Possible for FZ5 to take macros shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vstrom

May 21, 2005
Serangoon North
www.gwen.per.sg
Newbie here,

I saw the macros shots in this forum and it is so beautiful. I only have the FZ5 and I wondered if it is possible to macros shots like those. Or I need macro lens with better cameras to do it? Thanks.

Any FZ5 owners done it before?

Mel

I don't feel any problem there for FZ5 to take macro shot..

get Hoya +1,+2 & +4 Close up filter.. then u able u take a good shot!

There's a thread discussing about the nikon 6T and the Raynox DCR 250
http://forum.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=132790&page=1&pp=20

actually FZ5 can take very capable macro shots already..
These are taken with the FZ5, hand held, no flash, no touchup. some cropping.
#1 1 drago
1.jpg

#2 same drago
2.jpg

#3 the hopper
3.jpg

Guys, what actually does the close up filters do? And what does +1 +2 +4 means? How do I fix on the filters on the FZ5? Do I need to get adapters? Or I can use the adapters for the lens hood?

Unseen, great shots u have there. That's what I aim for too. Did you use any close up filters too? What's the settings(shutter speed, aperture, macro mode?) to get a good focus while still maintaining a distance from the insects? I always get camerashake while I use the tele macro mode.

Thanks for your patiences.. extreme newbie here.

hmmm important is i shoot in full 5 MP (so i can crop away stuff that i don't need)
I never used any filters, coz I found that the focusing distance for FZ5 is v good. The photos above all i use macro mode, 12X zoom (into the special tele macro mode) and
it's pretty automatic from there. don't think you can get into macromode when using manual/aperture/shutter mode.

heh me, i've learnt from one of the PLUG outings, to get the blurred background (bokeh) then should zoom out then take at small aperture value (2.8, 3.3 etc).

hmmmm i suppose the key note is to keep the 1 min meter distance when using tele macro.. sometimes FZ5 may get wrong focus, so better to use spot focus. well that 1m min distance is enough to use flash..

so for me at tele macro if camera speed is less than 1/15 or 1/20 (that value depends on yourself, test to see your "stable" limit..) i'll use flash. Flash defaults to 1/60s shutter. now wondering if i should get a slave flash..

I've tried +3 Close up in shops (the number means their "power". the higher, the more powerful) but it doesn't seem to help alot. heh i'm thinking of getting/borrowing a Nikon 6T or Raynox DCR-250 to try try.. I've seen scann69's 6T in use, and i was amazed..

Thanks Unseen for your tips..

If I use flash, would it have reflection on the subject?

I ordered the Hoya +4 lens at MS color for $18.. will try it out this weekend.

Btw.. where to find insects here? I only can find cockroach and housefly here. :)

Erm... Since FZ-5 got no manual focus... so it is a bit hard to do macro... cos when u try to zoom to do macro... the camera usually cannot do AF...

Depending on your definition of Macro.

If you are really into extreme close up, then FZ5 may have its constraint.

However, if you are taking "macro" with the limited distance, and crop away, then that is possible.

Macro shots require bounce flash, that will bring out all the details. Since FZ5 does not have hot shoe, you may need to invest into L-bracket and slave flash in order to be a hardcore Macro fan.

Hong Jia said:
Erm... Since FZ-5 got no manual focus... so it is a bit hard to do macro... cos when u try to zoom to do macro... the camera usually cannot do AF...
:) this one mah.... you'll be surprised...
I'll agree wif JD about extreme close ups... but if the pocket is willing, you can always get all the added on lens + thread conterters..
I've always wondered how i'm to get enuff $$ to get a set up to take compound eyes..

hmmm a bit off point, FZ20 min focus distance at tele is 2m, where the FZ5 is 1 m only... for FZ20 Nikon 6T WD is at 29cm, Raynox DCR-250 @11cm
so does the working range of Nikon 6T or Raynox DCR-250 drop if used together wif FZ5?

If you are new to macro photography, I would suggest you begin with just playing with your macro mode. With my FZ10 and zooming up to 3X, AF can still focus abt 5 cm from the target. As I zoom more, the min focusing distance get longer.
For shots of the whole body of an insect longer than 1 inch e.g. dragonflies, you will not need macro or close-up lens.
Just 2 examples of hand-held shots (cropped slightly) using AF without flash and without macro/closeup lens:

dragonfly2.jpg

insect.jpg

Btw, can anyone id this insect, pls?

AncientMariner said:
If you are new to macro photography, I would suggest you begin with just playing with your macro mode. With my FZ10 and zooming up to 3X, AF can still focus abt 5 cm from the target. As I zoom more, the min focusing distance get longer.
For shots of the whole body of an insect longer than 1 inch e.g. dragonflies, you will not need macro or close-up lens.
Just 2 examples of hand-held shots (cropped slightly) using AF without flash and without macro/closeup lens:

dragonfly2.jpg

insect.jpg

Hey, nice shots... Sharp and clear...

AncientMariner said:

dragonfly2.jpg

insect.jpg

very nice shots!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
if give me first time see, thought is dslr take wan... :sweatsm:
excellent!

unseen said:
so does the working range of Nikon 6T or Raynox DCR-250 drop if used together wif FZ5?

Using closeup filter , focusing distance does not depend on the camera. The closeup filter will determine the focusing distance.

Nikon 6T = +2.9
Raynox DCR-250 = +10
Total diopter = +12.9

*focusing distance = 1m / 12.9 = 0.078m

*it is the distance from the camera CCD to the object and not lens tip to the object.

unseen said:
hmmm important is i shoot in full 5 MP (so i can crop away stuff that i don't need)
I never used any filters, coz I found that the focusing distance for FZ5 is v good. The photos above all i use macro mode, 12X zoom (into the special tele macro mode) and
it's pretty automatic from there. don't think you can get into macromode when using manual/aperture/shutter mode.

heh me, i've learnt from one of the PLUG outings, to get the blurred background (bokeh) then should zoom out then take at small aperture value (2.8, 3.3 etc).

hmmmm i suppose the key note is to keep the 1 min meter distance when using tele macro.. sometimes FZ5 may get wrong focus, so better to use spot focus. well that 1m min distance is enough to use flash..

so for me at tele macro if camera speed is less than 1/15 or 1/20 (that value depends on yourself, test to see your "stable" limit..) i'll use flash. Flash defaults to 1/60s shutter. now wondering if i should get a slave flash..

I've tried +3 Close up in shops (the number means their "power". the higher, the more powerful) but it doesn't seem to help alot. heh i'm thinking of getting/borrowing a Nikon 6T or Raynox DCR-250 to try try.. I've seen scann69's 6T in use, and i was amazed..

hello how's the design for the bracket and stuffs?
I'm very free this week to next...after that no time to "project" liao.

Just got the Hoya +4 closeup filters.

Some questions, when doing close up with the +4 filter, should I still use the macro mode or should I use some other mode like A, S, P or M?

Should I still use the zoom normally or should I extend it to tele and than walk to the distance where I can focus on the subject?

I discovered that when using the filter, only the center is focus, where the rest is always blur, is that correct?

Also I find it hard to get good focus, just by moving my hand by a few mm will affect the autofocus. And after trying to aim for few minutes, my hand starts to shake.. even worse now.

Any advises? Thanks.

Vstrom said:
Also I find it hard to get good focus, just by moving my hand by a few mm will affect the autofocus. And after trying to aim for few minutes, my hand starts to shake.. even worse now.

Any advises? Thanks.

use a tripod...or if you prefer, a monopod...
alternatively, hi shutter speeds helps...but that would have to use external flash..

Vstrom said:
Just got the Hoya +4 closeup filters.

Some questions, when doing close up with the +4 filter, should I still use the macro mode or should I use some other mode like A, S, P or M?

Should I still use the zoom normally or should I extend it to tele and than walk to the distance where I can focus on the subject?

I discovered that when using the filter, only the center is focus, where the rest is always blur, is that correct?

Any advises? Thanks.

For close up filters, any mode is fine, but I prefer to use M mode and manual focus. M as I have more control over the A and S.

Zoom: you can use the zoom manualy but that would affect the focus distance only. Usually choose the zoom first than move to and fro until you find the focus spot.

For the CU filter, the one you are using I think is the single element type which would exhibit what you described. Double element CU lens would have better optics.

Try not to use AF.....MF is easier.

Just my 2c....

Status
Not open for further replies.