Possible lens that can take shots with blurred backgrounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny888

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
hi there,

i'm a total newbie, but i'm always very keen in this area, like photos with blurred background, potraits etc.... of coz i'm NOT going to buy any lens now, definitely not lol! but as i'm always very curious as to how this is being done, can i ask u guys how much does such a lens cost? is it very expensive? any so called cheaper range one that can do the job? just wanna get a "feel" of how expensive this kinna lens cost.

tks so much in advance for reply to my enquiry!

EVERY LENS can do this. EVERY ONE. With some large-aperture lenses it's easier, but you can achieve this effect with any lens.

Just google "how to shoot pictures with a blurred background".

Hello, kenny888.
Rashkae bro absolutely nailed it right on the head when he said every lens.
About 2 mintues ago, I met you at the Canon B&S section looking at Canon lenses - and I must say the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 is a cheap and good lens that can give you the out of focussed look.
It's only $100+.
Of course before you even buy it, why don't you do that Google search that has been suggested to you?

Yes, the 50mm is a cheap and good quality lens for that out-of-focus background shot. The limitation is that it is of fixed focal length. Otherwise, get a third-party f2.8 lens if you are on a budget.

Yes, the 50mm is a cheap and good quality lens for that out-of-focus background shot. The limitation is that it is of fixed focal length. Otherwise, get a third-party f2.8 lens if you are on a budget.

If he's totally on a budget, he shouldn't buy any lens, and just learn to use his current equipment. :angel:

If he's totally on a budget, he shouldn't buy any lens, and just learn to use his current equipment. :angel:
who knows, maybe he have budget for f/1 lens.

in order to get the background blur
you need to do these things

1. increase the distance of the subject from the background
2. decrease the distance of the camera to the subject
3. increase the aperture (smaller f number)
4. increase focal length

now you need to read up on bokeh (the quality of the blur)

Last edited:
now you need to read up on ......the quality of the blur

I believe we have witnessed the birth of a new catch phrase ...... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I believe we have witnessed the birth of a new catch phrase ...... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Naaah... It's true wat... That's what bokeh is.

hi there,

i'm a total newbie, but i'm always very keen in this area, like photos with blurred background, potraits etc.... of coz i'm NOT going to buy any lens now, definitely not lol! but as i'm always very curious as to how this is being done, can i ask u guys how much does such a lens cost? is it very expensive? any so called cheaper range one that can do the job? just wanna get a "feel" of how expensive this kinna lens cost.

this thing very simple simple,
if you want answer fast fast
all you need is just google google

yes, don't need to buy new lens,
all you need is to find small small model,
put them far far away from background,
shoot very close close,
aperture open big big,
now the background sure very blur blur...

hi there,

1) longer focal length = more blur

2) wider aperture = more blur

3) background far far away from subject relative to camera = more blur

easiest and cheapest way to get blur background is to use kit lens, go one big big grass patch, punggol got many, make sure you face the way where got no hdb blocks, go to 55mm, open up aperture, focus.

tada, blur.

50mm f/1.8 is relatively cheap way to get the blur easier. but do you need it to get the blur? no, definitely not. it will just make it easier, though. :)

yes, don't need to buy new lens,
all you need is to find small small model,
put them far far away from background,
shoot very close close,
aperture open big big,
now the background sure very blur blur...

oh yar, this way even faster, but hard to find small small model.

you talking about TOY, or those living , breathing XMM

1) longer focal length = more blur

2) wider aperture = more blur

3) background far far away from subject relative to camera = more blur

easiest and cheapest way to get blur background is to use kit lens, go one big big grass patch, punggol got many, make sure you face the way where got no hdb blocks, go to 55mm, open up aperture, focus.

tada, blur.

50mm f/1.8 is relatively cheap way to get the blur easier. but do you need it to get the blur? no, definitely not. it will just make it easier, though. :)

yeah i forgot about the focal length

take a look at this tutorial and you will be able to do blur background with the kit lens.

[youtubehd]aAxJRF73vwc[/youtubehd]

In summary, set the camera to Aperture Priority mode, Av. Set it to the widest aperture, f5.6 or wider if your lens can go. Put it at full zoom 55mm and try to take a photo of a person half body. You should be able to get slight blur background. If possible, make sure your background is very far from your subject.

oh yar, this way even faster, but hard to find small small model.

you talking about TOY, or those living , breathing XMM
see which one is important lor.....

if background is very important, than shoot dolls lor,

if want living, breathing XMM, can always ask them to squat down for photos taking...

Status
Not open for further replies.