn't a hawker, but rent increase by 140% has forced them out... which means the new tenant has to cope with such rent and pass on the pain in the form of prices of food:
http://www.soshiok.com/content/rentals-businesses-out

Food, air travel and hobbies make the most significant contribution to daily expense, apart from loans / rent costs.