PR skills in weddings

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweat100

Jul 7, 2002
Singapore
sweat100.multiply.com
Apart from having the "eye" for photography and technical knowledge, I think PR skills between the photographer and the couple is very important. Sadly, I realised that my PR skills are not that great. :embrass: Can fellow photographers pass some tips on developing PR with the couple. I think this is very useful for couples who are camera shy and engaging couple in posed shots. How do you do that usually? Hope the pros can share this valuable info with your personal experiences to "new birds". :)

Not everyone can PR well with just anybody, and i think everyone have different ways to PR... Some just like you, some just hate u, u have to find your own style.

anyway, for couples who are shy, its even harder to get them to pose, and it will definitely look awkward and fake. the more u say to them, the more 'fake' it will look.

Normally, a simple chat and meet up before the weddings help. I think you not only need to PR with the couple, but also the guest and parents. I remember when I was able to make every one laugh and smile, the pics looks great!

I feel that before developing PR skills in Weddings, you need to develop confidence first. Knowing what you want to do next is important, as well as preparing yourself for the shoot.

Once you have confidence in yourself, your "PR skills" will come in naturally.

I would suggest you show confident about your works, confident about yourself when you talk people, be friendly, approachable, and polite.

Many many little friendly gestures let people leave strong and positive impression about you.

Always let customers feel that you think about them first, (of course within your ability)

to start off.. I think it's always nice to give good compliments.. tell them theylook good, their new house. where they get that piece of furniture and that you would like to have that painting that they have, in your house too..

but have to be honest ones.. lah

its all about personality, and goes beyond photography. (some of the) ingredients needed: sincerity, communication, charisma.

being open and a little talkative helps, you shy; they shy, everyone shut up like see-hum, and that gets nowhere. but the key is really listening to the person you're speaking to, as it shows the person that you care not just about getting your point across. that's effective communication.

sincerity is something you have or don't. you can't fake it. just don't ever pretend to be interested in their home furnishing just for the sake of conversation while you're still fantasizing about the bridesmaid. i've had bosses who've asked me about work issues face to face but from their body language you know they were still thinking about Sat's golf game. you can't look like an idiot faster than this.

charisma is even harder, you can be such a livewire that even the bride's mother wished YOU married her daughter instead, or dull as certain political party uniforms and if you try to fake this, its going to be downright contrived and cheesy.

good luck, this is something no one can teach you, but you can develop it starting with sincerity. :)

to start off.. I think it's always nice to give good compliments.. tell them theylook good, their new house. where they get that piece of furniture and that you would like to have that painting that they have, in your house too..

but have to be honest ones.. lah

Agreed. Need to PR with the "brothers" and "sisters" and family members too. They do make the weddings fun too. Fun= more sweet moments to capture.

There are some photographers who like to be in command but can make the wedding fun too. There are some who are very quiet but able to capture the event. So it depend on your style.

Tell Jokes......... be honest.......... liven up the atmosphere...... be sure of what you doing and be attentive when people ask question........ Look at the person when people talking to you..... understand the traditional aspect of different dialect group........ be respectful to elderly.... make compliment ...... But don't be a tripod leg ........

Start with a SMILE... Smile all the way... A sincere smile not a fake one. Heheee... Your smile will make you approachable and friendly.

Thanks for all the valuable inputs! :) I need find confidence in myself so as to better my PR skills. And politeness is the key from most of the posts i see.

make jokes, good comments abt what some of the guests are wearing when taking the shot....jokes abt yourself...etc...

i'd like to add that basic courtesy is very important as well.

here's an example from a wedding dinner i've just attended.

we had just finished the toasting and some relatives left the table to visit the toilet. the photographer came to our table to get us to pose for the table shot while the bride and groom were at another table getting ready.

since not everyone was here, we told him politely that we would like to wait for the others to be here to get the photo taken together.

the photographer impatiently scrounged up his face, and replied in chinese, "cannot wait, no more time already. if everyone also want to wait, how can i finish?"

this got the older folks at my table rather pissed, so they said he can go on to other tables first, and come back if there's time.

the photographer just walked away...

my cousin is having his dinner this december, so some of the old folks at my table went and got the photographer's namecard so they know who NOT to employ.

i'd like to add that basic courtesy is very important as well.

here's an example from a wedding dinner i've just attended.

we had just finished the toasting and some relatives left the table to visit the toilet. the photographer came to our table to get us to pose for the table shot while the bride and groom were at another table getting ready.

since not everyone was here, we told him politely that we would like to wait for the others to be here to get the photo taken together.

the photographer impatiently scrounged up his face, and replied in chinese, "cannot wait, no more time already. if everyone also want to wait, how can i finish?"

this got the older folks at my table rather pissed, so they said he can go on to other tables first, and come back if there's time.

the photographer just walked away...

my cousin is having his dinner this december, so some of the old folks at my table went and got the photographer's namecard so they know who NOT to employ.
i'd say it's not wat u say but how u say it.

honestly speaking the photographer is not entirely wrong. maybe if it was a small wedding like 20 tables then i won't bother rushing, but if i have to shoot 50 and up tables, wat he said it TOTALLY correct, but as mentioned, HOW he said it is definitely not right (according to your description).

To make a wedding happy, both photographer and guests have to do their part.

It's kind of frasturation to see people coming to dinner at 830pm while the invitation cards show 7pm. Some guests also refuse to look at the camera or refuse to stand up while asked politely.

Not easy to make everyone happy.

James

i'd say it's not wat u say but how u say it.

honestly speaking the photographer is not entirely wrong. maybe if it was a small wedding like 20 tables then i won't bother rushing, but if i have to shoot 50 and up tables, wat he said it TOTALLY correct, but as mentioned, HOW he said it is definitely not right (according to your description).
yup, you're right. it was pretty small, about 20-25 tables. *shrug* we understand that he can't wait for everyone. it's just the way he said it that really put us off...

yup, you're right. it was pretty small, about 20-25 tables. *shrug* we understand that he can't wait for everyone. it's just the way he said it that really put us off...

honestly alot of photographers are declining to shoot table shots nowadays, esp the "higher ranked" ones.. i mean, in such situations, it's lose-lose situation, and it's hardly "journalistic" which is quite sought after these days.

i won't even start talking about drunk abusive uncles who refuse to sit/stand properly to have their table photo taken.... wat about wailing babies? wat about dinners which is buffet style and no table seems to be available all at once? ahha ok i'm getting carried away.... :bsmilie:

for the record, i still do take table shots, but would always tell my couples that if they have someone else that can do it, or wouldn't mind engaging someone else, they dun have to pay me so much to shoot something that's well.. perhaps not worth as much, or at least doesn't require as much skill and experience. :)

#1, if the dinner is held at the restaurant, they won't be bother wherther photographers done the tables shots or not, will rush the dinner end on thier time, and hence, photographers might won't able to finish all the table shots if any delay happens.
#2, if there is a lot of guests is smokers, you won't have a change to see a table is full attendance at any given time.
#3, if the couple and the parents are bring bottle of liquor for table shots, only have slim changes to finish all the table shots on time.

however, many photographers are very experience in judging the time for table shoots, when a photographers say no time already, is really mean no time already, why would a photographer want to open his mouth to offend people? anyway, if can't finish the table shots, it will not be the fault of the photographer, and it is also not the problem of the photographer.

also dress like a pro so that the couple and guest will have confidence in you

don't look like you are going out with your friends
you are at work so dress the part

To make a wedding happy, both photographer and guests have to do their part.

It's kind of frasturation to see people coming to dinner at 830pm while the invitation cards show 7pm. Some guests also refuse to look at the camera or refuse to stand up while asked politely.

Not easy to make everyone happy.

James
that will be the least of the problems, if you have seen guests bring news paper to read during a wedding dinner..

Status
Not open for further replies.