precaution while switching lens ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chew Siow Ming

Dec 21, 2004
Singapore
need some advices on the precaution to take while switching lens.

I think dust went into my camera while i was switching between lens during my last outdoor shooting, and pic turned out to be extremely disappointed when i noticed few dark spots on the exact location on many of the pic.

I tried to face the camera lens mount down while changing lens, but dust still find its way in.

any extra precaution needed plse...:cry:

Chew Siow Ming said:

I think dust went into my camera while i was switching between lens during my last outdoor shooting, and pic turned out to be extremely disappointed when i noticed few dark spots on the exact location on many of the pic.

I tried to face the camera lens mount down while changing lens, but dust still find its way in.

There is NO way to prevent dust from going into the camera, even if you don change lens.

static generated by the sensor will attract dust. that's y the above cs member says "There is NO way to prevent dust from going into the camera."

though Olympus and Sony ultrasonic/antistatic anti-dust function on sensor may help.

Try not to change lens in dusty/windy environment :sweat:

You can don't buy the camera, then you never have to worry about this problem. :)

Dust.jpg

is these dust ?? those black spots near the clouds. unbearable. wonder how it get in. it stay in the same location on the rest of the pic.

you mean stick to one lens throughout the outdoor shoot & change lens at home only ?

i ever bring in dust from body cap! I normally just throw the lens and camera cap into my bag where there is some hair ball. took the body cap with hairball inside. Close my cam with the cap and needless to say, have to send my cam for servicing. ;(

hanafi said:
i ever bring in dust from body cap! I normally just throw the lens and camera cap into my bag where there is some hair ball. took the body cap with hairball inside. Close my cam with the cap and needless to say, have to send my cam for servicing.

any reliable place beside NSC to recommend ?

im using canon btw... so I sent to CSC. You can try The Camera Workshop if you cam is not under warranty.

to be honest, you are better off spending money on some high quality cleaning swabs than always sending to CSC.. from what i heard, its not like they do a fantastic job..

i think not changing lens at a shoot, just cos u are scared to get dust, is a bit too much.

dust can always get rid of on PS... but u cant replicate a focal length effect say, if you dont have that lens on the camera.. the important thing, is to get the shot, and if that means having to change a lens, then change the lens.

although i cant vouch for its efficacy, some have advised that if you are going t ochange the lens, turn off the camera first. that way, it may help to reduce any static through the CCD and prevent dust sticking whilst u make the change. but no harm in doing it i guess.

one other precaution u can take, is just to make sure the camera is cleaned or dust free, before u go for a shoot.

just shoot a blue sky, or a white wall at a F/22 or thereabouts, then scan it in PS. dust spots should show up. someone mentioned about doing an auto-level as well.

Chew Siow Ming said:

Dust entering lens or body is inevitable as many had said. What you can do is to prevent changing lens in adverse dusty environment. If you need to change lens, you need to change lens, there is nothing you can do.

But, once you are in a clean environment, you can remove the lens, UV protector and check against light source whether the dust particles on lens or body senser, or focusing screen and remove them by a good lens cloth and blower-brush.
I had done that exactly last night and hope this help!:)

jtredd said:
to be honest, you are better off spending money on some high quality cleaning swabs than always sending to CSC.. from what i heard, its not like they do a fantastic job..

i think not changing lens at a shoot, just cos u are scared to get dust, is a bit too much.

dust can always get rid of on PS... but u cant replicate a focal length effect say, if you dont have that lens on the camera.. the important thing, is to get the shot, and if that means having to change a lens, then change the lens.

although i cant vouch for its efficacy, some have advised that if you are going t ochange the lens, turn off the camera first. that way, it may help to reduce any static through the CCD and prevent dust sticking whilst u make the change. but no harm in doing it i guess.

one other precaution u can take, is just to make sure the camera is cleaned or dust free, before u go for a shoot.

just shoot a blue sky, or a white wall at a F/22 or thereabouts, then scan it in PS. dust spots should show up. someone mentioned about doing an auto-level as well.

agreed with u, nevertheless, ignoring dust entering, pic turned out to be bad too, need to spent more time on PS... appreciate for advice & tips. cheers

steplim said:
Dust entering lens or body is inevitable as many had said. What you can do is to prevent changing lens in adverse dusty environment. If you need to change lens, you need to change lens, there is nothing you can do.

But, once you are in a clean environment, you can remove the lens, UV protector and check against light source whether the dust particles on lens or body senser, or focusing screen and remove them by a good lens cloth and blower-brush.
I had done that exactly last night and hope this help!

i usually blow away the dust on both cam & lens just B4 i fit in my lens, but my last trip was a total catastrophe, pic above as evident....:thumbsd: :thumbsd: tks for tips

buy olympus DSLR. Change lens like nobody's business also no dust :)

Chew Siow Ming said:
agreed with u, nevertheless, ignoring dust entering, pic turned out to be bad too, need to spent more time on PS... appreciate for advice & tips. cheers

my ps skills are not great, im quite a newbie, but its not hard to fix dust spots, just fix them like u would pimples with spot healing brush..

Chew Siow Ming said:
Dust.jpg

is these dust ?? those black spots near the clouds. unbearable. wonder how it get in. it stay in the same location on the rest of the pic.

you mean stick to one lens throughout the outdoor shoot & change lens at home only ?

from the photo, seems like the dust is quite bad. I noticed a slightly longer marking there, much more bigger than a dust spot.

dominator said:
from the photo, seems like the dust is quite bad. I noticed a slightly longer marking there, much more bigger than a dust spot.

Ya..ya... wonder what is that too.. very disgusting... anyway, sent all pic taken that day to the RECYCLE BIN liao. can't bear to take another glance.

Chew Siow Ming said:
Ya..ya... wonder what is that too.. very disgusting... anyway, sent all pic taken that day to the RECYCLE BIN liao. can't bear to take another glance.

aiya, whyd u do that... just keep the pics. they are not that bad. its nt that hard to touch them up... and if your PS skills arent up to scratch now, im sure some CSer will help u out.

Status
Not open for further replies.