possible to DIY tilt & shift lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

denniskee

Oct 26, 2003
bukit batok
Visit site
Hi guys, another DIY project

For those who are very into canon stuff will know that you will need a "FD to EOS" adaptor (it has a glass element) if a FD lens(ie canon's manual lens) on a EOS body (which uses a EF / EFS lens, ie AF). Else, the FD lens will lose the ability to focus @ infinity.

So, if i mount a FD lens to a FD compatible bellow (remove the rail), than bellow to "FD to EOS" adaptor, than to EOS camera body, will I get a tilt shift lens?

technically it is possible
but the image circle of the lens must be bigger than for 35mm. therefore the lens must be either a 35mm tilt/shift lens or a lens from MF or LF

this fellow modified an old nikkor tilt/shift lens so that it can to more extreme angles.
http://www.naturfotograf.com/28pc.html

Thats not what I meant.

What I am proposing is to turn any FD lens (if you can modify the mount from bellow to lens to M42, than better still, more choice of lens) into a Tilt & Shift lens.

Why I find this possible & not a waste of time is that the "FD to EOS" adaptor has a glass element that can correct the focusing distant of the lens with bellow mounted in-between.

u need a lens of image circle larger than for 35mm to use as a tilt/shift lens

You can get all the 'tilt' n 'shift' effects U want in PS (minus the added DOF)! ;)

how about something like this

I might be wrong, but I think he is trying to ask if he can make a T/S adapter like this :

http://www.ebay.com.sg/viItem?ItemId=3877984547

But more towards directly to 35mm lens instead of a Medium format mounting onto a 35mm body.

Generally, a Medium format lens can be converted directly due to long flange base distance.

denniskee said:
Hi guys, another DIY project

For those who are very into canon stuff will know that you will need a "FD to EOS" adaptor (it has a glass element) if a FD lens(ie canon's manual lens) on a EOS body (which uses a EF / EFS lens, ie AF). Else, the FD lens will lose the ability to focus @ infinity.

So, if i mount a FD lens to a FD compatible bellow (remove the rail), than bellow to "FD to EOS" adaptor, than to EOS camera body, will I get a tilt shift lens?

You will still need to add a teleconvertor in between the lens and the bellow for flange base distance difference.

i dont think it was a joke, but i do remember something about dropping a lens, only to bend at the barrel, but the user didn't know it would have been a T/S.

of course, dropping the lens ON PURPOSE is another thing altogether... :sweat:

I think the canon FD-EOS adapter works by moving the glass element inside the adapter for focusing purposes. There is offcourse a limit as to how much you can focus with it. This may give you problems if you use any FD or other mount lens via a tilt/**** adapter PLUS the FD-EOS adapter. Due to the extra thickness of the tilt/**** adapter that FD-EOS adapter may reach its limit, but the only way to find out is to try it out with some FD extension tubes to check what the maximum thickness it can still work with to focus for infinity.

Typically for close ups to acro the image circles of lenses increases, and also by stopping down.....longlenses (not tele designs) also have bigger image circles....

Good luck!

HS

james m said:
how about something like this

yup, thats what I had in mind. but suprisingly, with only enlarger lens, it can still focus infinity.

also, good news, i happen to have a broken piece on 50mm f1.8 mkll, which i am using it as a loup.

now for 2nd part, you guys know pin hole camera. so instead of enlarger lens, i attach a flat panel with a pin hole infront of the hollow tube (or body) of my broken lens, it should work right?

if a/m works (will keep you guys updated), than it will be possible to just :

1) drill a dia 45mm hole on the camera lens mounting cap.
2) attach a flixible hose (eg, washing mc drain hose) to the drilled cap.
3) make a pin hole on the lens rear cap.
4) attach the rear cap to the other end of the flexible hose.

ok, the hose may not be the best of example, but you get the point...... dont you?? ha ha ha

anybody own a fd-eos adaptor, can i borrow pls?

ok, it a long shot, but hey, at least its still a hope. ha ha ha

Status
Not open for further replies.