Practical Issue: Swapping lenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ST1100

Jun 18, 2003
Singapore, Bedok
Just want to query you guys regarding how you handle your lenses when covering events, esp weddings.

When you have a few lenses, how do you handle them? Do you:

1. Carry them in a small bag with you at all times, and switch lenses with two hands, leaving the camera body hanging on your neck?

2. Put your bag down somewhere, walk around and shoot, then walk back to your bag when you want to switch lenses?

3. Put a few small primes in a photographer's vest, and switch lenses as in [1.] above?

4. Hang/Carry multiple bodies round your neck/waist, so there is no lens swapping on camera body - just pick up and shoot?

5. Some other diff method?

In the past i had a 28-135/IS on a film body which did almost everything, so no problem. i have since sold the 28-135. With a 10D, there isn't simply a do-it-all lens. i'm using (mainly) a 16-35 and a 24-70, and sometimes a 70-200/2.8. The latter two lenses are simply too big n heavy to carry around all the time when they are not in use. Bear in mind that each camera body (if using multiples) may need its own flash, adding to its bulk.

(i haven't even touched on the tripod yet - but let's just leave that out for the moment.)

Also, leaving equipment lying around presents possible security risk, ie theft.

i'm on the verge of switching to all primes (24, 50, 85) and using a vest. Wonder appreciate input on how you folks handle this. Thanx.

Originally posted by ST1100
...2. Put your bag down somewhere, walk around and shoot, then walk back to your bag when you want to switch lenses?

..4. Hang/Carry multiple bodies round your neck/waist, so there is no lens swapping on camera body - just pick up and shoot?

Yep, you are right, whatever you do, dont do this, it is a security risk. :)

Heard of this wedding where someone stole the photographer's bag, BEFORE the event commenced? Happened.

Since you are using a 10D, you could use that with the 16-35, and then the backup cam with a prime. In any case, you should always be carrying 2 cams with you, not just the 10D and then going back for the spare when it is too late. Also, the 2 cams ought to have their own flashes.

have at least two bodies and two lenses attached...a third prime or zoom if you wish can be stored in a lens pouch attached to your belt...works for me!:)

Originally posted by GitS
have at least two bodies and two lenses attached...a third prime or zoom if you wish can be stored in a lens pouch attached to your belt...works for me!:)

Attached, you mean both cameras hanging from your neck? If so, may i ask which cameras and which lenses? Bcoz i cannot imagine doing the same thing with my zooms and still being able to take pictures. :(

i only carry the camera with a standard zoom lens n flash dats all.. films n extra batts all in pockets.. easier to move about ma

Attached, you mean both cameras hanging from your neck? If so, may i ask which cameras and which lenses? Bcoz i cannot imagine doing the same thing with my zooms and still being able to take pictures. :(

1 around your neck, 1 on your shoulder (for this one, make sure the camera strap is non-slip), 70-200 in a padded pouch attached to you your belt and attached like a water bottle on your sbo. you want the 70-200 sized pouch becos you want it to be able to hold the 16-35 or 24-70 when you switch lenses.

you are ready to rock and roll!:)

for the events and weddings i shoot, i usually use one single body and 2 zooms and one lens (for DSLR, usually 16-35, 70-200 and a 50mm prime for backup). for logistical reasons (i need to take names), i try to stick to one body alone.

i use a Lowepro deluxe waistbelt with lens cases to hold all the stuff (i try to keep it simple), and my carrying bag (which is usually quite empty) is stashed somewhere quiet (and locked, if possible - just ask around).

it's either that or just use a smaller shoulder bag... :D

Originally posted by GitS
yup, this is wat most professional do. where got time to change lens. the 'moment' might be gone when u are changing your lens.

2 camera bodies witth flash and lens hanging plus a 70-200mm lens on the waist is too heavy IMO..cover ½ halfway sure shack like hell liao..
i usually shoot events with a 35mm on my camera and 24mm in a waist pouch with some films and batteries in it as well,the 80-200mm zoom sits in the bag waiting for it's turn.it is alot easier on ur shoulders and back this way.

Cheers !

I am not too familiar with events coverage other than weddings.

But if i were to hire the main wedding photographer, especially for church ceremony, and the guy thinks he can cover the whole event with 1 body and 2 primes, then that is a bit of a problem for me.

See, there really is no time to switch lens for these type of events. And nothing looks more terrible than to wait for the photographer to change lens or load film before they can exchange rings.

If the person is not the main photographer, 1 body and 2 primes
might still be workable.

If the issue is with weight, then perhaps the photographer ought to consider another line of work.

Live and let live.

Originally posted by fruitybix

But if i were to hire the main wedding photographer, especially for church ceremony, and the guy thinks he can cover the whole event with 1 body and 2 primes, then that is a bit of a problem for me.

See, there really is no time to switch lens for these type of events. And nothing looks more terrible than to wait for the photographer to change lens or load film before they can exchange rings.

It is up to the photog to anticipate which lens to use. If he's changing lens or film when they exchange rings, he won't be in this line for long.

i think 1 body+2 primes is perfectly workable. In a wedding scenario, the photog has freedom to move in and out, so primes are not really as limiting. Also, primes have a 'hidden' freedom: they can go to f1.x, getting some available light shots that are not possible w f2.8 zooms.

Also, any main photog who chooses (assuming he has more resources) to go in with only 1 body n 2 primes would probably be quite confident n experienced, don't you think? Most of us would use zooms for weddings, "just in case".

might still be workable.

If the issue is with weight, then perhaps the photographer ought to consider another line of work.

Weight is an issue. The pics depend on the photog's skill, meaning he needs to think. And to think, he needs to be fresh. The fresher he is, the better he thinks, the better his pics would be. Compared to if he was very tired bcoz of the 2 bodies, 2 flashes and 70-200 he was lugging around the whole day, squatting down, standing up, climbing on chairs, etc. [More xiong for wide angle people, i think.]

i may carry 20kg of equipment to cover a wedding, but i'm certainly not going to carry that weight on me for the whole day.

Another issue is discretion. A photographer changing lenses, film, cleaning his lenses, etc attacts attention. The photog who attracts more attention than the bride n groom will not be getting a lot of business in the future. In this respect, i would favour primes a bit more for their size.

might still be workable.

R u suggesting i should change my job juz becoz i use 1 body and 2 primes ? Get a life..We are photographers not weightlifters.

i been covering events and weddings for 5 yrs using my set up with no problems.
Do u hire photographer base on how many camera gears he is carrying ?or the end results ?

:thumbsd:

use method 1 with 1 body will be sufficient

its strange why u cannot carry 01x 24-70/2.8 and 01x 70-200/2.8 all at once for all the time throughout the event

Originally posted by clive

its strange why u cannot carry 01x 24-70/2.8 and 01x 70-200/2.8 all at once for all the time throughout the event

Bcoz not everyone is a triathlete? :D

Hey fruitybix,
If the main photographer can produce what you want with one body and lens (of course you would have screen through his portfolio and he is THE man whose style you like)
why not?

The best part is there is no ONE way to do it.

I agree with ST1100 that when one change film during exchange of rings... he still had long way to go in wedding shoots...

Buy a 1Ds.
Buy a 24/1.4.
Crop to hell.

Don't forget a nice flashy G4 Powerbook too.

Just want to query you guys regarding how you handle your lenses when covering events, esp weddings.

When you have a few lenses, how do you handle them? Do you:

1. Carry them in a small bag with you at all times, and switch lenses with two hands, leaving the camera body hanging on your neck?

2. Put your bag down somewhere, walk around and shoot, then walk back to your bag when you want to switch lenses?

3. Put a few small primes in a photographer's vest, and switch lenses as in [1.] above?

4. Hang/Carry multiple bodies round your neck/waist, so there is no lens swapping on camera body - just pick up and shoot?

In the past i had a 28-135/IS on a film body which did almost everything, so no problem. i have since sold the 28-135. With a 10D, there isn't simply a do-it-all lens. i'm using (mainly) a 16-35 and a 24-70, and sometimes a 70-200/2.8. The latter two lenses are simply too big n heavy to carry around all the time when they are not in use. Bear in mind that each camera body (if using multiples) may need its own flash, adding to its bulk.

(i haven't even touched on the tripod yet - but let's just leave that out for the moment.)

Also, leaving equipment lying around presents possible security risk, ie theft.

i'm on the verge of switching to all primes (24, 50, 85) and using a vest. Wonder appreciate input on how you folks handle this. Thanx.

One bag to rule them all.

My advise is to use zoom lenses for event photography, as your distance to subject may vary.

Not nice to lose a shot due to changing of lens. Time is of the essence when you do events. You get one chance and one chance only. No chance of asking the bride and groom to march down the aisle one more time.

Carry your camera bag with you at all times unless you're willing to lose them to petty theft.

All the best ya.:D

Maybe another school of thought is to use just 1 lens (if you only have 1 body).

for me, I would challenge myself to just 1 lens for the wedding (although it's very unconventional) but heck. It's quite a troublesome thing to lug 2 cam bodies around and having to carry your cam bag as well.. oso, in the midst of changing to your other cam body, missing a shot (relative to changing lens in the midst of everything, only this is faster)

Yeah maybe 1 lens for the whole event may be the same kind of focal output but I guess it's the fun of pushing your creativity to the limit and coming out with shots that make your audience wonder if this is taken with the same lens of different lens.

I tried it with my friend's wedding recently, the results? Heehee... not too badz ;p but that's another story to tell...

ST1100 - for conventional methods, its 2 cam bodies setup: 1 with zoom lens and 1 with wide angle.

Just my 2 ruppiahs' worth :D

i concur with sniperD.

at the end of the day it still comes back to the photographer's skill and creativity to make the best of whatever equipment is available.

and have a look at one of sniperD's thread here. he did all that with a single lens.

Originally posted by Jed
Buy a 1Ds.
Buy a 24/1.4.
Crop to hell.

Don't forget a nice flashy G4 Powerbook too.

You know, not a bad idea really, with some modifications.

A rented 1Ds, a 24-70L, a 550EX. With a bit of cropping can get up to 135 perspective easily. Hmmm... anyone want to rent out his 1Ds? :rbounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.