PowerShot S1 IS

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedwerkz

Jun 13, 2004
Just got my PowerShot S1 IS yesterday, my 1st plunge into digital cams, finally retired my EOS 500 after 11 years (Not that I've been actively taking photos recently anyway, but browsing thru ClubSNAP revived my interest in photography again :) ). Anyway, its a nice cam all in all except for 2 complains, low light focusing is really a killer at times, and it takes a while to write to the CF card, so end up sometimes, what I see on the LCD is not what is captured instead. Any ideas how to counter this problem ?

I'm new to digital cameras, and I realised something weird, why is it that when I take a photo on the camera, it looks nice, bright, with perfect contrast, but when I transfered it to the PC, it looks washed out, or underexposed, and I have to make some adjustments using Photoshop. Is this normal for most cameras, or am I doing something wrong here ? Thanks, any help much appreciated.

I am also playing with my new S1IS. Default color a little weak, but can be customised.
Go the the menu and adjust the setting to high sharpness and high
color saturation. You can only do this in "program" mode.
Hope it helps. :)

It's 24 hrs since I got this S1-IS camera and would like to share some interesting findings.

1) If it beep once during focusing...don't shoot...it out of focus.
Need to beep twice for the pictures to be in focus...most time.
2) For good indoor flash shot...don't allow Auto to do the setting.
They always set it at max aperature which decrease depth-of-field.
Go the aperature priority and set at f4 instead.
3) For better skin tone, set contrast to high...don't know why but it works.
:) :) Cheers

Thanks for sharing your findings, will try it out once I have the time. Heh, seems like we both got our camera around the same time, Just bought mine on Sat.

Maybe we can keep this thread for sharing of tips on this camera? Got mine during PC Show period, but not at the Show, bought mine at AP, since the show is selling at RRP.

I'm basically a point & shoot person, and mostly for spontaneous shots of my kids. Found my old Fuji4700 really limiting to P&S and the default ISO200 is really noisy (cannot be changed in Auto). So after 4 years, decided to go "Prosumer" level... a little intimidating and overwhelming, I'm still trying to figure out all the settings.

Outdoors, the pics are great. At home, the flash almost always pops up and it's always too bright, my subject becomes almost white. If I force to no flash, sometimes I can't even get the camera to focus.

Another thing is I've tried Sports Mode (on the dial), which should set at higher shutter speed right? But I'm still getting blurry subjects. I know I'm not shaking or moving the camera (IS is on), and you know kids, cannot get them to stay still.

I've read the manual, but still blur blur. I must be missing something.

Intended to get one . Care to share where to get the best bargain for this baby? Thanks..

Got mine at Alan Photo $770, free 256mb CF card and air purifier collect from Canon Service Center at Harbourfront

wilson said:
Outdoors, the pics are great. At home, the flash almost always pops up and it's always too bright, my subject becomes almost white. If I force to no flash, sometimes I can't even get the camera to focus.

Another thing is I've tried Sports Mode (on the dial), which should set at higher shutter speed right? But I'm still getting blurry subjects. I know I'm not shaking or moving the camera (IS is on), and you know kids, cannot get them to stay still.

For your first point, ensure that you are using low ISO if your subject is near you (like 1-2m away). Using too high a ISO will result flash overexposure. If you were in AUTO mode, then the flash metering of your camera may have problems.

For your 2nd point, Sports Mode does use high shutter speed, but the shutter speed can only be as high as the lighting condition allows. If you are trying to take your kids in an indoor environment or dimly-lit place, sports mode is gonna use a slow shutter speed anyway, simply because there isn't enough light. Therefore, Sports Mode is more applicable for the bright outdoors.

Hmm, my ISO doesn't change, seems always at ISO50 even at Auto. When you say flash metering, does that mean that the amount of flash will vary? If I have my subject about 1m or slightly less, is that the cause of the flash overexposure?

I realise that my ISO setting is always at 50, do I have to manually adjust no matter what mode that I'm in?

Hey, thanks Tweek!

In fully auto mode, I think you can't change the ISO. The cam will decide on a suitable ISO but cap at a certain maximum. When you are in the "creative" mode, like P, Av, Tv, M, you can choose the ISO yourself. If you choose ISO200 to 400, better not let your subject come too close (<1m) from you, you may get flash overexposure. Yes, flash exposure is the amount of flash emitted to get a suitable exposure. The flash intensity changes according to a few factors, like ISO, Fstop, ambient lighting condition, subject distance, etc.

So when you say you are in ISO50 and you still get overexposed flash...then there may be a defect in your cam's flash metering. First, check the pic on your pc, cos digicams' LCDs tend to show a brighter picture than it actually is.

You can select ISO to your requirement...basically, less light higher ISO, so that you can have a faster shutter speed or higher fstop. Not a hard and fast rule, entirely up to your needs and creativity.

Hi guys, have been using the S1-iS for a week now.
Found the Auto white not very accurate leh...i noticed a slight blue tinge over most outdoor and indoor shots. Luckily the problem was solved by setting the white balance to cloudy mode. Now all picture's color looks great. Any comments pls ? :)

hi guys

i just dump my old coolpix 2500 and got a powershot s1 is

still experimenting around

but akaline batts tend to use up very very fast

does that happen to you peeps?

will share my experience once i have mess around with this baby

Delek said:
hi guys

i just dump my old coolpix 2500 and got a powershot s1 is

still experimenting around

but akaline batts tend to use up very very fast

does that happen to you peeps?

will share my experience once i have mess around with this baby

you should use rechargable batteries instead, could last you longer too, try 2300 mAh Sanyo

kegler said:
sanyo 2300 batteries.... 2 sets last me thru a 5day trip with about 800shots

yup, i change the batteries after 350 shots on my own record. the batteries are power!

but normally how many batts u guys bring out ?

2 sets?

i bring wif me another set of 4.. will suffice most of e time. but the thing about rechargeable batteries u cant keep a full charged battery unused for long, say a period of 2 weeks cos they will definitely get discharged on its own. im using a 1700mAh but it can only last me for about 200 shots max. i suppose it has to do wif the power rating.. more mAh more lasting but dunno how it will affect the camera.. was told by the canon guy (during the free photo course) he recommends 1700 rating. :)

anyone interested in powershot s1IS adaptor + tele converter? pls view buy/sell.....

Slik said:
i bring wif me another set of 4.. will suffice most of e time. but the thing about rechargeable batteries u cant keep a full charged battery unused for long, say a period of 2 weeks cos they will definitely get discharged on its own. im using a 1700mAh but it can only last me for about 200 shots max. i suppose it has to do wif the power rating.. more mAh more lasting but dunno how it will affect the camera.. was told by the canon guy (during the free photo course) he recommends 1700 rating. :)

mAh is the amount of enery stored in the battery... more means use longer...less means use less.... i can't think of any theoritical explaination why it will affect the camera in any way....hmm....wonder why the canon guy made such comments

Can get a pack of 4 x Sanyo 2100 batt at Eastgear at $12 only.
They give a free batt holder also. good value for money. :thumbsup:

Without a AF illuminator lamp for S1, focusing in low light really hurts! :cry:
Previously using a G2, focusing at low light no much problem.
Now, realized why pple complain about low light focusing!

Status
Not open for further replies.