Powershot S2IS or a DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

csisfun

Dec 19, 2005
Hi,

I'm interested in buying a new camera, which would either be an entry-level DSLR (D50 or something) or a Powershot S2IS. There are a few problems that I face now, one is money and the other is the capabilities of both create a really big dilemma.

Right now, I have done adequate research to know the ups and downs of a DSLR and a S2IS. I find that the appeal of the S2IS comes when you think about its lens - 12x zoom with image stabilizer, something that a DSLR does not have in its "stock" package. Then comes the "other side" of the story - a DSLR can last for years and years, and the "good" feeling that comes with having one of those.

Please advise me!!! :dunno:

Cheers

If you're not willing to spend so much then I guess the answer is obvious. Yes the body can last for years but you still need to spend at least a few thousand dollars on other things.

one side of the equation is the camera. the other side is your shooting needs. what are they? that may help you decide.

I actually do take very long range outdoor shots or indoor shots.

csisfun said:
I actually do take very long range outdoor shots or indoor shots.
csisfun, i think you have answer your own question, as for camera able to last a long long time, i think this question is not valid for most of us here, i have a D70 for about a year, there are so many newer DSLR, i am already asking myself whether i should change, so why ponder on whether camera can last a long time or not, ask yourself what is your need and wants instead.

Hi csisfun,

Welcome to Clubsnap.

I am no expert here .... so here goes.

First, I like to say that I love my Canon S2 IS. Other than the "still" features mentioned above, I also like it for the state of the art video features available in the digicam like zoom, and stereo sound.
All this is a pretty compact body that is great for my needs of normal walk-around, especially travel.

I have since also got my KM5D, an entry level but great DSLR. The difference in price today between the two is only about $350. But the difference is a lot in the quality. You get all the versatility and better image and noise quality in a DSLR. On the other hand, you do not get the video features and definitely not the LCD preview to compose your shots on a DSLR compared to the S2 IS.

Cheers!

If price is an issue get the S2. Its versatile and you get more functionality in a smaller package.

Though dSLRs offer better performance, functionality is limited straight out of the box unless you're willing to buy additonal lenses/accessories.

buy both ba ;)

hiz all, new here as well. Hope to learn on photography from all the experienced forumers here. Like my sig says.... DSLR .... ;)

Get a dslr! and get it 2ndhand so you won't feel the pinch. (the prices on 300d/350ds are criminal at the moment) and get the lenses 2nd hand too!

depreciation on lenses are suprisingly lower than you think!

sigma/tokina lens are a steal on the 2nd hand market. and they last and last and last.
you'll be likely to learn more do more and shoot more with a dslr than you'll get with a point and shoot.

sure, the p/s will be light and easy to carry, leading to the fallacy that it will be used more often. But heres the catch: how many of those "use more often" shots are of any photog/artistic value? Use the camera for art. Not just to record memories - otherwise, i assume you wouldn't actually be even thinking about photog seriously?

hope this clears up some doubts.

regards,
ouyang

ouyang said:
Get a dslr! and get it 2ndhand so you won't feel the pinch. (the prices on 300d/350ds are criminal at the moment) and get the lenses 2nd hand too!

depreciation on lenses are suprisingly lower than you think!

sigma/tokina lens are a steal on the 2nd hand market. and they last and last and last.
you'll be likely to learn more do more and shoot more with a dslr than you'll get with a point and shoot.

sure, the p/s will be light and easy to carry, leading to the fallacy that it will be used more often. But heres the catch: how many of those "use more often" shots are of any photog/artistic value? Use the camera for art. Not just to record memories - otherwise, i assume you wouldn't actually be even thinking about photog seriously?

hope this clears up some doubts.

regards,
ouyang

Some good food for thought here. The marketplace here in CS has nice stuff for sale, but I do not know if I can trust myself to handle second hand stuff (i.e., out of warranty), since I have no experience on how to take care of a DSLR.

I might actually go for a D50 or a used 300D. One of my good friends just sucked me in, plus it is around $400 more. Worth every cent.

Now tell me : without a IS lens, am I always bound to a tripod when taking darker indoor shots? This is something that troubles me; I don't want to lug a tripod around when I go out.

I'm hooked on this hobby! :lovegrin:

csisfun said:
Some good food for thought here. The marketplace here in CS has nice stuff for sale, but I do not know if I can trust myself to handle second hand stuff (i.e., out of warranty), since I have no experience on how to take care of a DSLR.

I might actually go for a D50 or a used 300D. One of my good friends just sucked me in, plus it is around $400 more. Worth every cent.

Now tell me : without a IS lens, am I always bound to a tripod when taking darker indoor shots? This is something that troubles me; I don't want to lug a tripod around when I go out.

So you should also consider the KM-5D then .... it has Anti-shake integrated into the body among the better features.

Check this post for pixs ...

Good luck!

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost.php?p=1699081&postcount=11

Ok, if you are interested in taking indoor shots, then go for the dslr, simply because it supports add on flash light while S2 only has its own flash and doesnt support any add-ons. If you realli wana take good pics, good flash is a muz!

csisfun said:

juz a caution :nono: getting a 2nd hand DSLR would not be juz a matter of $400 more.
dun forget you still need a long range lens (avg $500 for cheap ones) and a flash for indoor shoots (avg $300 for cheap ones). all these add up to at least $1200 more. and this is only the minimum estimation.

btw, DSLR body no longer can last as long as SLR body. there are more electronic components in DSLR, so dun bank your hopes on buying a DSLR juz bcos it can "last" longer. plus, electronic equipments is such tat there are always new features coming out. will you be able to withstand the urge to get those "better features" ones? :rolleyes:

Geordie said:
Ok, if you are interested in taking indoor shots, then go for the dslr, simply because it supports add on flash light while S2 only has its own flash and doesnt support any add-ons. If you realli wana take good pics, good flash is a muz!

So for all the times I didn't use the flash my photos aren't good? :dunno:

csisfun said:

IS is not god, it won't save you from lousy technique. For indoor shots (functions etc.) you'll be using a flash. Even if you did have IS, if your subjects move it wouldn't be of much use. You're hooked on this hobby and you feel lugging a tripod around is a chore?

for indoor shots, you can try with flash or without.

with flash: a DSLR allows u to use an external flash, and bouncing the flash gives a softer light. the S2IS only has direct flash. unless u also cannot tahan carrying a flash around...

without flash: the KM5D DSLR has IS. the rest don't. but DSLRs can go up to around ISO1600, enabling higher shutter speeds. you can also try a table tripod if a real one is out of the question. but the previous comment is right: if the scene moves, IS can't freeze them anyway.

d7t3, trust me, I'm at this stage when I'm gonna buy a DSLR, i won't complain carrying a flash around. It's just that n0d here is giving people the wrong idea.

OK thanks everyone, I've decided. Thanks for the guidance!!

csisfun said:
d7t3, trust me, I'm at this stage when I'm gonna buy a DSLR, i won't complain carrying a flash around. It's just that n0d here is giving people the wrong idea.

OK thanks everyone, I've decided. Thanks for the guidance!!

What wrong idea may that be? Sorry if I sounded harsh but what I say is really true.

Status
Not open for further replies.