Posterization

Status
Not open for further replies.

sensornoise

Jun 18, 2009
So, to reduce the possibility of posterization, it is prudent to edit in 16-bit and avoid using a gamut too wide. But there's nothing much you can do in 16-bit no (e.g. can't use adjustment layers etc)? Or is it that my software is too outdated? Please advise:)

You'll need to try out different colour spaces and re-mapping. Just be conservative not to push till it can't be printed. :)

So, to reduce the possibility of posterization, it is prudent to edit in 16-bit and avoid using a gamut too wide. But there's nothing much you can do in 16-bit no (e.g. can't use adjustment layers etc)? Or is it that my software is too outdated? Please advise:)

What software are you referring to? You can do everything on Photoshop

Color spaces, I though using a narrow one would be safer? like sRGB.
And my old photoshop can't do much with 16-bit. Can't even use layers and many other function.

Color spaces, I though using a narrow one would be safer? like sRGB.
And my old photoshop can't do much with 16-bit. Can't even use layers and many other function.

Funny, even in 8 bit I can use layers and all the functions... And that is in all the versions I have used

I use CS4 now and do everything in 16-bit RAW & RGB. There is still posterization. I realize that the raw file already has posterization (i wonder why) when I view the thumbnail from DPP. But I can't see when opened/enlarged. Same for the jpeg. Posterization when u view the thumbnail but can't see when opened/enlarged. Funny thing is when u upload to the web (full sized), you'll see posterization which was not present when you open and view on your computer. Anybody?:dunno:

I use CS4 now and do everything in 16-bit RAW & RGB. There is still posterization. I realize that the raw file already has posterization (i wonder why) when I view the thumbnail from DPP. But I can't see when opened/enlarged. Same for the jpeg. Posterization when u view the thumbnail but can't see when opened/enlarged. Funny thing is when u upload to the web (full sized), you'll see posterization which was not present when you open and view on your computer. Anybody?:dunno:

The embedded jpg and preview jpg is heavily processed / compressed. Is it normal that the quality is quite low - because it's just a preview.
Is your full size image processed in any way when uploading? Some platforms do an automated resizing when images are uploaded.

Sorry guys I found out that the problem is solved by setting my windows display setting to 32bit instead of 16bit. :embrass:. I will still edit in 16bit RAW though since my new software supports it. Thank you guys for the help:)

Status
Not open for further replies.