Possible to go overland from SG to Canada/States?

Status
Not open for further replies.
afbug said:
That bering strait is one for the future la. Might not even build it. Discovery was just exploring what can or might be done. They did a udersea tunnel from London to NY too. :bsmilie: Yes, across the mighty Alantic.

Overland not possible as of now. Maybe a short hop on a ship across the bering strait or plane. Oh yes, i've watch the crab fishing season as well. The seas there is power!

I've also watch Michael Palin's Full Circle. Pacific Ocean round trip. He started his trip from the Bering Strait, travel to Eastern Russia, China, down to S.E.A, to Aust, flew to Chile then all the way up back to Alaska. He published a book too. Full Circle-Michael Palin.

I wish i could be the first Singaporean to do that :)

behyx said:
I wish i could be the first Singaporean to do that :)

Those people who sponsor you to get this done must be filthy rich then. Frankly speaking in Singapore, I don't think this will happen.;p

Spectrum said:
Those people who sponsor you to get this done must be filthy rich then. Frankly speaking in Singapore, I don't think this will happen.;p

Normally for such stuff, you don't ask an individual to sponsor you.
Usually is corporate sponsors.. Haha..! I wonder if it could happen..

Astin said:
Its not possible to build the bridge lah, technically and commercially and militarily.

Technically, its possible. We got the technology. Politically, i not sure. Commercially, almost impossible. :bsmilie: It will cost billions and who wanna pay? Our generation will probably not get to see this bridge. Maybe next century.

The Dubai Plam island was thought to be almost impossible too.

behyx said:

That's why is mentioned people & not person. Heehee...:D

afbug said:

This is a oily filthy rich country you know?:sweat:

afbug said:
Technically, its possible. We got the technology. Politically, i not sure. Commercially, almost impossible. :bsmilie: It will cost billions and who wanna pay? Our generation will probably not get to see this bridge. Maybe next century.

The cost of building the bridge just doesn't justify... On top of that, the bridge can only be in use for 4months every year, probably summer... Given a highway and even a dedicated train track underneath it, who will want to use this route between Alaska and Russia? Probably only people like me will be interested. Moreover both areas near the coast are very sparsly populated.

Maybe they will never build the bridge afterall! And a natural 'land bridge' will be form during the next ice-age.

Thats why its commercially impossible. :bsmilie: No money no honey.

behyx:
You must have seen the documentary. :bsmilie:

Heh, I'm reading Palin's Full Circle now. Ewan McGregor, Palin's trip etc are all funded trips, and they flew cos there's no overland route over it. And if you read Long Way Round, Obiwan shared his frustration of a funded trip cos there is a whole crew following you, and certain destinations, he had to follow certain itineraries as dictated by the biz people (otherwise, the book and the film doesn't sell, see?). So when its a sponspored trip, you lose a certain amount of the sense of adventure travel... :(

[font=0.5]behyx, if you find some sponspor, ask can include one more or not? ;)[/font]

nuts said:
Heh, I'm reading Palin's Full Circle now. Ewan McGregor, Palin's trip etc are all funded trips, and they flew cos there's no overland route over it. And if you read Long Way Round, Obiwan shared his frustration of a funded trip cos there is a whole crew following you, and certain destinations, he had to follow certain itineraries as dictated by the biz people (otherwise, the book and the film doesn't sell, see?). So when its a sponspored trip, you lose a certain amount of the sense of adventure travel... ;)

Well, that's what this people do. No free lunch in this country & in the entire world, you know?;p

behyx said:

Highly possible for a corporate sponsor to sponsor u...but u would prob need to do a detailed proposal. breakdown of the whole route, estimated costs, why you are doing it, how the company stands to gain, prove that u are able to undertake the whole journey etc...then send your proposal around and hope for good news...

Good luck!

afbug said:
Thats why its commercially impossible. :bsmilie: No money no honey.

behyx:
You must have seen the documentary. :bsmilie:

No actually i haven't seen the documentary. That's what i gathered from the discovery channel website given by haagen dazs.

So sad :(

nuts said:
Heh, I'm reading Palin's Full Circle now. Ewan McGregor, Palin's trip etc are all funded trips, and they flew cos there's no overland route over it. And if you read Long Way Round, Obiwan shared his frustration of a funded trip cos there is a whole crew following you, and certain destinations, he had to follow certain itineraries as dictated by the biz people (otherwise, the book and the film doesn't sell, see?). So when its a sponspored trip, you lose a certain amount of the sense of adventure travel... :(

[font=0.5]behyx, if you find some sponspor, ask can include one more or not? ;)[/font]

hehe nuts u wanna follow huh huh! Hehe.. with your travel experiences, i doubt there will be any problem ;) Well that is, IF anybody is willing to sponsor.. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
Actually u really do have a point there regarding the restrictions.. Hmm.... by the way how much do u think such a trip will cost? if it'll gonna be a 6-12mths trip..

Witness said:
one tot bro...how long do u plan for this trip?

anywhere between 6-12mths? maybe? hehhee.. send me off if the day comes. i may not come back alive.. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

boroangel said:
Highly possible for a corporate sponsor to sponsor u...but u would prob need to do a detailed proposal. breakdown of the whole route, estimated costs, why you are doing it, how the company stands to gain, prove that u are able to undertake the whole journey etc...then send your proposal around and hope for good news...

Good luck!

Thanks for your advices Boro.. Will note it down :)
I probably can start to target companies that do satallite internet connectivity, with all those tech stuffs like satallite phone, etc.. Then we can do a on-the-go website updating on the trip n stuffs..
Then the tagline is 'Crossing pacific ocean on foot'.. hahahhaha

behyx said:
Thanks for your advices Boro.. Will note it down :)
I probably can start to target companies that do satallite internet connectivity, with all those tech stuffs like satallite phone, etc.. Then we can do a on-the-go website updating on the trip n stuffs..
Then the tagline is 'Crossing pacific ocean on foot'.. hahahhaha

Thats a splendid idea...or handphone companies or mobile services providers to prove that their handphones or mobile services can be connected anywhere in the world...

I was just thinking...for your route...if u have minimal stops...and most of the tiem you are on the road, tains or buses or cars...then 4 to 6 months can cover liao? And dont need that much money? Although that might defeat the the purpose as you would proably haev to stay like 2 to 4 days at a ceratin location to shoot the landscapes or culture and architecture there.....so these are also things you have to consider.

If you are really serious about doing this and willing to forego your job or take no pay leave for long periods of time to do this...I suggest we CSers help u to come up with points to put in your proposal. If you have a really decent proposal (anytime more than a 20 page report) and presentation of the places etc, I think many companies might be interested.

Why dont we start with a list of points to include and anyone can add on to the list:

1. Detailed description of the route to take (nice map and route drawn)
2. List the countries you are gonna cover with brief description of each country.
3. List the cities or towns you will pass through with detailed description especially of the more off beaten track places.(Remember to include some pictures)
4. Transport you will take through the route. Dunno if it will be good to list out the different possible transport alternatives(cheap ones) from one place to the other. Include things like projected travelling time for each mode of transport from one place to the other, costs etc.
5. How many days u gonna spend at each place? Justify it
6. What you gonna shoot at each place? Justify it
7. Other activities you might wanna include during the adventure
8. Why the company should sponsor you.
9. Prove to show that you are capable of handling the trip.

Of cos after the list gets longer you can try to organise it better and break them up into different sections and aspects. Hope you make it.

Just one thing to add. Although your route looks attractive but stopping in the middle of the States gives a 'there but not there yet kind of feeling'you know what i mean. Now if you can extend it and go down from the States all the way to South America till the southern most tip of South America (theres this town there...which I saw on a travel documentary where it always experience lots of typhoons etc cos of the different wind masses, one coming from the Atlantic side and the other from the African side and they are all pushed to meet at the TIP, which is the southern most point)...then it would be even more special. Hmmm...think the other more well travelled CSers can give you more input...

Status
Not open for further replies.