Portraiture Techniques

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benji77

Feb 18, 2006
www.benji77.multiply.com - http
Hi guys,
I am new to photography and would like to give portraiture a try. I have some questions that I will divide into 2 categories.

Skills
1) Wat are the general do's and dont's of a shoot? Are you allowed for example to help the model to brush off her/his hair on shoulders, arms, face etc?

2) How often during a 2hr shoot do you take a break?

3) Is there a photographer's code that you guys follow? For eg, during a shoot of 6 photograhers to 1 model, how do you guys co-ordinate who the model looks at? Like for eg, you shoot first then my turn that sort of thing....

4) How do you generally tell your model to pose? What if you would like them to pose a sensual, seductive or angry look? Are there boundaries that I must watch?

5) Do models expect a copy of all the photos that you make? Is there another code on this? This is assuming they are pro or non-pro models.

Techniques
6) Is a flash necessary even for outdoor shoots?

7) What is the best time for outdoor shoots? 8am - 1030am, 5pm - 7pm?

8) If I am using a Nikon FM2, would I be taking too long to adjust and fine tune my shot that the model will get 'tired'? for me its a few seconds, but that 2-10 seconds or so can be quite a pain for the model right?

9) What is the average distance that you guys stand away from the model? assuming i would be using a 105mm or a 50mm lens. (1m and 0.60m, closest focusing distance for each lens)

10) Are there special props that are needed for a basic shoot? (I dunno, just came to my mind here)

Thanks!

Hi guys,
I am new to photography and would like to give portraiture a try. I have some questions that I will divide into 2 categories.

Skills
1) Wat are the general do's and dont's of a shoot? Are you allowed for example to help the model to brush off her/his hair on shoulders, arms, face etc?

eh...unless u are a girl too...i suggest not touching her...juz point out to her wats wrong and get her or ya fwen or the makeup artist to settle ....

a 2 hour shoot...depends on where ya...if outdoors more breaks are necessarily right...juz see...buten after ard 30-40 mins u should be ready to touch up makeup if ya model tends to perspire easily

3) Is there a photographer's code that you guys follow? For eg, during a shoot of 6 photograhers to 1 model, how do you guys co-ordinate who the model looks at? Like for eg, you shoot first then my turn that sort of thing....

4) How do you generally tell your model to pose? What if you would like them to pose a sensual, seductive or angry look? Are there boundaries that I must watch?

u can talk to them wat...tell them wat u want...if u feel that they are uncomfortable ...then forget it lor...buten wat kind of look u should have settled even before the shoot wat.... then she will have an expectation...helps the model to come up wif more ideas before the shoot too...if she's not agreeable to certain aspects of the shoot...she is free to not take up the job ya...

5) Do models expect a copy of all the photos that you make? Is there another code on this? This is assuming they are pro or non-pro models.

eh...are u paying her?

Techniques

yes...flash can be used to fill in the shadows

depends right....but basically ya timings are ok coz the light wun be overhead...unless of coz overhead lighting is wat u want...

8) If I am using a Nikon FM2, would I be taking too long to adjust and fine tune my shot that the model will get 'tired'? for me its a few seconds, but that 2-10 seconds or so can be quite a pain for the model right?

yes she will get tired...anyone will hahaha...2 secs is still ok....10 is way long... for me at least

9) What is the average distance that you guys stand away from the model? assuming i would be using a 105mm or a 50mm lens. (1m and 0.60m, closest focusing distance for each lens)

85-105 for the perspective...how far....depends on wat u want right..face shot head shot half body shot...

10) Are there special props that are needed for a basic shoot? (I dunno, just came to my mind here)

eh...if outdoors try to get a reflector....

cheers

Benji77 said:
Hi guys,

Skills

Techniques

Thanks!

Under Skills - when dealing with a model, the simple rule is ask her about all these things before you start. Different models have different preferences and levels of comfort. Never touch her without making sure that she knows that it is going to happen and that she approves. Use your own body if you need to show a pose or posture whenever possible. If you have a specific and complicated pose in mind, try getting a similar sample from a magazine or off the net to show her. If you are shooting alone, remember that the model is human and will get bored unless you talk the her and give her constant feedback on how well she is doing.

Very good advices. :thumbsup:
Really learn sth here... :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.