Possible to use D3100 to take pictures in bulb mode using PC?

kensou

Jan 24, 2011
SBW
Hi CSers, I am wondering if anyone know if this works?

I currently owns a D3100, and I want to use bulb mode shooting but I don't want to use my watch to time the exposure time, as it is inconsistent.

Is it possible to use laptop to take the shot and time the exposure time?

Thanks

I currently owns a D3100, and I want to use bulb mode shooting but I don't want to use my watch to time the exposure time, as it is inconsistent.

Thanks

Please, a watch is fine. When you are doing anything beyond 30 seconds, 1 or 2 seconds out of the 60, 120, 180 seconds is really not going to affect the exposure.

I'm not in tune with Nikon cameras, but if the D3100 can use shutter release, you can look for the timer version lor.

Otherwise, I think it'd be silly to carry a laptop around just to shoot long exposures.

yea I agree.. but doing it for 60-70 times continuously is gonna affect abit on me. As I am moving into Astrophotography fields so it doesnt matter my setup is heavy or not. Just want to work with what I have instead of getting a timer remote..

yea I agree.. but doing it for 60-70 times continuously is gonna affect abit on me. As I am moving into Astrophotography fields so it doesnt matter my setup is heavy or not. Just want to work with what I have instead of getting a timer remote..

I tried to do a search if PC tethering (that's what it's called) offers a solution for the lower end models for Nikon.

Best I could come up with was the D50 tethered to Apple Aperture:

http://www.planetholt.com/2009/04/04/tethering-nikon-d50-mac/242

Allows you to do 30 second exposures only though. Are you planning to stack? If so, then I guess it should be ok.

thanks edutilos-, I will go take a look and read up :D

Thanks

TS, look at this timer shutter remote. You can even do interval shooting for timelapse photography.
http://www.reddotphoto.com.sg/ecommerce/viewproducts.php?pid=133&catid=2.3

oh thats a nice timer remote.. maybe I can consider too thks

There are other 3rd party ones that are cheaper too. Just need to search a bit in mass sales. What works for D90 will likely work for D3100, which came to me as a pleasant surprise :)