Posed street pic - need a critical comment on this

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed9119

Staff member
Mar 11, 2002
Singapore
www.walkeast.com
Picture shows a young man in Jakarta during the week of the great floods a month back. I've not done anything so posed before and would like to get some feedback if subject should be depicted as being very aware of a camera's presence and obviously happy that someone is taking his pic. Didnt get any comments at offstone so thought of trying you guys out here.

Trash it if you need to but tell me why. Thanks fellas...

Canonet GIII QL17
Ilford XP2 Super

:dunno:

ed

StreetShooter

Jan 17, 2002
Katong
streetshooter.clubsnap.org
I think there's nothing wrong with taking portraits of people "in their environment". Street photography does not always have to be candid.

Take this picture, for instance. I think it's a lot more engaging than taking a candid picture of this guy looking into space:

Sometimes it's a bit of a disadvantage to get your subject to pose. This guy has actually got a very pleasant, crinkly smile, but when I asked him if I could take a picture, he put on his straightest, most solemn face:

Sometimes, establishing eye contact with your subject can make your heart flutter a bit:

But, yes, I do hate those subjects who insist on giving you the "V" sign or the thumbs-up:

binbeto

Jan 18, 2002
Behind a lens
www.pbase.com
Originally posted by StreetShooter

But, yes, I do hate those subjects who insist on giving you the "V" sign or the thumbs-up:
This brought out a smile from me.. Haa haa..

Guess it is human nature to wanna "pose" for a picture...

Status
Not open for further replies.