Potential Sensor in the New E-Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drakon09

Aug 12, 2005
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0705/07051401panasonicrobustsensor.asp

Looks like Panny has just thrown a new sensor type in the mix!

Quote:
"The cutting-edge semiconductor process technology can realize the pattering of an array of digital-microlenses made of an inorganic material in subwavelength dimensions. A digital-microlens can be formed by patterning digitally the inorganic material in concentric rings, which works out as a conventional onchip microlens to gather more light onto the photo diode area. The light path of each digital-microlens can therefore readily be designed according to its relative position on the image area. As a result, a uniform sensitivity can be achieved across the image area in any camera module in use."

Potential Applications:

This new sensor type could possibly improve LiveView - higher fps, lower power consumption etc.

At the same time, it could potentially improve signal-to-noise ratio (ISO 12,800 at ISO 400 noise levels anyone?? :bsmilie:)

Now if the microlenses can be manoeuvred, the next-generation IS systems won't involve sensor-shift I suspect.

Disclaimer:
This is PURE SPECULATION on my part!

Sensor improvement is always good. :D :thumbsup: juz got to wait & see.

just look at the new 1D3. :lovegrin:

I suppose a new sensor for the P3 is highly probable in order to distinguish it from the current E510 and E400 models.

As always - we pray for the holy grail of low noise at high ISO and greater dynamic range.

I suppose a new sensor for the P3 is highly probable in order to distinguish it from the current E510 and E400 models.

As always - we pray for the holy grail of low noise at high ISO and greater dynamic range.

Low noise? Try no noise. :bsmilie:

But luminance noise is necessary for a image to look real; a picture looking too clean just looks totally devoid of character.

Dynamic range sounds good... sound pretty darn good!

If this sensor lives up to what Panny claims it is, digital will be closer to film than ever before.

If this sensor lives up to what Panny claims it is, digital will be closer to film than ever before.

But still quite a long way to go... sigh...

You never know, sekali this sensor reaches 10 stops of latitude... bye bye film.

That would be awesome! But sigh... I am not so optimistic.

You never know, sekali this sensor reaches 10 stops of latitude... bye bye film.

u r forgetting the colours. i want 16bit sensor, just like those found in MF digital backs. :lovegrin:

i agree with microcosm, digital still has some distance to catch up to film.

u r forgetting the colours. i want 16bit sensor, just like those found in MF digital backs. :lovegrin:

Looks like it is still better for me to wish for the price drops and get a Mamiya 645 with a digital back (been lusting after this for years)... in the worse case scenario, I can buy it with my CPF money... ha ha ha...

Where digital is concerned, the magic number is the Signal-to-Noise ratio.

The higher it is, the more latitude in dynamic range.

How many bits the sensor works on has nothing to do with the size.

But everything to do with the $$$...

Where digital is concerned, the magic number is the Signal-to-Noise ratio.

The higher it is, the more latitude in dynamic range.

How many bits the sensor works on has nothing to do with the size.

But everything to do with the $$$...

huh??? i'm talking about having 16bit sensor in the new E-Pro, nothing about the size. make reference to MF digital backs becos they have been using 16bit sensors instead of the usual 12bits or the newer 14bits found in our normal DSLRs.

if i want top of the hill S/N ratio, i'll definitely choose the Canon 5D. :lovegrin:

btw do u know the old E1 has very good DR, only 2nd to the fuji SuperCCD found in the S3 & 5.

edited: sorry, i shud say the old E1 is now in the 4th place in terms of DR. 1st place is the SuperCCD, 2nd is the Canon 5D & 3rd is the new Canon 1D3. Technology has since progressed alot, Oly has to really have some break thru in the next E-Pro in order to still have a foothold in this arena.

don't think they'll be implementing it in any cameras that soon... or would they?

huh??? i'm talking about having 16bit sensor in the new E-Pro, nothing about the size. make reference to MF digital backs becos they have been using 16bit sensors instead of the usual 12bits or the newer 14bits found in our normal DSLRs.

if i want top of the hill S/N ratio, i'll definitely choose the Canon 5D. :lovegrin:

btw do u know the old E1 has very good DR, only 2nd to the fuji SuperCCD found in the S3 & 5.

edited: sorry, i shud say the old E1 is now in the 4th place in terms of DR. 1st place is the SuperCCD, 2nd is the Canon 5D & 3rd is the new Canon 1D3. Technology has since progressed alot, Oly has to really have some break thru in the next E-Pro in order to still have a foothold in this arena.

And what I'm saying is that having 20-bit register in a FourThirds sensor is also no problem.

But I don't think most of us could afford that.

Consumer sensors hardly have over the top SNR anyway.

Now if the microlenses can be manoeuvred, the next-generation IS systems won't involve sensor-shift I suspect.

Disclaimer:
This is PURE SPECULATION on my part!

This is relation to the angle of light reaching the sensor (edge vs center for example). Nothing to do with IS.

This is relation to the angle of light reaching the sensor (edge vs center for example). Nothing to do with IS.

Just thinking out of the box.

Current conventions will always be replaced by new methods. ;)

I THINK I have read somewhere that an olympus executive has confirmed that the new pro-body has the same imaging engine as the E410/E510.

Heard that also. but how far it's going to be true we won't know. If what smallpeak mention is true that the E-pro have run into some minor problems, could it be....

...banding noise patterns? :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.