Power Supply in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantasia

Nov 9, 2003
The North
Visit site
Hey all!!

Anyone who've been to australia can advice regarding the power supply there? Will there actually be power sockets in the hostels/inns there? Cos i'm looking for sources to charge my digicam batteries. :)

I understand that the voltage is the same...but the plug isnt. So does that mean i would need to get some sort of adapter to use the power supply? Any places to recommend for getting such an adapter...and any idea how much does it cost?

Hehe...thanks alot!! :)

Any electical shops sells those adapters. Best Denki and SLS. Even in Changi Airport sells those travel adapters. Depend on your budget, it ranges from $10.00 to $30.00.

If you need to charge other appliances, please get those multi ones.....but more ex.

phantasia said:
Hey all!!

Anyone who've been to australia can advice regarding the power supply there? Will there actually be power sockets in the hostels/inns there?

No. It is a VERY backward country :bsmilie:

Actually, in major cities there, most of the international hotels should be able to provide you with adapters.

But if you are going to country-side motels, then better bring along an adapter.

Word of warning ... many of the sockets in older buildings are at ground level, meaning that your all-in-one adapter may not fit (not enough room). You may need to ask for another adapter, eg. a 4-gang, so that you don't have that restriction.

Alternatively, just get one of those small UK-to-Australian adapters, perhaps $1 or so, and use that exclusively for your Oz trips.

ericp said:
Word of warning ... many of the sockets in older buildings are at ground level, meaning that your all-in-one adapter may not fit (not enough room). You may need to ask for another adapter, eg. a 4-gang, so that you don't have that restriction.

I actually find this happens other contries as well. I found several times in England that I couldn't plug in my charger, particularly in hostels, where the power points had been provided for the cleaning staff, not for the use of guests.

As a result I now have a short extension cord (10 cm) that is part of our 'travel kit' that solves this.
Often we just take a small 4 way power board with us - as now I want to charge the mobile phone, charge the camera batteries and run an Apacer Disc Steno to copy the days shooting to CD.
If you are in a room where the only power point is intended for the cleaners, this solves several problems.

The 'AA' charger I use on my camera batteries came with 4 interchangeable plugs, covering Australia, British, European (including being compatable with the Swiss sockets which my 'generic' Euro travel adaptor isn't) and US.

Clark75 said:
For telephone sockets (for your laptop etc)...
http://www.accesscomms.com.au/Catalog_3/3-ausplug.htm

American 'RJ' connectors are becoming common now, and the Aussie 610 has even been replaced by the main telephone company (who orginally invented the 610) with RJ45's as used by computer networking.

Status
Not open for further replies.