Post Processing - Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rejoice

May 6, 2007
Upper Thomson
Hi, I need some advise as to which is worthwhile for me to buy?, I know the price different is very significant: Nikon Capture NX or Photoshop CS

1. I do not usually like to do post processing, except for some slight adjustment to the saturation or sharpness, etc...

2. I am planning to start taking RAW file and not sure whether it would be able to read on Photoshop.

3. I know that Photoshop have features like framining, watermark, etc... nut not sure does Nikon Capture NX has?

Thanks.

I am using Nikon Capture (old one, not the NCNX one). Because I am not do many post processing, it serve me well.

OT a bit, don't use grenade to kill a mouse when mouse trap will do ;) .

Regards,
Arto.

Personal opinion.

Adobe Photoshop CS (or whatever version) is a must have. It does read RAW with a converter.

However, if you gonna get serious with photography, I recommend getting Adobe Photoshop Lightroom too. It doesn't replace Photoshop, Lightroom simply acts as a companion which helps you in your workflow. It's a raw converter etc etc.

More info: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/

Are you using Mac or PC?

I use a combi of Nikon Capture NX and Adobe Photoshop CS.

I find PS controls quite difficult to manipulate to what I want.

PS CS cost a bomb too. :sweat:

I used to use Nikon Capture 4 but some how recently all the photos turned out with a greenish cast!! So I now trying to get used to NX.

Another point to note is Nikon Capture's JPG seems to be better than PS dunno why. :dunno:

I use a combi of Nikon Capture NX and Adobe Photoshop CS.

I find PS controls quite difficult to manipulate to what I want.

PS CS cost a bomb too. :sweat:

I used to use Nikon Capture 4 but some how recently all the photos turned out with a greenish cast!! So I now trying to get used to NX.

Another point to note is Nikon Capture's JPG seems to be better than PS dunno why. :dunno:

Yes, PS CS cost a bomb and I don't think I will be doing a lot of post processing which I hate. Perhaps just some minor correction which I think Nikon Capture NX should be able to do the job well. By the way do you know how much is Nikon Capture NX and which version is it now in the market?

.....some advise as to which is worthwhile for me to buy?, ....Nikon Capture NX or Photoshop CS

1. I do not usually like to do post processing, except for some slight adjustment to the saturation or sharpness, etc...

The tools available in Nikon CaptureNX are sufficient for the task that you mentioned.

].....some advise as to which is worthwhile for me to buy?, ....Nikon Capture NX or Photoshop CS

2. I am planning to start taking RAW file and not sure whether it would be able to read on Photoshop.

With the correct Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) version, you should be able to read the file.

].....some advise as to which is worthwhile for me to buy?, ....Nikon Capture NX or Photoshop CS

3. I know that Photoshop have features like framining, watermark, etc... nut not sure does Nikon Capture NX has?

Nikon CaptureNX lacks framing, watermarking & etc features. It too lacks cloning and healing function too. I compensate this lacking with the watermarking feature found in Faststone Image Resizer software.

There was a rather similar discussion held at this thread
http://forum.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=255006

get Photoshop LR first, it will do exactly what you want in a very easy and intuitive way. The user interface is better than NX.

get Photoshop LR first, it will do exactly what you want in a very easy and intuitive way. The user interface is better than NX.

Thanks very much for all the valuable advise. Do you mean PS Lightroom is independent for PS CS, and it can 'run' on its own?

Thanks very much for all the valuable advise. Do you mean PS Lightroom is independent for PS CS, and it can 'run' on its own?

PS LR is a independent SW by itself. And you won't go wrong with this one... pretty darn good. Highly recommended stuff. A friend if mine got it for 157 from cathay marina.

can i do layering with LR and import fonts in?

This is also a decent solution to photo editing : details
Ulead PhotoImpact 11 is a complete image-editing suite with easy-to-use tools for all your image and photo-editing needs. My Workspace fits the program layout to your style. Advanced features match today's sophisticated cameras. Extensive creative tools help you realize your vision. Whether you're new to digital photography or want to take creative expression to the next level, PhotoImpact 11 makes professional image editing easy.
Features:
• Transfer photos in one step from digital cameras, scanners, and more
• Organise photos into albums
• Rotate, crop and enhance photos in seconds
• Automatically optimise images for the web and email
• RAW/DNG/16-bit file support
• Large file support for 8-Megapixel+ cameras
• High dynamic range combines multiple shots (different exposures) for perfectly-lit photos
• Advanced painting and drawing tools including 2D and 3D text
• Professional filters: enhance lighting, gaussian blur, remove noise and more
• Print multiple photos on a single sheet
• Share via email, mobile phones, TV slideshows and more!
• Includes Photo Explorer 8.6 image management software
• Video tutorial teaches you image editing basics
Ulead Cool 360 turns your images into 360-degree panoramas

I use the 2005 version for PC and XP Home or Pro and depending on what your after , can do a respectable job , however there isnt really and allternative to Adobe Photoshop CS ( either CS , CS2 OR CS3 ) other than the usual money issues :eek:

What's the key difference in photo editing between CS and Lightroom?

The difference is significant when you have to sharpen/level/adjust wb/add watermark/Noise reduce 1k++ photos... it's so much faster... I'm still testing it now but till now, I'm very satisfied.

THou I still have PS for specific Layering edit...;p

No layering in LR. It's meant for adjusting 1k++ photos in a flash... edit one and apply your setting throughout...

See http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/ there is a demo inside... :p :thumbsup:

I am using Lightroom. The program was a zap initially. But as I have more photos in my library (>5000), I feel that it has slowed down. Does any of you have similar experience and wonder if this is the norm. My RAM size is 1.5GB.

I am using Lightroom. The program was a zap initially. But as I have more photos in my library (>5000), I feel that it has slowed down. Does any of you have similar experience and wonder if this is the norm. My RAM size is 1.5GB.

I kinda doubt it has to do with RAM.

Well I'm not sure if it does help if you clear your 1:1 previews (preference>file management) because those cache are stored on HDD, not RAM. I don't clear though. I too have > 5k worth of photos, using 2GB of RAM.

Oh speaking of that, is your HDD running low on space? HDD does affect overall PC performance. However, theoretically speaking, performance should drop since more information is present. Especially LR remembers the history of edits in every individual photo. But despite of that, I've no complains with performance. Mine still loads up and work like a breeze.

Maybe a good practice is to remove collections from libraries once you are completely done with them?

The best practise is , when youve got a library sorted out properly and edited to your taste , get it off your pc and onto cd / dvd / external HDD / or whatever your backup preference is , then if you arent using all the photos remove the ones your not using , full cluttered hard drives slow down your pc , so does lack of RAM but 1.5gb should be ok for what your doing .
I would recommend to anyone , backing up all your files , progs etc and doing a full format every 12 months suprising how much junk you collect in your registry .
If this doesnt speed it up you could either a) have a virus/trojan of some kind or b) your HDD may be on its way out .

One small point , I have also found those using Windows Vista need at least 2048 system RAM to run Graphics editing progs sufficiently well .

I use iView MediaPro to catalog and keyword all my photos. It has since upgraded to Microsoft Expression Media. In my opinion, this is faster than Lightroom and Adobe Bridge. Simple editing is also available within MediaPro. However, MediaPro does not have all the cool and nice features that Lightroom has.

How much do you people pay for lightroom? I saw in CP that one box is sold for $400+++.
Where do you pay for Lightroom as well.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.