possibility of making digital photos 3:2 with borders in PS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castlesinthesky

Aug 11, 2003
Earth,Heaven and Beyond
As above...sorry if it sounds dumb. i was wondering if i added my own borders using PS...would it still be possible to restrict the picture to 3:2?

each time i change a dimension of the picture...the other factor changes arbitarily...so i was wondering if there was a way to work around it.

Thanks!

i don't quite get ur question.

ok.. say u ahve a photo opened, and it's already in 3:2 format. and u wanna add more space around the edges of the photograph so u can add ur border.

you have to go to image ---> canvas size, and type in the same percentage for both the height and width (select the percent option from the drop down menu). make sure that ur image isn't flattened (there will be a padlock and the layer name will be in italics, to unflatten it, double click on the layer and rename it, i usually hit enter and use the default name) when u do this otherwise the extra area created around the photo will be filled with the background colour, and be merged with your image on the same layer. doing this will resize with the same ratio.

alternatively, you could specify your own size. say u have an image at 1800x1200. and u want a white border that is 20 pixels all the way around. but if u add 20 pixels to each side (ie, 1840 x 1240) the image will NOT be 3:2 anymore. u will have to crop ur image accordingly. so to end up with 1800x1200 with a 20 pixel border, u need an image that is 1760x1160. i think u already know how to get an image exactly that size rite?

after u get that size, u can go ahead and make the canvas at 1800x1200 anchor in the centre, there will be a border around the edge of the photo at 20 pixels all round.

kaoz.. i dunno if i've confused u further. i must really suck at explaining. showing u is best! hahah can show u in 2 mins. :think: :what:

jOhO said:
i don't quite get ur question.

ok.. say u ahve a photo opened, and it's already in 3:2 format. and u wanna add more space around the edges of the photograph so u can add ur border.

you have to go to image ---> canvas size, and type in the same percentage for both the height and width (select the percent option from the drop down menu). make sure that ur image isn't flattened (there will be a padlock and the layer name will be in italics, to unflatten it, double click on the layer and rename it, i usually hit enter and use the default name) when u do this otherwise the extra area created around the photo will be filled with the background colour, and be merged with your image on the same layer. doing this will resize with the same ratio.

alternatively, you could specify your own size. say u have an image at 1800x1200. and u want a white border that is 20 pixels all the way around. but if u add 20 pixels to each side (ie, 1840 x 1240) the image will NOT be 3:2 anymore. u will have to crop ur image accordingly. so to end up with 1800x1200 with a 20 pixel border, u need an image that is 1760x1160. i think u already know how to get an image exactly that size rite?

after u get that size, u can go ahead and make the canvas at 1800x1200 anchor in the centre, there will be a border around the edge of the photo at 20 pixels all round.

kaoz.. i dunno if i've confused u further. i must really suck at explaining. showing u is best! hahah can show u in 2 mins. :think: :what:

joho...tt's what i was trying to get answered....because if i wanted to send it to the shops for processing...i wouldn't want them to remove my borders....hence the possibility or technique on how to preserve photos in 3:2 ratio WITH borders....

thanks for answering it for me..i'll attempt to try it out

Hi,

Perhaps u can try this :)

1) Open yr pic (already in 3:2) in PS
2) Create a new layer
3) "Select all" and stroke to create yr border
4) "Transform" the layer with pic (so tat )
5) Flatten image

This way, u don't hv to meddle with image/canvas size.

Status
Not open for further replies.