Practice Portraits

khsay

Sep 29, 2010
Hi, bros... Where do you practice you portraits shots on? Do I have to join photoshoot org by the CSers ? Any where that can get opportunity to shoot portraits?

You do not have to join anything to shoot portraits. Here's what you can do:

1. Read up as much as you can on portrature. Resource such as www and books from library are available and free.
2. Get a subject and shoot using the info that you acquired in step 1. Subjects can be anybody or anything; a relative, a partner, a soft toy etc.
3. See results and play with settinge to get different effects
4. Repeat step 1.

Hi, bros... Where do you practice you portraits shots on? Do I have to join photoshoot org by the CSers ? Any where that can get opportunity to shoot portraits?
you can start with your family members, friends, colleagues, neighbors etc...
and go library books borrow some books about portrait photography.

the pitfall and worst things about learning portraiture is become too stereotype, believe in using particularly gears, specific setting, and only shoot one type of subject.

the pitfall and worst things about learning portraiture is become too stereotype, believe in using particularly gears, specific setting, and only shoot one type of subject.

I agree... have seen too many people too "focus" on their equipments and thinking that only thru getting more expensive lens/body would their skill improve. Often they would put the blame on the equipment and not themselves. :dunno:

Personally for portraiture shots I would like to explore different genre and theme than to stick with just 1 or 2. Else it would really get bored after sometime.... :sweat:

Thks all bro for your advice. I got a 7D and EF-S 17-55mm IS USM which i am very satisified with. However, since my skills are not good i need more exposure and tons of practice. I am a little skeptical to pay 30-40 bucks to shoot a beautiful model... of course the picture... ppls will focus on the model's beauty rather than my skills...

I cant shoot TFCD, cos the model will be dissappointed with my poor skills... which is why I am trying to find extra sources of potential targets for protrait shooting without paying for a fee.

Best way is to get your relatives to pose for you. Take this as family fun/bonding exercise. Try not to make it so serious, but rather make it more about the fun. You'll probably learn better this way. Don't forget about reading up first... i think this factor quite important.

Thks all bro for your advice. I got a 7D and EF-S 17-55mm IS USM which i am very satisified with. However, since my skills are not good i need more exposure and tons of practice. I am a little skeptical to pay 30-40 bucks to shoot a beautiful model... of course the picture... ppls will focus on the model's beauty rather than my skills...

I cant shoot TFCD, cos the model will be dissappointed with my poor skills... which is why I am trying to find extra sources of potential targets for protrait shooting without paying for a fee.

best thing to do is to take some shots of your friend when going out =) get them to let you take a few shots :)

Gosh! Wat so difficult abt getting models?! That u hav to resort to paying for practice?? So many ways u publish ur friends n ppl wil be happy enuf to let u shoot. I hav so many models Frm my clients n Frm friend spread news tat I hav long list of ppl waiting me to shoot them..

Gosh! Wat so difficult abt getting models?! That u hav to resort to paying for practice?? So many ways u publish ur friends n ppl wil be happy enuf to let u shoot. I hav so many models Frm my clients n Frm friend spread news tat I hav long list of ppl waiting me to shoot them..

:thumbsup::thumbsup: can set up agency...

Erm I'm not being arrogant la. Actually many potogrsphers also many ppl willing to be shoot as models ma.practice only wat, one day if u think u can do this as free lance, normal or ugly ppl we Also hav to shoot. Hw to shoot till they look gd n hav their own character then we say power isn't it?

Erm I'm not being arrogant la. Actually many potogrsphers also many ppl willing to be shoot as models ma.practice only wat, one day if u think u can do this as free lance, normal or ugly ppl we Also hav to shoot. Hw to shoot till they look gd n hav their own character then we say power isn't it?

Haha... boicell, mayb u can u invite me over if u r shooting ur selection of models...? hahha

Strnge Clubsnap dnt allow me to post my portrait pics or ???

Join palangsi's outings. He is very knowledgeable in portrait photography especially lighting, whether natural or flash, which is one of the main components of portrait photography. Best of all, it is free!!:vhappy:
Cheers, keep shooting.
LEW

you can start with your family members, friends, colleagues, neighbors etc...
and go library books borrow some books about portrait photography.

:thumbsup: I very much agree with bro catchlights. Many photographers end up only shooting pretty young girls and joining group shoots. The best models are all around you, they are people you see day in and day out. That is a good starting point. As you learn, progress and get better, you can then start to think of building your portfolio by shooting professional models.