Post pictures to The Straits Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

daphz

Apr 19, 2004
Hey guys,
your chance to up your profile as a photographer ;)

The Straits Times wants your photos. The theme for the week is NEW BEGINNINGS. Click on the website for more details

PHOTOLOG

#$(*&%)()@(##()@

Take a look at the terms and conditions (especially #1):-

Terms & Conditions
1. In submitting your picture/s, you irrevocably agree to grant STI a perpetual, royalty-free, exclusive right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, make available to the public including sublicensing, and exercise all copyright and publicity rights with respect to their contributions. The Contributor also agrees that upon submission of his works, all terms and conditions contained here will apply without qualification whatsoever.
2. Contributors will not be paid for their submissions.
3. Strictly no spamming or off-topic material: The STI Photolog site does not allow multiple submission of the same or similar contributions. Spammers will be blocked by our web administrators. STI reserves the right to reject off-topic submissions in subject-specific areas.
4. Views expressed in STI's Photolog site are those of contributors and are not necessarily those of STI. Contributors shall be responsible for their own views and photographic works and shall ensure that their submissions of their works including any captions are not defamatory, indecent or offensive in any nature.
5. Further, contributors must submit only materials which they own the copyright thereto.
6. Contributors shall indemnify and hold STI, its holding company Singapore Press Holdings Ltd, harmless against any claims, suits, actions, damages including without any limitation all costs and expenses incurred in the event of any claim or suit from any third party as a result of the publication of the contributors' works.
7. If there is any conflict between these terms and specific terms appearing elsewhere on STI (including local house rules) then the latter shall prevail.

And if you look at #6 - if there is any dispute arising from use of your picture, you are liable for damages.

STI gets all the benefits, photographer gets all the risks. Incredible!!

Addendum -- Further expounding on Item #1, specifically the term "exclusive right to use ..."

which basically means that you as a photographer LOSE all rights to use YOUR OWN photo for other means.

In other words they want free photos....that's all. Imagine you bringing up a child from birth, taking care of it when it is sick and suddenly you give it away and you have no right to visit it anymore. This is a cheap gimmick.

They won't even credit you?

Just check
They will credit the photos.

4. You must submit your real name and contact details to be credited for the picture. Your details will not be revealed to the general public or third parties.

I never expect Straits Times to do such a thing.......

:thumbsd: I never believe in giving away free photos.

Its a lose/ lose situations for photogs. We take pics, give them, let them use FOC, plus get sued or get into legal cases whenever things go bad.

Ha, maybe Straits Times is treating us like vegetables? This is bad.....very bad.....really cant believe they are doing this......sigh.......

Bernard Ong said:
Its a lose/ lose situations for photogs. We take pics, give them, let them use FOC, plus get sued or get into legal cases whenever things go bad.

Ha, maybe Straits Times is treating us like vegetables? This is bad.....very bad.....really cant believe they are doing this......sigh.......
exactly, once word to describe, but i won't spell it full. d*sp**able.

hori said:
They won't even credit you?

Just check
They will credit the photos.

4. You must submit your real name and contact details to be credited for the picture. Your details will not be revealed to the general public or third parties.

Sometimes credit isn't enough. Unless u are really confident that ur shot is good & u will be talent-spotted coz if it, it is better to get some payment for it. The part about bearing all the risks makes it more not worthwhile.

I just sent them an email, commenting on their unprofessionalism. I also give them some advise so as to make it more encouraging for photogs to submit their pictures.

i think we can reasonably conclude that it is not ST alone, but the result of their editorial policy of media giant here. Not too long ago, remember that they ask for story leads, but will not pay for such leads, if it leads to publication.

Bernard Ong said:
I just sent them an email, commenting on their unprofessionalism. I also give them some advise so as to make it more encouraging for photogs to submit their pictures.

Way to go dude. :thumbsup:

Update us once they (if ever) reply yah?

Its so CHEAPO of SPH stating such a term! Totally unprofessional and disgraceful being the BIGGEST News agency in Singapore! When will they ever wake up!

SMC said:
Its so CHEAPO of SPH stating such a term! Totally unprofessional and disgraceful being the BIGGEST News agency in Singapore! When will they ever wake up!
Too bad though.

Since they are the biggest, they prolly hold bragging rights, terms and conditions up to them to set. It's like a, "U Like U Give. Don't Like, Don't Give" thing.

If I'm 5yrs younger, I might be more naive and really done it for free, giving up all my rights and credit to the photos. Not now baby... not now.... ;)

jsbn said:
Too bad though.

Since they are the biggest, they prolly hold bragging rights, terms and conditions up to them to set. It's like a, "U Like U Give. Don't Like, Don't Give" thing.

If I'm 5yrs younger, I might be more naive and really done it for free, giving up all my rights and credit to the photos. Not now baby... not now.... ;)

not now.... not anymore?

reachme2003 said:
not now.... not anymore?
U betcha....

At least a name there, crediting me for the photos. Arial Font size 8, I oso happy. No way I'm doing FOC stuff... Even as an ameuter noob, I got my dignity.

daphz said:
Hey guys,
your chance to up your profile as a photographer ;)

The Straits Times wants your photos. The theme for the week is NEW BEGINNINGS. Click on the website for more details

PHOTOLOG

the link doesn't work anymore?

anyway, read the COPY'n'PASTE version from Darren...
i must admit that its not very pleasant. :(

surely there are photographers in S.T who might have voiced some concerns with the terms and conditions? totally one sided and to the total benefit of S.T.

Blahhhhh :blah:

Typical thinking of big guys.....this is the second time this has happened here in Singapore......first time was that URA contest, after I sent an email to the organiser they changed the rules.....it all has got to do with the mentality here, you get a prize/money so we paid for the rights too and pics. All very business like! Time we photographers behave more business like..don't get bullied!

HS

Status
Not open for further replies.