Posing Large Subjects

Status
Not open for further replies.

jk30D

Oct 21, 2007
Hi all,

I don't intend to make anyone in this forum annoyed by using "large" in my title but just couldn't get any other right word to use to start off this subject. :sweat:

Was wondering if anyone in this forum could advise on the possible ways to pose a subject to make them look slimmer? I've searched around in the web and was able to compile the following:

1) Shoot from higher angle (Able to avoid Double chin)
2) Shoot from about 45 degrees from subject's side
3) Use props to block off certain part of the body
4) If its a couple, use the slimmer other half to block off part of the other larger subject
5) Get subject to wear Black (Dark Colors)

Any Expert comments to add on to this? I'm particularly concern on the Biceps of Brides which typically will not be covered by their Gowns. How can their Biceps be "slimmed" down WITHOUT using Photoshop during Post processing? :dunno:

Hi all,

I don't intend to make anyone in this forum annoyed by using "large" in my title but just couldn't get any other right word to use to start off this subject. :sweat:

:dunno:

Plus size.

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone in this forum could advise on the possible ways to pose a subject to make them look slimmer? I've searched around in the web and was able to compile the following:

1) Shoot from higher angle (Able to avoid Double chin)
2) Shoot from about 45 degrees from subject's side
3) Use props to block off certain part of the body
4) If its a couple, use the slimmer other half to block off part of the other larger subject
5) Get subject to wear Black (Dark Colors)

Any Expert comments to add on to this? I'm particularly concern on the Biceps of Brides which typically will not be covered by their Gowns. How can their Biceps be "slimmed" down WITHOUT using Photoshop during Post processing? :dunno:
you have already have most of the answers to handle plus size subjects..

as for the biceps and triceps of the plus size brides, they should wear gown with sleeve, if there choose to wear sleeveless, that's their problems, they have accept what they will look like on photos..

of course can be DI-ed, but will have extra cost, it will be cheaper just to get the right gown more suitable for them.

hey there,

heres my suggestion. works for me ;)

* to create "slim" arms, keep elbows about 2.5cm away from body.
(this is not let the fats around bicep area to jerk out)

* get her to pose or angle in such a way the arms are not close to body.

* dun jut out jaw, tilt chin slightly down and make sure no sloughing.
watch your posture, stand tall and relax shoulders

* try not to take angles of facing straight to the cam, have some different angle by titling the face to the side.

cheers

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. Anyone has any previous works on "plus" size subjects that can share with me or does anyone have any links to similiar topics to share in the website?

For pose shots, all these tips works to a certain extend. But if you are shooting photojournalistic style for the actual day, it's kinda had to follow all the rules. Hence, some photoshop magic is always needed.

Hi Melvin (m3lv1nh0),

Clever use of lighting to "Slim" down the bride's bicep in one of your works. But I guess the trade off will be an overexposed photo. I guess we can't have the best of both worlds other then doing Photoshop touchups. Hahaha.... By the way, with your experience, have you met with situations where a heavy subject get back to you asking why their hands, cheeks, etc look big in the photos?

if you have the ability to control lighting

stronger shadows will give the subject a slimmer look . also help to hide the flaws.

Hi Melvin (m3lv1nh0),

Clever use of lighting to "Slim" down the bride's bicep in one of your works. But I guess the trade off will be an overexposed photo. I guess we can't have the best of both worlds other then doing Photoshop touchups. Hahaha.... By the way, with your experience, have you met with situations where a heavy subject get back to you asking why their hands, cheeks, etc look big in the photos?

Yup.. even after all the digital nick and tuck, there is still spilled flesh due to the fact that the bride chose to wear a gown that is 1 size too small. I told her that I can only make it less obvious but not possible to remove it totally without looking unnatural. I also make it a point to make the couples understand that I am gonna make them look as good as possible in a natural way but not gonna edit them to become supermodels.

yeah that should be way man.

being a "plus size" i think the bride herself will understand.
should accept the fact and not living in denial. photography can help to enhance her beauty in certain way but not miracle.

"there are 3 billion women out there who don't look like supermodels, only 8 who do"
anita roddick

Hahaha... Thanks guys and gals for sharing your experiences on this topic. As least it sets my thinking right. All other comments are welcome on this subject. ;) Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.