POWDER DANCE - PERFORMING ARTS by Hien Nguyen - Photon Family

photonfamily

Aug 21, 2015
Singapore
Hi Clubsnap,
I would love to share with you all our current work - Powder Dance.

" 1. in what area is critique to be sought? "
- Composition, Lighting and Color.

" 2. What I hope to achieve with the piece of work? "
- A dramatic shot of dancer dancing in the white powder.

" 3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions) "
- 2 high-speed lights at 45 degree behind the model.
- Shots taken at 1/100.

" 4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture "
- I personally satisfied with the shot. But, it's not really "a big WOW" to me yet which I don't really know why. So, would love to hear from you all.

clubsnap28.jpg

My Flickr: flickr.com/photos/135101614@N08
My Facebook: facebook.com/henry.nguyen.nt
My 500px: 500px.com/photon_family

I really like the composition and action here. The movement of the dancer in the center, together with the motion and powder looks abstractly like a logo (reminded me a logo from a company I can't seem to remember the name of now). It conveys a sense of grace, yet power at the same time.

I would be inclined to expose the shot a little more so that the powder is white. The slightly blueish tinge in the light doesn't quite do it for me though. Would've preferred more neutral tones but that's my personal preference.

I'd clean up the bottom to bottom-right portion of the image a little so that it doesn't get too distracting.

The hair, the chest and his left hand..I feel these a little bit unnatural. And somehow I feel the colour and the contrast can be better. But overall, great moment capture.

Its nice . just a bit messy .