Ppl who post one liner negative comments - your views?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garion

Nov 26, 2002
West side of S'pore
Visit site
Some examples:

"Flash looks too harsh"

"Looks oversharpened to me"

"Skin tone wrong"

"Your WB (white balance) wrong"

"underexposed, need to adjust"

"horizon tilted"

Would you appreciate and learn from such comments in your threads?

For myself, frankly I do not mind harsh critiques but such one liner comments are not really helpful. A good critique should give a good explanation on what went wrong, what should be done to correct the pic, and other possible ways to improve the pic etc.

Your views on this?

they're useless.

if it is then it should be called as it is

no problem with me, sometimes the eyes of others will see things that i can't

if it is then it should be called as it is

no problem with me, sometimes the eyes of others will see things that i can't
I agree with ortega that some one-liners are as good as a long essay. Comments that are too lengthy can sometimes be penalised for nit picking.

A spade is a spade is a spade ...

unless it's a trowel.

ignore if you don't like those comments. but humble yourself and pick up what others criticise..don't be like those idiots from my school who think their works are so great that i'm not supposed to give my critics

ignore if you don't like those comments. but humble yourself and pick up what others criticise..don't be like those idiots from my school who think their works are so great that i'm not supposed to give my critics

Well, this precisely happened to me too. My sch photo club has it's own forum.
I critiqued this member's photo(s) and later I found out someone said I was arrogant and showing off! Not sure if it's same guy who said I was showing off when I advised and taught other members some composition during outing recently. I kept quiet about all these and I was 'shot' at for putting watermarks on all my photos. A few of them are saying this and that about my watermark and none about my photos which I put up for critique. So much for helping others.

What I feel:

If the photographer can't take critiques, don't post it up for critique. Don't slam the critics saying their critique is useless and do not critique the critic or pass remarks about him/her.

The critique should not only say they like/dislike it, but say why and how it can be improved. BUT if the person doesn't know the technical aspects on which procedures should be done, it's ok, just describe what effect on the photo would be good, what should be done, what should not be done.

for me it's another matter. it's on my school blog. people post stuff, and well, what's the comment box for? i posted my comments, and critiqued about the topics, and in the end this idiot is calling for me to be banned cos of my critiques.

i always wonder why people put up their pics/etc for viewing when they can't accept my harsh comments? (in the end, it's always other 3rd parties that are those not accepting the critiques and flaming me, while the TS would be silent)

The examples you posted looks reasonable, does not require much explanation, bad one liners are probably

"I would throw the photo away if I were you"
"The cropping is wrong"
"The color is off"

Some examples:

"Flash looks too harsh"

"Looks oversharpened to me"

"Skin tone wrong"

"Your WB (white balance) wrong"

"underexposed, need to adjust"

"horizon tilted"

For myself, frankly I do not mind harsh critiques but such one liner comments are not really helpful. A good critique should give a good explanation on what went wrong, what should be done to correct the pic, and other possible ways to improve the pic etc.

Your views on this?

I think the examples you have quoted are adequate comments. They point out problems that do not need much explanation, and such basic topics are already discussed in many photography books and websites. Receipients of such comments should be able to look up more information and not expect to be spoon-fed.

For example, on the comment "horizon tilted", how much more detail do you think is needed? I feel that it is clear enough that the person who posted that comment is saying that the horizon should be horizontal.

Another thing to consider is that there are many photos posted that has tilted horizons. If someone giving comments has to give a full explanation on why it is important to keep the horizon horizontal and also explain all the steps necessary to make that happen every time he sees such a picture he will eventually be so sick and tired of it and will not post any comments anymore.

Having said that I think that one liners that rate the photos without any justification are less helpful. Positive one liners such as "good work" that are given sincerely would at least serve as a compliment and encouragement. It also does not irritate other people reading the thread as much as negative one liners.

Negative one liners such as "Your picture belongs to the trash" are more debatable. How effective or detrimental such comments are depends a lot on the mentality of the receipient of such comments. In general such comments will invite a lot of attacks from bystanders, from what I have seen on CS.

:)

What's wrong with these comments? So you think your photo deserves more comments?

What's wrong with these comments? So you think your photo deserves more comments?

u are early ! :thumbsup:

if u post photos, u accept comments from others. good or bad you take it all.

dun wan comments. keep the photos to yourself, and observe other's work and improve yourself in the dark.

cannot accept comments ? dun post.

people giving comments ? yes. sometimes they are harsh. sometimes they are brainless.
if they point out technicalities, you go figure it out youself. why do you need others to spoon feed you ?

while others can talk until get agitated, some can be very approachable while others are looking from a way high up there, so when they look down, you are nothing.

;)

Have you checked the Andrea thread? A few fools are telling others how to critique and what can be posted and what not.

Some examples:

Your views on this?

Anything which is constructive goes! Comment and critised but must come with solutions/recommendations

A one liner negative comment is as useless/useful as a one liner positive one.

So what he's saying is that he wants people to give him essays on his photos so he'll feel more respected and important and not like some newbies who just started to post for critique.

Have you checked the Andrea thread? A few fools are telling others how to critique and what can be posted and what not.

It is an individual's decision to accept or reject!

Noboby is a fool if you ask! If you don't ask, you are a fool for the rest of your life!

So what he's saying is that he wants people to give him essays on his photos so he'll feel more respected and important and not like some newbies who just started to post for critique.

You are right. Just say what is necessary. I must respect those who can write well.

So you think those who give one liners are fools(aka cannot write well kind)?

Status
Not open for further replies.