Powershot G2 Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echo22

Jun 16, 2004
SG [sembawang]
when ever i shoot in M mode, the exposure meter does not take into account whether the flash is on anot.

for instance, i on the flash and adjust the shutter speed & aperture till the exposure reading is at +/- 0. but when the pic comes out, the picture is over exposed. i muz try and make sure the exposure reading is at negative value when i on the flash.

it is due to no TTL metering in the camera? it is the same for other Powershot models like G3 and so on too? any solutions to it other than setting it to underexpose when i switch on the flash?

i cannot find any option in the settings in M mode to set the power of the flash. is there such an option in M mode? i know there is in P mode.

Are you using the internal flash or an external E-TTL flash? Try using FEC to reduce the flash power on the internal or E-TTL flash.

i am not using external flash.. using internal flash.. i found out tat it is the same for G3 and G2.. as in they dun calculate the flash into the exposure..
so pic taken will 100% be overexposed in M mode if you on the internal flash.

FEC? a softener izzit?

FEC = Flash Exposure Compensation

You can set it to underexpose the flash and reduce its power. You can defintely do it on the G2.

When you use M and set the normal exposure to +/-0, you already have full exposure from ambient light. Add the flash and you overexpose.

You should set the exposure to -1 and FEC to -1 and you should come up about right. The ambient will be 1 stop down or 50% and the flash also 1 stop down or 50%. See if it works. I use external flashes so never tried this. Will do it when I have time and let you know. (seldom use my G2 s it is only a backup for the 300D)

I agree with Russ. Shooting in any of the camera's creative modes require some understanding of exposures.

haha... ya i do that too by putting it under-exposed first.. heeheez.. juz dun know the correct term.. thankz.. grateful to you all..

i never use the G2 flash coz it gives me rubbishy exposures :bsmilie: so i always use it in long exposure mode.

OK have tried it on my G2.
Forget the internal flash in MANUAL mode.
FEC does not work.

its manual mode mah, you take care everything realted to exposure, that include shutter speed, aperture size and of course flash output. E-TTL flash wil not be effective in manual mode.

E-TTL works in MANUAL mode for Canon SLRs and DSLRs.

G2 / Internal flash - E-TTL does NOT work
G2 / EX flash - ?? have not tried

I only used my G2 with a Metz 32Z-1 on the Metz auto mode. The exposure errors are less than with my 300D/Sigma 500 DG Super (EX compatible)!!!

haha.. maybe external flash the E-TTL will work for G2.. going to test some time.. now having exams.. haha.. student life bo bian.. mid year haiz..

Status
Not open for further replies.