Preowned tam 90 macro queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

VainKid

Aug 1, 2009
Bedok
I just met a CS seller an hour ago, when checking lens, I spot a patch of white fine spot covering 1/4 of the lens inside (from the insertion opening towards the sensor) I have no picture on that but I Tried to see through, test shots but doesn't affect IQ, I spot it at an angle of 45degree. Looks like floating on surface of the internal glass.

Secondly is there 2 version for tam 90mm macro? What's the preowned mkt rate for both af n non-af version?

sounds like fungus.

did the seller say what it was?

if it is fungus, and he is trying to sell it as good condition, you should expose him here to either educate him, or if he is doing it knowingly, make sure that no one gets suckered by him.

Not Sure if he knows but I didn't expose him, just reject politely when I am damn mad. Exterior is excellent but seller claim to be dust that can be remove easily, I try blow it doesn't seems so and seller wasn't honest too, didn't claim it's a non motorized version but it's fine... Bro nightmare, I soft hearted la, he look like a kid that why I didn't expose him

Some of the parts of this lens are sealed (a group of lens molded in plastic mount).
A bit risky to buy.

Some sellers pretend they don't know but there's also those who honestly unaware of what fungus is

Not Sure if he knows but I didn't expose him, just reject politely when I am damn mad. Exterior is excellent but seller claim to be dust that can be remove easily, I try blow it doesn't seems so and seller wasn't honest too, didn't claim it's a non motorized version but it's fine... Bro nightmare, I soft hearted la, he look like a kid that why I didn't expose him

well, to be fair, there was a time when i didn't know what fungus was.. but it happened once only. :)

anyhow, this is what fungus looks like, this is heavy stuff, i think it would be not so common unless the guy has really abused it badly:

Fungus01.jpg

the next time you can look up through it at the light, you should be able to see something like this:

http://jameslimphoto.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/img_3629a1.jpg

which is a more common degree..

spiderweb patterns, etc. basically something that looks organic.

well, it could be dust as well, i am not sure.. but in any case it is not a good thing to be present on the lens, and perhaps letting people know so that they won't get ripped off is a good thing.

Thks man for the picture. Now i know what fungus looks like.

Cheers:)

Thks man for the picture. Now i know what fungus looks like.

Cheers:)

i hope you looked at the link as well - i didn't link it because there is a watermark.

that's a better representation of what fungus looks like.

the photo i posted is heavily infested lens, fungus can manifest in much smaller degree where you have to look more closely to detect it.

Yes night mare bro, it look like that but not fully cover, just 1/4 of the glass element and the color is white greyish

Yes night mare bro, it look like that but not fully cover, just 1/4 of the glass element and the color is white greyish
sounds like u've got mushrooms on your glass. bring to the camera workshop to have it assessed.
but if it's 1/4 of the rear element, chances are that the infection is already quite proliferate and the damage is severe.

sounds like u've got mushrooms on your glass. bring to the camera workshop to have it assessed.
but if it's 1/4 of the rear element, chances are that the infection is already quite proliferate and the damage is severe.

Hi Clown. I think the TS did not buy the lens in the end. Smart move.

then you'd best let everyone here know the name of this seller, along with his selling thread.

what condition did he state it as? mint? the horror.

bro i think its not nice to expose people but i didnt see his thread, i post at WTB in B&S section and this seller sms me

then you'd best let everyone here know the name of this seller, along with his selling thread.

what condition did he state it as? mint? the horror.
he its excellent condition on exterior almost mint.

Hi Clown. I think the TS did not buy the lens in the end. Smart move.

Thank u guys for the concern, actually i almost bought it because i didnt have experience buying preowned lens but close shave that i had a friend who intro me into photography to come along, i didnt know it was fungus but my friend suspected it and i was told to clarified here before buying... Seller was dishonest too, he quote me the price of a auto lens for a manual lens and claim that the speck of white spot actually doesnt make a diff

he its excellent condition on exterior almost mint.

mint = fungus or even dust within the lens at the very least? assuming we take your word for it.

well, it's your choice, i would most certainly feel very justified in listing out the number at the very least for the greater good. it would be sad if a few weeks later someone starts another of those unhappy threads where they got cheated and you recognise the thing being ranted about. :bsmilie:

but anyhow, it's your choice.. cheers!

Thank for everyone help anyway... Cheers

Dont know the seller CS name / real name but contact number is 9822 0860.

Last edited:
there is an older Tamron manual focus 90mm macro f2.5 that is no longer in production..... dont know about now, but there was quite a strong cult following built around it then

Thanks ED... probably i moving toward the tam180... just haven feel it on hand because i intend to do handheld

bro i think its not nice to expose people but i didnt see his thread, i post at WTB in B&S section and this seller sms me

It's nicer to offer defective lenses to unknowing people? No, as night86mare mentioned: if seller is unknowing he needs to be educated. If seller is deliberately selling the lens as 'mint' despite the fungus it's called [insert appropriate legal term here]. Both needs to be made known. Sweeping under rug is the wrong way.

Status
Not open for further replies.