Power related questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

fongwee

Jul 18, 2003
Visit site
I am going to places where the power supply seems inconsistent with lots of surges. I think my last laptop just burned itself away from that.

So I am thinking of purchasing a surge protector to protect my equipment from all these devastating surges. Anymore has any recommendations?

Next is the thing about grounding. In Singapore, we use the 3 pin plug with the top pin for earthing. I would be going to Philipines. There they seem to use the straight 2 pins. Thus I am just thinking if I buy an adapter to convert my 3 pins stuff to a 2 pin. How does it work out with regards to earthing? Most importantly does the surge protector depends on the earthing?

Thanks

fongwee said:
I am going to places where the power supply seems inconsistent with lots of surges. I think my last laptop just burned itself away from that.

Thanks

rather misleading.. firstly your laptop adaptor would have a surge arrestor at the end of the plug (the big bulge or 'can' along the wire) Next, your power adaptor would have fried first therefore protecting your laptop from any electrical damage.

Some surge arrestor work by cutting supply to protect the equipment, in this case, your laptop would still shut down.

Without the ground pin, it just means you are NOT protected against a 'leaky' appliance. You might get shocked by a poorly designed equipment.

Instead of getting a surge protector, get a UPS instead. They come with built-in surge protection as well and it is priced afforadably nowadays. I just got my APC ES-500 UPS for $68 in SLS. A surge protector is actually like a sacrificial device. When a surge occur, it will usually be the first to die, protecting your important and more expensive devices from getting shocked. If im not wrong, without the ground pin, should there be a leak in current, and you touch it, the current MAY flow through you as there is not earth pin where it can flow to. Hence, I suggest that you connect thick wire from the metal chassis of your devices to a ground pt in your appartment in Philipine if there is any in the first place. :)

any metal pipes will suffice at ground points. Lightning conductor also can but just pray lightning doesn't strike :bsmilie:

UPS makes more sense, can share with desktop also :)

Status
Not open for further replies.