Preofessional L1 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
iso pretty good, but still a little away compared to n and c camp. :thumbsup:
but that might also be due to different lighting we see from other test on other camera

guess for the most "accurate" review we will have to wait for DP. :think:

interesting... perhaps the future 'consumer-grade' (i use this term loosely for the L1) RF camera for the masses? one thing i do like is the packing of the leica kit lens (an oxymoron, IMO) with this cam. :thumbsup:

hope its available at the shops soon!

ExplorerZ said:
iso pretty good, but still a little away compared to n and c camp. :thumbsup:
but that might also be due to different lighting we see from other test on other camera

guess for the most "accurate" review we will have to wait for DP. :think:

Noise is always the big concern for when it come to image quality. But one must not forget that the L1 comes with a great Leica lens with image stabilisation. The image stabilisation is effectively giving us 3 more f-stops equivalent to play with which is really useful. Instead of shooting with ISO1600, I believe shooting a ISO800 with image stabilisation can give me equal or better results then if i would with ISO1600 without stabilisation.

Thefore IMHO, i think the L1 is the best prosumer DLSR out there in the market.

lightning69 said:
Noise is always the big concern for when it come to image quality. But one must not forget that the L1 comes with a great Leica lens with image stabilisation. The image stabilisation is effectively giving us 3 more f-stops equivalent to play with which is really useful. Instead of shooting with ISO1600, I believe shooting a ISO800 with image stabilisation can give me equal or better results then if i would with ISO1600 without stabilisation.

No disrespect, but remember, IS based DSLR lens costs big time. Its not as if they were producing it for fixed focal ranged camera's.

I'm beginning to wonder if any new beginner would buy the L1 aside from the old-timer's...

And remember ISO aint everything in a DSLR, not totally. Functionality, Flexibility and Speed for the body alone determines which is better for the price paid, minus the lens of course.

lightning69 said:

agreed, but two questions... can IS freeze a moving object? :dunno:
and does all lens give you IS on that body? < ans no its only the kit lens, rmb you are going to pay 3k for that kit (including the kit lens)

anyway if you said L1 is best prosumer DSLR out there, how about Sony Alpha? its even better with built-in camera IS

personally i would rather take a stop higher ISO control rather than 2-3 stop of IS. I find it very very useful.

no doubt the lens is gooood and camera design is unique but its up to the buyer to decide where its worth the cash (roughly 3k), as for me i rather get a canon 350d (cos of good noise control) + another "L" lens maybe.

metallilan said:
No disrespect, but remember, IS based DSLR lens costs big time. Its not as if they were producing it for fixed focal ranged camera's.

I'm beginning to wonder if any new beginner would buy the L1 aside from the old-timer's...

And remember ISO aint everything in a DSLR, not totally. Functionality, Flexibility and Speed for the body alone determines which is better for the price paid, minus the lens of course.

You're right, IS lens cost a bomb, but pana has include it with all the digicams and they cost so much less. And you right that ISO insn't everything, and overall fuctionality is...that is why the L1 is simply one of the best you can get in terms of functionality and ease of use of a traditional SLR cam. Many camera company such as c & n are cutting corners by removing those analog dial and using menu to navigate, but pana is finally bringing back those good old analog controls.

All i am hoping is pana to drop the price and i will get myself a good old fashion L1.

ExplorerZ said:
agreed, but two questions... can IS freeze a moving object? :dunno:
and does all lens give you IS on that body? < ans no its only the kit lens, rmb you are going to pay 3k for that kit (including the kit lens)

anyway if you said L1 is best prosumer DSLR out there, how about Sony Alpha? its even better with built-in camera IS

personally i would rather take a stop higher ISO control rather than 2-3 stop of IS. I find it very very useful.

no doubt the lens is gooood and camera design is unique but its up to the buyer to decide where its worth the cash (roughly 3k), as for me i rather get a canon 350d (cos of good noise control) + another "L" lens maybe.

No...IM cannot freeze a moving object, so does ISO!!!

lightning69 said:
You're right, IS lens cost a bomb, but pana has include it with all the digicams and they cost so much less. And you right that ISO insn't everything, and overall fuctionality is...that is why the L1 is simply one of the best you can get in terms of functionality and ease of use of a traditional SLR cam. Many camera company such as c & n are cutting corners by removing those analog dial and using menu to navigate, but pana is finally bringing back those good old analog controls.

All i am hoping is pana to drop the price and i will get myself a good old fashion L1.

Features wise i think Pana is alright, manual controls is a plus point.

However, i'm disappointed that they included the 'live view technology'. IMO the technology is not much of a plus point, maybe for consumers from the PnS realm who wants to try DSLR, but if you look at the market of things, the budget DSLR is dominant of C & N who's non-'live view' dslr are a hit for those who wants WYSIWYG image capturing, don't need to ask about the prosumer series line(like the D200) and the high end lind(D2X, 1DMKII).

IMO, panasonic's next DSLR should be an old school typed WYSIWYG DSLR, i think the whole 'live view' thing is spoiling what a true SLR camera is like, aside from the new technology like IS and anti-dust, and the manual control of course.

I guess panasonic wants people to spend more on 'live view' then spend a few hundred bucks on an angle finder..

metallilan said:
Features wise i think Pana is alright, manual controls is a plus point.

However, i'm disappointed that they included the 'live view technology'. IMO the technology is not much of a plus point, maybe for consumers from the PnS realm who wants to try DSLR, but if you look at the market of things, the budget DSLR is dominant of C & N who's non-'live view' dslr are a hit for those who wants WYSIWYG image capturing, don't need to ask about the prosumer series line(like the D200) and the high end lind(D2X, 1DMKII).

IMO, panasonic's next DSLR should be an old school typed WYSIWYG DSLR, i think the whole 'live view' thing is spoiling what a true SLR camera is like, aside from the new technology like IS and anti-dust, and the manual control of course.

I guess panasonic wants people to spend more on 'live view' then spend a few hundred bucks on an angle finder..
Have you ever tried taking shots down at the ground level with your DSLR? If you have, is it possible to compose the shot thru the viewfinder without having to prostrate yourself on the ground? And what happens if the ground is filthy or wet? Would you give up taking that shot even though you knew it would turn out to be a great shot. :dunno:
Well, you don't have to if you have a Live View DSLR.

Also, having Live View does not mean that you cannot choose to use the viewfinder of the DSLR to compose your shots. Just take it as if you have a built-in angle finder if you like. After all, the difference in price between a Live View DSLR (like the E-330) and a non-Live view DSLR (E-500) is about the cost of an actual angle finder anyway. Turn it on when you want to take those shots that could not be taken easily any other way and turn it off for the normal shots where you want to pretend you are using an old school SLR. And you can definitely pretend even better with a camera that has analog controls like those on the L1. ;)

tomcat said:
Have you ever tried taking shots down at the ground level with your DSLR? If you have, is it possible to compose the shot thru the viewfinder without having to prostrate yourself on the ground? And what happens if the ground is filthy or wet? Would you give up taking that shot even though you knew it would turn out to be a great shot. :dunno:
Well, you don't have to if you have a Live View DSLR.

Actually i do, most of the time i agak-agak...hehe.

Like this one, taken on the road before the traffic went green... :bsmilie:

Well, with Live View, you would not have to agak agak. You will know for sure the shot that you are taking is perfectly framed. Would certainly save a lot of time and effort in getting the shot right. If nothing else, it would certainly reduce the risk of getting knocked down by a car, wouldn't you say? ;)

If it's price drops a little and if I managed to save up enuf I will definitely get this camera;)

lightning69 said:

haha if you are comparing L1 with digital traditional SLR design of cos its the first becos its the only one so far (talking about modern dSLR)... so theres no comparison. but if you wan to compare with film theres no way... 1 CCD... 1 Film... 1 WB... 1 filter to adjust WB.
so how you going to compare?and as for IS, making in Digicam give you IS for all the focal length available while putting it in kit lens means you get IS only for that kit lens. you will have to spent other money for other focal length as well just like C n N camp.

No...IM cannot freeze a moving object, so does ISO!!!
if ISO cannot freeze action much den what doesn't people who shoot in world cup use? flash? :dunno:
i agree that sometimes it doesn't help much but aleast its help much much more to freeze moving object as compared to what IS can give (unless you want to talk about panning :sweat:)
even when doing panning, a fast shutter speed will also make panning easier.

just to add on, i rather they price it at slightly above 2k with everything the same rather than a lens with IS. at least this give consumer a choice to decide if they want to spent $ on the more expensive great Leica IS lens. if they want they can get it seperately.

ExplorerZ said:
just to add on, i rather they price it at slightly above 2k with everything the same rather than a lens with IS. at least this give consumer a choice to decide if they want to spent $ on the more expensive great Leica IS lens. if they want they can get it seperately.

L1 is all about the Leica lens, simple as that. The top notch lens makes the setup good. Makes no sense to have a cheaper version without it. For that, you can buy Olympus.

Any idea when will it be available locally?

weekh said:
Any idea when will it be available locally?
If you don't like the Live View of the E-330, you probably won't like the Live View of the L1 especially since the display is not even articulated like that of the E-330. :think:

tomcat said:
If you don't like the Live View of the E-330, you probably won't like the Live View of the L1 especially since the display is not even articulated like that of the E-330. :think:

May get the L1 to use as a DSLR. I just love the rangefinder look of the cam.
Or get the Leica lens and use it on a E3 / E5. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.