Practicality of Screw-On petal lens hood

ahmad0420

Mar 6, 2010
Yishun
www.shadefotoworks.com
A noob here, about to purchase a petal lens hood for my 55mm lens.

Is it practical to use a screw-on petal lens hood if it rotates together with focusing?

Doesn't that means the 3:2 characteristic of the petal hood will be rotated as well?

Or is there something on the hood that makes it lock position to ensure that the longer side stays on top and bottom and shorter side on the sides?

madmartian

May 2, 2009
Outer Space

Is it practical to use a screw-on petal lens hood if it rotates together with focusing?

Doesn't that means the 3:2 characteristic of the petal hood will be rotated as well?

Or is there something on the hood that makes it lock position to ensure that the longer side stays on top and bottom and shorter side on the sides?
Whether its screwed on or clipped on, the hood will rotate as the lens focuses, unless your lens is an IF lens.
Check out here if you want to get the lens hood ;)

daredevil123

Staff member
Oct 25, 2005
lil red dot

You might want to consider a round lens hood. If this is for your 18-55mm, you can get a collapsible rubber lens hood, so you can push the hood in when using wide end, and pull it out when zooming in. Looks like this (first item on the site): http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/lenshoods.aspx

Top Bottom