Praktica SLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

LustForLife

Feb 3, 2005
is this brand of manual cam good??? i heard it is M42 mount from someone and it's supposed to be better to be a M42 screw mount. can anyone gimme more details?

Not bad lah, but expect leica quality. Shutter is quite reliable and strong but I've seen crack casing so I think it uses thin metal top cover rather then casted metal. I somehow always try to avoid camera that use CdS meter cell. While ok they are other choices that use better cell out there.

But then, most of these camera are quite reliable as you can tell that they are more then 20yrs old at least. Modern technology entry model can be as cheap as these old manual camera. For someone who want to do photography it is cheaper and easier to get more modern AF. If you want to get job done it is faster also. Most modern entry modern is capable of what you need to do to produce professional result.

Anything you can control shutter and aperture is all you need. Av/Tv basically make you work alittle faster, program mode is nothing more then letting the camera to decide the shutter and aperture too. All these are useful ofcos. You can do this for any basic slr if you like to take control of it.

So, for cost and speed and just a camera. Get a modern slr.

When to consider mechnical slr then?

1.If you want user interactive photography.

2.If you produce a picture you like and you know are the one responsible for it.

3.You will be able to replicate the same result since you produce it with total setting control.

4.Your slr became your partner then tools because you have to decide what the camera will do and your partner carry out your idea without doubting your capability.

5.You build relationship with your faithful partner for next 20yrs/30yrs with not worry about upgrades. Since enhancement will only give you convienence but not end result.

whoelse said:
I somehow always try to avoid camera that use CdS meter cell.

Any reason why you would avoid CdS?

whoelse said:
But then, most of these camera are quite reliable as you can tell that they are more then 20yrs old at least. Modern technology entry model can be as cheap as these old manual camera. For someone who want to do photography it is cheaper and easier to get more modern AF. If you want to get job done it is faster also. Most modern entry modern is capable of what you need to do to produce professional result.

I have to disagree on this, since the body of the camera is just one of the cheapest component of the whole SLR system. It may to true to a certain extent that an entry AF model may be cheaper than an old manual camera, say for about 50 or 100 bucks. But what about the lenses? Would an EOS lens be any cheaper than the FD lenses? Would an A-mount lens be cheaper than a MD lens?

Also, in terms of maintenance, how much easier would an entry level AF SLR malfunction as compared to a mechanical manual SLR? Would it be any cheaper to repair the AF camera as compared to the mechanical one? How many times can you drop a AF camera as compared to a mechanical one anyway? :bsmilie:

A penny-wise pound foolish advice?

By the way, I can't give any advice with regards to the Praktica or the screwmount, since I'd never touch them in my life before! :) However, if you're asking me what's "good", my answer would simply be: A "good" camera is a working camera. Even a meter-less camera and one have a slight light leak could give wonderful images sometimes!! :bsmilie:

Cds ah, generally ok but less responsive then SPD/CPD cell. Some old one maybe out of accuracy too. unless no other choice, go more modern cell.

True, agree with you about len cost. Think you are right. Some time you may also see people selling away their camera like MZ-6 with len for $250, I saw someone selling EOS50e with 28-105 USM for $350 etc so depend lah.

Cheat, what manual gem you have? ;)

You have to consider where are you going to repair/overhaul the praktica when it breaks down. Might not be possible in s'pore. I went to p&g @ adelphi with an old prakitca slr, the owner said he can't repair it as the body components cannot be removed seperately and anyway he doesn't have the parts for replacement.

whoelse said:
Cheat, what manual gem you have? ;)

OT Alert!

I don't have any manual gem now... only a Bronica. Does that count? :D
Am going to ship in the best SLR based on the survey done in 1997 (think it's your thread! :p) I love zuikos!!

well, these east german tanks are quite reliable. only beef is that the shutter slams a bit hard and can cause unwanted vibrations.

there are a number of great lenses that use the M42 screw mount. it'll fit other brands besides praktica, e.g. pentax, zenit and yashica to name a few. only thing is it slows you down a bit if you change lenses often.

The_Cheat said:
OT Alert!

I don't have any manual gem now... only a Bronica. Does that count? :D
Am going to ship in the best SLR based on the survey done in 1997 (think it's your thread! :p) I love zuikos!!

the OM1? ;p

went down to see the praktica camera i saw in cash converters just now. it's was equipped with a 50mm lens.

anyway the weight of it is good, sturdy built and the rewind thingy is well built too (i think lah..)

but then thing is...the viewfinder like got some dirt on it...

and the price tag like too high for it... 199 for that thingy which stops me from purchasing it because don't know much about this german camera.

it's a praktica BMS btw so if anyone interested can go down get it.

No need repair, get another one from ebay. As cheap as USD$20 add usd$20 for shipping. Repair/Overhaul minimum is $140 u see.

foxtwo said:
You have to consider where are you going to repair/overhaul the praktica when it breaks down. Might not be possible in s'pore. I went to p&g @ adelphi with an old prakitca slr, the owner said he can't repair it as the body components cannot be removed seperately and anyway he doesn't have the parts for replacement.

217_Praktica%20MTL50_front.jpg

-
217_Praktica%20MTL50_top.jpg

-
217_Praktica%20MTL50_back.jpg

-
217_Praktica%20MTL50_bottom.jpg

-
Last model of L series, October 1985 to December 1989:
Mechanically controlled vertical-moving metal-blade focal plane shutter
B, 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/15 1/30, 1/60, 1/125, 1/250,1/500, 1/1000
PX 28 or 4xLR44
X-synchronisation (1/125)

nice MTL 50, whoelse.

i got one from CC for $60, leather was peeling a bit, so just glued it back.

whoelse said:
No need repair, get another one from ebay. As cheap as USD$20 add usd$20 for shipping. Repair/Overhaul minimum is $140 u see.

not that i want one, just happen to have one from my dad's time. just too bad it wasn't in working condition :dunno:

patch17 said:
nice MTL 50, whoelse.

where is CC!!!! i also want!!! looking for them second hand...if cannnot get i think must try at ebay or something.

whoelse said:

heng i never buy from cash converters sia...knn sell so expensive!!!

LustForLife said:
where is CC!!!! i also want!!! looking for them second hand...if cannnot get i think must try at ebay or something.

CC = Cash Converters

wah lau eh why this one so exp...199 sia.

patch17 said:
nice MTL 50, whoelse.

Patch always find treasure in CC when he was still in Singapore... luckily he'd relocated, else he would sure sweep up all the treasures! ;p

I did see a Yashica Electro GSN at TPY CC at $15 three days ago. Wasn't tempted by it though... too small! :bsmilie:

LustForLife said:
wah lau eh why this one so exp...199 sia.

There are a lot of reasons for why people sell their things at different rates... some wanted to earn a profit, some always get things new and gauge 20 to 40% off the original price they bought the item at, some just simply wanted to get rid of it, amongst many other reasons. All these reasons are valid though, and that's the main reason why the second hand market is so varied in prices. FYI, there's no such thing as a standard used price for ANY item! There are certain market forces that would determine the general trend though, but not an actual price.

Hence, with such variations in prices, one must definitely do lots of research in order to get a good deal. If you're not keen on researching, then either get things new, or just trust the dealers from used photography shops like TCW, CamX or P&G. Yes, they earn a little bit of profit, but at least you won't stand a risk of having a good "bargain" on a non-functioning camera!

Status
Not open for further replies.