Positive Singapore case marks return of SARS

Not open for further replies.
09/09/2003 09:31:34

Positive Singapore case marks return of SARS

Authorities in Singapore have confirmed that a second lab result for a man who initially tested positive for the SARS virus is also positive.

The case marks the return of severe acute respiratory syndrome, which first emerged last November in China and killed more than 900 people before WHO declared in June that the disease was “stopped dead in its tracks”.


Tuesday September 9, 4:48 PM

Singapore confirms SARS case

Singapore health authorities confirmed that a local patient had contracted SARS but said they believed it was a single isolated case.

The patient is a 27-year-old ethnic Chinese Singaporean post-graduate student who had been working on the West Nile virus at a microbiology laboratory in the National University of Singapore, a health ministry statement said.

His name was not immediately released.

The patient had no history of travel to areas previously affected by Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).

"It appears to be a single isolated case," the ministry said.


First created :
09 September 2003 1712 hrs (SST) 0912 hrs (GMT)
Last modified :
09 September 2003 1712 hrs (SST) 0912 hrs (GMT)

First SARS case in Singapore since May 31

The Health Ministry on Tuesday confirmed that a Singaporean man had contracted SARS.

It is the first SARS case in Singapore since the World Health Organisation declared the country SARS-free on May 31 and globally on July 5.

The 27-year-old patient tested positive for the virus twice.

He is a post-doctoral student, who was doing research on the West Nile virus.

It is still not clear how he contracted SARS.

The Health Ministry said the patient first showed symptoms of fever on August 26 midnight, and he went to consult his General Practitioner the next day.

On August 29, he went to the A&E at the Singapore General Hospital and was diagnosed with viral fever.

When his condition did not get better, he sought medical treatment with a Chinese physician on September 1.

He went back to the A&E at SGH two days later where he was warded.

Acting Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan said the risk to public health was low because the case was detected early and isolated.

Contact tracing has been conducted and the patient's contacts have been tracked down and they are all well.

But as a precaution, 25 of the patients's contacts have been served with Home Quarantine Orders.

SGH, where the case surfaced, has been put on Orange Alert, and some restrictions have been put in place.


Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom