position of camera in the bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

flying

Aug 22, 2005
Hey guys, this question might sound stupid...

but what's the correct position to place the camera (with lens attached) in a camera bag?

Is it lens in first and body on top? Or the other way round? Or place lens and body horizontally?

Or does it matter at all?

it sometimes depends on your bag's configuration....normally, it is lens in first, body at the top.

I put my camera in the horizontal position. (using Lowepro Nova 4) But if telephoto lens is used, then I will have to remove them first before placing it into the bag.

Hence, I might think the 'lens in first and body on top' method is more user friendly.

its lense 1st body on top or horizon 4 me depending on load configuration. either way i make sure my right hand grabs d cam grip 1st. so if i need 2 respond in double quick time my fingers r already setting my usual shooting mode (M mode) on d mode dial from 'Off'. wen cam up 2 my eye level my left hand den comes in 2 rotate d lense, either zooming in or out of frame. hehee...:bsmilie:

For me it doesnt matter, as long as it is easy and fast to get it out....

franky said:
For me it doesnt matter, as long as it is easy and fast to get it out....

ttz wad i meant, i must b getting ol'. talk so long-winded. hahaa...:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

As long as the padding in the bag is good and thick + quick accessibility to get cam out.

i put my camera facing downward. Will this spoil the mirror mechanism if leaving it at this position too long or damage it will running or walking.

Me using lowepro ex160.

errr how does positioning the camera downwards spoil the mirror mechanism? :rolleyes:

Using:
Stealth Reporter 650 AW - lens in before body
Rover AW II - Body and lens detached
Mini Trekker - Whole camera into central compartment, lens and body forming a "T" shape while bag is carried
Stealth Reporter 300 AW - Lens and body detached

The mirror of the camera will go up when u shot right.

If the camera is placed pointing downward inside the bag, the mirror will have a chance to go up if i jump and run, making the mechanism holding it loose/spoil. Can u picture what i mean??

Hope that this will not happen.

From a newib user.

fatjp said:

If the camera is placed pointing downward inside the bag, the mirror will have a chance to go up if i jump and run, making the mechanism holding it loose/spoil. Can u picture what i mean??

From a newib user.

You mean the lens-first-body-last method?

fatjp said:

From a newib user.

I believe the mirror should be quite solidly locked in place, I doubt it'll be damaged as long as your bag has sufficient cushioning.

ergonomics........choose the right bag

as long as u feel comfortable and ease in keeping it....removing the cam..... all is fine...

cheers..

Most camera bags have solid internal padding and dividers which would "force" you to place it lens in first anyway. It makes sense. When you want to grap your camera out for a quick shot, your camera isnt gonna like it if you have to grap the lens and pull the body out! :D

Oh,

Speaking of which-in-first, why do people place their cameras (say on the table) lens touching the surface, forming a T shape? Does it make any difference to the camera if i put it camera base touching the surface instead?

Thanks.

LordAeRo said:
Speaking of which-in-first, why do people place their cameras (say on the table) lens touching the surface, forming a T shape? Does it make any difference to the camera if i put it camera base touching the surface instead?

LordAeRo,

Thanks for bringing this matter up. I will also would want to know why others position their cameras this way (forming a T as mentioned by LordAeRo). Or is it that the lens is too heavy?

I would think that the other way round is better for stability.

When I was using the temron 200 - 400 lens, I placed it in the lens in first config because that was the only way it could enter the bag. Then the bag slipped off my shoulder and landed on the floor. On removing the cam, I was horrified to see glass shards at the bottom of the bag. Thankfully it was only the broken lens filter! Also the lens cap got a big dent at the front.
I guess if I had the cam in the horizontal position, I might not have lost the filter. Then again the camera would have taken a lot more of the force!!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.