practicality of iphone4 as wireless modem

Jul 23, 2005
Singapore, West
hi,

planning to get iphone4 next year when my mio home + BB + mobile phone contract expire (they expire at the same time).

can someone tell me what sort of bandwidth I can expect to get if I use iphone4 as modem to access internet? singtel's iphone 4 contract comes with 12BG data, in terms of GB there are enough for my usage - just email, surfing, some youtube and picture upload.

TIA

Rashkae

Nov 28, 2005
Don't underestimate how quickly 12GB are gone, especially if you use youtube.

Do you currently have a smartphone like android, etc? It would be about the same speed. Good enough for surfing and email.

paesyl

Aug 3, 2007
I using 12GB with iphone 3GS.

Speed wise is still acceptable.

I surf:
1) about 2x a week on with iphone internet tethering
2) every on iphone.

So far have not use more that 12 GB.

night86mare

Deregistered
Aug 25, 2006
www.pbase.com
iphone is still slower than normal broadband la...

but if you do email, surfing, uploading of pictures and youtube... i guess if you aren't too picky it will be sufficient.. just a bit slow for me..

Jul 23, 2005
Singapore, West
Don't underestimate how quickly 12GB are gone, especially if you use youtube.

Do you currently have a smartphone like android, etc? It would be about the same speed. Good enough for surfing and email.
I use a HTC TD2 right now but I have not used the 3G data as it is not part of my plan.
Actually I don't watch youtube so much. More I spent time uploading photos and videos for my daughter's blog :)

BTW if both me and my wife will switch to iphone together so it is 2x 12GB :)

Jul 23, 2005
Singapore, West
iphone is still slower than normal broadband la...

but if you do email, surfing, uploading of pictures and youtube... i guess if you aren't too picky it will be sufficient.. just a bit slow for me..
indeed expect iphone/ any smartphone will be lower than fixed line BB.

I just dont feel like spending on fixed line BB then two mobile phone subscriptions.
the meow tv thingy costs me about $60/mth and each phone at least $25/mth (as cost of plan without excess usage). That's > $100/mth already. 2x iphone4 plans is about the same (depends if I want to pay more for the hardware upfront or not) and I have the flexibility to surf anywhere (without paying another subscription for the stick).

night86mare

Deregistered
Aug 25, 2006
www.pbase.com
indeed expect iphone/ any smartphone will be lower than fixed line BB.

I just dont feel like spending on fixed line BB then two mobile phone subscriptions.
the meow tv thingy costs me about $60/mth and each phone at least $25/mth (as cost of plan without excess usage). That's > $100/mth already. 2x iphone4 plans is about the same (depends if I want to pay more for the hardware upfront or not) and I have the flexibility to surf anywhere (without paying another subscription for the stick).
understand, it is hard to finish the 12gb also, actually.

i always use about... 1-2gb?

well, i definitely can't use iphone as modem, because i indulge in online gaming now and then... i did use the iphone as wireless before, when having internet problems... and i wanted to die. :bsmilie:

Jul 23, 2005
Singapore, West
i did use the iphone as wireless before, when having internet problems... and i wanted to die. :bsmilie:
we are all sucked into this internet thing nowadays.
feels very different without 'net or email access (not want to die but at least I'd say uncomfortable) . :)

lenrek

Nov 20, 2008
Singapore
lenrek.wordpress.com
hi,

planning to get iphone4 next year when my mio home + BB + mobile phone contract expire (they expire at the same time).

can someone tell me what sort of bandwidth I can expect to get if I use iphone4 as modem to access internet? singtel's iphone 4 contract comes with 12BG data, in terms of GB there are enough for my usage - just email, surfing, some youtube and picture upload.

TIA
12GB is enough? Err... For me just casual surfing only. I think, if I started to do surfing, watch video, download ISO, easily exceed 12GB in 1 week. Haha...

However, I don't really think is a good idea to replace your home network using a phone. I have a unlimited StarHub mobile broadband SIM and my mobile is SingTel with 12GB data plan, and I already KPKB about their speed. To be honest, before I own an Android, I did not aware the data coverage is not that good...

Checkout the news regarding local speed problem. It was posted in CS also.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=806844

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2005
Singapore, West
12GB is enough? Err... For me just casual surfing only. I think, if I started to do surfing, watch video, download ISO, easily exceed 12GB in 1 week. Haha...

However, I don't really think is a good idea to replace your home network using a phone. I have a unlimited StarHub mobile broadband SIM and my mobile is SingTel with 12GB data plan, and I already KPKB about their speed. To be honest, before I own an Android, I did not aware the data coverage is not that good...

Checkout the news regarding local speed problem. It was posted in CS also.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=806844
thanks for the link.
12GB enough or not, honestly I don't knokw since I never measured - is there a way with the fixed line BB, I'll do a search for such software later. but given I have net access at work for free, so only evening + weekend should not consume so much (my daughter drags me to play with her in the evening so I actually have limited time surfing on weekday evenings. weekend is household chores/shopping etc again limited time surfing). My main motivation for iphone4 data plan is to connect to trading site while i office :p and that's mostly text based stuff.

soma

Aug 13, 2005
Local
hi,

TIA
Speed wise, it is better than those your paid using a USB thing, think is 1.5mps vs 7.5mps (something like that) 12GB usually is enough but really depend on your usage.

zero o

Aug 8, 2007
www.flickr.com
just don't cross 12 gb else penalty will b hefty. As for speed jus did a speedtest at changi t2 3G , download average is about 1000 kb n upload is 100 Kb

lenrek

Nov 20, 2008
Singapore
lenrek.wordpress.com
when you use tethering, you will lose the internet connection if you receive a call
Oh? This is for iPhone? I don't remember having such problem when I was tethering using my Galaxy S. Long time ago, when I was using Nokia E71, I definitely able to tether and make/receive phone calls at the same time.

EDIT: I just tried my Galaxy S, no problem with internet connection when make/receive calls. Maybe phone needs update?

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2008
understand, it is hard to finish the 12gb also, actually.

i always use about... 1-2gb?

well, i definitely can't use iphone as modem, because i indulge in online gaming now and then... i did use the iphone as wireless before, when having internet problems... and i wanted to die. :bsmilie:
wa what games? we could had met before:bsmilie:

Jul 23, 2005
Singapore, West
when you use tethering, you will lose the internet connection if you receive a call
Oh? This is for iPhone? I don't remember having such problem when I was tethering using my Galaxy S. Long time ago, when I was using Nokia E71, I definitely able to tether and make/receive phone calls at the same time.

EDIT: I just tried my Galaxy S, no problem with internet connection when make/receive calls. Maybe phone needs update?
thanks guys. this is important (net + call simultaneously). I'll ask my friend to try on his ip4.

snowspeeder

Feb 16, 2004
www.themenatwork.com
I use my iphone everyday for games and occasional email checking or facebook as most of the time i wait till i'm in front of the computer. In terms of usage I have difficulty even reaching 1GB of data usage. So 12 GB or not, it virtually unlimited for me.

Top Bottom