Potential owner of new D700

Leong KM

Apr 6, 2007
Singapore
I've been considering very seriously to go for D700 (from Canon 30D & 40D) recently and will be buying it in next few days.
The 1st lens I'll go with D700 will be AF-S 24-70mm.
Total damage cost is pretty high compared to EOS 30D/40D which I owned, hence I'll need to be prudent in picking a good one (instead of a lemon).
To all experts here, which retailers you think is good in terms of service and patient enough for me to test with it?
Which retailer usually hv more newer stock?
What do I look/check/test for in the shop regards to body and the lens I mentioned above?

Appreciate you all can share some experiences.

Never hv such feeling previously.. Not sure why?

CP, once paid lemon or no you cant exchange for another item even though you are still inside the shop.

:eek:. I think you over worry. This is a high quality camera made in Japan. I think picking a lemon is even harder than a good one! And manufacturing defects are inevitable in any products. That's why there is a thing called warranty. Just pick one that works. No point worrying too much.

i think there are a few second hand d700... cheaper alternative :)

Dun be 'kon' (con).
Stick to ur cannon.

I arent sure what the future holds for both made but for now, nikon cam is better than canon in some critical area in my own opinion.

niccon2 said:
I arent sure what the future holds for both made but for now, nikon cam is better than canon in some critical area in my own opinion.

Is it? Care to share ?
Oh btw I a nikon user :p

Actually imho, if we have the $ in the world, get both system.but if to face reality, just settle with 1 system, and get the best use out of it. :)

Last edited:
i heard that the nikon flash system is really advanced
i also heard that the camera just feels better in your hands

but most of all i heard that the nikon users are the best kaki

Last edited:
ortega said:

On a personal preferences I guess.
But I do personally feel better grip for nikon over canon:)

i like the interface and smaller in size compare to canon
nikon also use simple words like DX FX slient wave motor compare to Ultra sonic motor drive

I think i like the grip. but the canon flash is somewhat better when shooting direct flash (sometimes you need to, where there is no nothing to bounce). nikon user.

Leong KM said:
I've been considering very seriously to go for D700 (from Canon 30D & 40D) recently and will be buying it in next few days.
Total damage cost is pretty high compared to EOS 30D/40D which I owned, hence I'll need to be prudent in picking a good one (instead of a lemon).
To all experts here, which retailers you think is good in terms of service and patient enough for me to test with it?
What do I look/check/test for in the shop regards to body and the lens I mentioned above?

Well a shop at funan, John 3:16 has pretty excellent service. But switching to nikon is pretty risky don't you think? What if you don't like how it feels and stuff like that? Oh one more thing, canon and nikon lenses turn in a different direction.

New camera bodies are mostly ok. Bring a lens, make sure can shoot, look at exterior make sure ok, and you are set.

I opted to buy in Malaysia. But that is me. Locally, TK, OP, CP and SLRR are good bets.

I would check the LCD for hot / dead pixels but doing a full "dark" shot (using lens cap in M mode) and a full "bright" shot by pointing at the light (overexpose).
Next is check for lens focus sharpness if you are buying the lens together. For new set, it is not much to check as mostly covered by warranty if things go wrong

Since D700 replacement maybe coming in a few months so you can consider waiting for it or purchase a used one for cheaper price. To me a used set seems a wiser choice but if you have the money, more power to you ;)

If you already started with canon... may as well stick to it.. as when you change over to nikon.. have to start all over again.. as all the lens and accessory you have bought early on cannot be use on the nikon... maybe you can think of upgrading to a better canon body...:) Do kindly correct me if i am wrong.. thanks..

i personally find better ergonomics & AF from nikon (when compare D90, D700 against 50D, 7D). I just start to use canon flash system so cant really compare.

indeed.......:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Canon flashes have buttons especially made for ants to use, and not humans.