Possible to go overland from SG to Canada/States?

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
Just got this very very crazy idea..

overland.jpg

* The red line is my intended route of advancement.

Basically just go overland north all the way, malaysia, thailand, ..... , into China, to Mongolia, into Russia :) Then travel eastwards all the way to the north-eastern tip of Asia continent, then take a ferry (if there is) to Alaska, then downwards to Vancouver, Canada to visit my relatives and tell them my travel tales.. After that probably fly back to SG.

Is it possible? I didn't go take a very close look at my atlas book, so this is just a thought/suggestion for myself.

Very nice! But it's almost the same distance if you go through a few more countries. Turn westward into Myanmar, Bangladash, India, Nepale, China, Mongonia, China, Korea, Russia, Take a ship through Britling Strait, Alaska, Canada and US.

Find a cooperate sponsor, build a website and show us the most spectacular travel photographs, all in 8MPs. :p

there's a wee bit of problem...

u'll be entering the arctic circle. wonder if there's any civilization there... then there the bering seas, right smack in the arctic zone. if i remember correctly from discovery channel, the only ships plying dat area are the alaskan king crab fishers - one of the world's most dangerous jobs.

doubt u can go overland from there. :think:

heck... just the journey overland to china itself is already an achievement, IMO. ;p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercontinental_Peace_Bridge

Check out this book :
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...f=pd_bbs_2/102-0170454-1768967?_encoding=UTF8

Obewan Kenobi did a journey on his bike with a friend, but started from London. From Mongolia onwards, the portion is similar to yours, except the Russia Alaska portion which was done on flight... (yup, overland at this portion is tricky at best....)

Good read and quite erm... inspirational.. ;)
If you got the dough, definitely doable, except the Russia Alaska portion...

behyx said:

Basically just go overland north all the way, malaysia, thailand, ..... , into China, to Mongolia, into Russia :) Then travel eastwards all the way to the north-eastern tip of Asia continent, then take a ferry (if there is) to Alaska, then downwards to Vancouver, Canada to visit my relatives and tell them my travel tales.. After that probably fly back to SG.

Is it possible? I didn't go take a very close look at my atlas book, so this is just a thought/suggestion for myself.

They are going to build a pan-asian highway from Singapore to Malaysia to Thailand to China (Yunnan) onto Beijing, from there technically you can continue northwards to Russia then eastwards to the sea. Then u stop there, not sure how will you cross over the ocean to the USA. (thats why the American continent was not "discovered" until 500 years ago)

nightwolf75 said:
there's a wee bit of problem...

u'll be entering the arctic circle. wonder if there's any civilization there... then there the bering seas, right smack in the arctic zone. if i remember correctly from discovery channel, the only ships plying dat area are the alaskan king crab fishers - one of the world's most dangerous jobs.

doubt u can go overland from there. :think:

heck... just the journey overland to china itself is already an achievement, IMO. ;p

Arctic circle? In Nov 2005, i've travelled alone 200+km into the arctic circle in Sweden, and stayed with a Swedish family in a small village for a night. It's nothing to be afraid of. Hehehe..
Eh, you have a point regarding the sea. All those arctic seas are not fun to play with.. But i want to know if commercial sea crossing is allowed there. The worst kind of death to me is drowning, really!

nuts said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercontinental_Peace_Bridge

Check out this book :
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...f=pd_bbs_2/102-0170454-1768967?_encoding=UTF8

Obewan Kenobi did a journey on his bike with a friend, but started from London. From Mongolia onwards, the portion is similar to yours, except the Russia Alaska portion which was done on flight... (yup, overland at this portion is tricky at best....)

Good read and quite erm... inspirational.. ;)
If you got the dough, definitely doable, except the Russia Alaska portion...

Plenty of thanks nuts :) :)

I think my sis has this book, i could borrow from her. Looks like Ewan Mcgregor shares the same thought as me huh! I too, got inspired when i looked at the map, and i want to turn my dream into reality someday.
Yea i think if sea/bridge crossing is impossible at the borders, i shall take the plane.

dRebelXT said:
Very nice! But it's almost the same distance if you go through a few more countries. Turn westward into Myanmar, Bangladash, India, Nepale, China, Mongonia, China, Korea, Russia, Take a ship through Britling Strait, Alaska, Canada and US.

Find a cooperate sponsor, build a website and show us the most spectacular travel photographs, all in 8MPs. :p

Eh, Rebel, getting a corporate sponsor is very very inspiring.. If i were to do this trip, i couldn't do it alone. I must find a buddy to do it with me. ;)

behyx said:

overland.jpg

* The red line is my intended route of advancement.

this is possible.
it has been covered by the discover channel.
btw you DO NOT need to take a ship.

There is a super long state of the art bridge that links Russia to Alaska across the Bering Strait. Google that information.

you CAN drive a car from Singapore (or London or Capetown) to South America

EDIT: you CANT drive as of now. piaseh. not built yet.. hehehehe

haagen_dazs said:
this is possible.
it has been covered by the discover channel.
btw you DO NOT need to take a ship.

There is a super long state of the art bridge that links Russia to Alaska across the Britling Strait. Google that information.

you CAN drive a car from Singapore (or London or Capetown) to South America

CAN DRIVE TO SOUTH AMERICA?! omfg! =\ can't believe that man lol. i always thought there was a big gap around alaska side. haha very enriching information here.

Astin said:
Then u stop there, not sure how will you cross over the ocean to the USA. (thats why the American continent was not "discovered" until 500 years ago)

Might as well throw in the link
http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/engineering/beringstrait/interactive/interactive.html

its a 55mile long elevated bridge which makes it about 3 times the width of our island.
good stuff. :thumbsup:

the portion between Russia and Alaska ocassionally freezes so you could travel on that.
The Russians have done it before :)
just checked out that link! wah

One helluva road trip:)

Awesome awesome! Great info haagen dazs!

I was at the huge traveller shop in marina square this evening.. There was a really huge map with lots of LEDs and a spin-able 2-axles globe. While others are looking at mainstream cities and countries, i am actually looking at the gap between Russia and Alaska.. Seems so small yet so large.

haagen_dazs said:
Might as well throw in the link
http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/engineering/beringstrait/interactive/interactive.html

its a 55mile long elevated bridge which makes it about 3 times the width of our island.
good stuff. :thumbsup:

Sorry after i went through the entire flash website, i have some doubts that it's already up and running. From the way they wrote it, all the 'could be' and 'might be' simply means it's only a vision, and as of now, the physical bridge is not up yet.
Moreover, if the bridge is up, why is there no actual pictures? Everything is CG.

Pardon my questionings.. ;)

Will it cost more than US$40 billion dollars to build that?:think: Interesting indeed!:bigeyes:

That bering strait is one for the future la. Might not even build it. Discovery was just exploring what can or might be done. They did a udersea tunnel from London to NY too. :bsmilie: Yes, across the mighty Alantic.

Overland not possible as of now. Maybe a short hop on a ship across the bering strait or plane. Oh yes, i've watch the crab fishing season as well. The seas there is power!

I've also watch Michael Palin's Full Circle. Pacific Ocean round trip. He started his trip from the Bering Strait, travel to Eastern Russia, China, down to S.E.A, to Aust, flew to Chile then all the way up back to Alaska. He published a book too. Full Circle-Michael Palin.

Status
Not open for further replies.