Powershot

SX30IS

May 5, 2011
Hi guys, new to this forum!

Started photography last year, with my Canon Powershot SX30 IS.
Love this camera, not getting a DSLR at the moment,
but if i happen to came across a good second hand 500D, willing to get it !

Anyway, for the start, want to ask you guys here,
where is possible to get a 58mm adapter ring for my camera?
only manage to find online, anyone here know where can i get it?

Cheers!

And just showing my humble supermoon shot on 19/3/2011 with my SX30IS

189200_10150137648469193_700724192_6731919_8029989_n.jpg

Last edited:
SX30IS said:

Cheers!

Nice shot... I too have the 30is.. have also gone around almost whole of sg looking for a similar adapter but to no avail.. the closest I got was the FA-DC67A 67mm from canon Singapore.. you might want to check with them regarding stock..
Managed to get the LH-DC60 lens hood from usa. Apparently Singapore don't have any stock as well..
All I can said is getting accessories for the sx30is is like looking for a needle in a haysack..
It seems like shops are just eager to sell the camera itself and not the accessories.. just my two cents worth...

Oh ya.. one more thing.. do not attempt to screw a normal 52mm filter onto the grooves at the front of the lens.. it seems like those are parallel lines and not screw lines.. also you might find a bit of vignette with fully zoomed out..

thanks!

isn't the 67mm hard to get lens? Cos most of the macro lens and HD wide angle lens i found online only comes with 58mm and not 67mm.
so was looking for a 58mm adapter. Im getting a hood through online too, and also a flash diffuser.

agree, sx30is is a good camera, but sad that most shops don't carry the accessories.

is it recommended to have a external flash for it? Cos i do outdoor and indoor shoots. and i dont really like the built-in flash.

SX30IS said:
thanks!

isn't the 67mm hard to get lens? Cos most of the macro lens and HD wide angle lens i found online only comes with 58mm and not 67mm.
so was looking for a 58mm adapter. Im getting a hood through online too, and also a flash diffuser.

agree, sx30is is a good camera, but sad that most shops don't carry the accessories.

is it recommended to have a external flash for it? Cos i do outdoor and indoor shoots. and i dont really like the built-in flash.

Hi, don't quite get your question... what do you mean by lens? The sx30is cannot change lens one.. but if you are talking about filter, then 67mm shouldn't be a problem. Seen a lot of shops carrying it.
Just to caution you about the hood.. dunno which one you are buying but if it's third party just make sure it's the same design as the LH-DC60. Otherwise you might get vignette when you are fully zoomed out.
As for flash I guess it's up to you bah.. I have the 270ex which is rather handy in taking shots at low light indoor conditions.. love the bounce feature.. am currently eyeing the 320ex or 580exII reason being more functions and also the ability to swivel horizontally but no doubt more ex too..
If you wanna.. then perhaps you can rent a unit a day or two before deciding to get an external flash or not.. cheers..

Cheers!

Hi,
hope this may help. I haf SX20IS, tat time i was also looking for adapter found a website called lensmate. i brought and send over, price abt 20plus 30plus like tat. Works out quite good. fit nicely.:)

But u cant fit ur hood aft u put on the adapter. and 1 thing impt tat is mention above, don try to fix a 52mm filter in, it cant fix.

Last edited:
Ah, this is great! Thanks for the website :)

Means after attaching the adapter + filter, the hood cannot be use?

SX30IS said:
Ah, this is great! Thanks for the website :)

Means after attaching the adapter + filter, the hood cannot be use?

Cannot.. cos the adapter uses the same groves as the hood...

ah.. i see, thanks for the info!

and 1 more question guys! Sorry if im annoying, haha

Im getting a external flash, im looking at a brand new 270EX and a used 380EX, which one is better ?

Last edited:
I saw on a website for flash review the new 320ex looks like an interesting choice of flash. I'm not a canon user though, so I'm too sure.

SX30IS said:
ah.. i see, thanks for the info!

and 1 more question guys! Sorry if im annoying, haha

Im getting a external flash, im looking at a brand new 270EX and a used 380EX, which one is better ?

The 380 is quite an old flash isn't it? Not sure if it's compatible with the newer cameras..

yeap its a old flash, im looking for a small and cheap flash for now, or should i wait for 270EX II ? cos for my powershot, i don't really need a powerful flash, just a beginner range one will do! Need 1 as i do both indoor & outdoor night shoots quite often.

SX30IS said:
yeap its a old flash, im looking for a small and cheap flash for now, or should i wait for 270EX II ? cos for my powershot, i don't really need a powerful flash, just a beginner range one will do! Need 1 as i do both indoor & outdoor night shoots quite often.

I'm using the 270ex.. it should be enough for sx30is..

is the 270ex have adjustable angle for the flash head? if have than im more interested in getting one for myself ..

SX30IS said:
is the 270ex have adjustable angle for the flash head? if have than im more interested in getting one for myself ..

Only vertical swivel... up and down only...

hmmm, okok, will get 1 soon! thanks for the patience with me people!

SX30IS said:
hmmm, okok, will get 1 soon! thanks for the patience with me people!

No worries bro.. just sharing what we know :)