Portraiture for newbies gathering

vernyew

Mar 4, 2014
Singapore
www.flickr.com
SUMMARY:

Agenda: A group of photogs interested in portraiture coming together to practice on and with each other.
When: Sunday, 30th March 2014 at 6:30pm
Where: Meet at Clarke Quay MRT
Preparation: If you are knowledgeable/experienced in this, let me know. For noobs, PLEASE DO SOME READING ETC BEFOREHAND as we are mostly noobs so nobody will teach you.

Hi all,

Just joined this community recently, and what a community it looks to be! So I thought I would contribute some thoughts of my own.

I am currently interested in learning more about portrait photography and to this end I have an idea on how I and anyone else who is also interested can learn together:

Let's meet up and make portraits of each other!

We will take turns photographing and modeling for each other, to learn how to work with an inexperienced model (I'm assuming we are inexperienced as models). We also get experience being on the other side of the lens so we can have a better idea of what that feels like too (and how the model perceives the directions from the photog). Also this way we don't have to pay for any models, although volunteer models are welcome :)

And most importantly, we can have fun too! We can do this at a location where there is easy access to good food/beer/etc. or bring some for the shoot and have a blast.

I'm thinking to keep it to a group size of 2-4. This would be just nice so that we don't have too many people, but still enough to have one photog, one model, and 1-2 assistants/critics at all times.

I'm not sure if this idea has been posted before, so please leave a comment/idea/suggestion below.

Please let me know if anyone is interested in this. I'm aiming to do this on 30th March (Sunday) at 6:30pm (EDIT: I changed the time, please take note)

EDIT:

OK so I originally thought of limiting this to 4 people but since there are more than 4 people interested, and this is the first time, let's take everyone and see what happens.

Do note that I am not guiding anyone or anything like that -- I'm a newbie to portrait photography too so I'm in no position to lead/guide/teach anyone about it.

So everyone is welcome to join as long as you don't expect much in terms of organization -- the whole idea is just to get like minded people together and learn by doing and from each others' feedback.

I'll be keeping track of all the people who will be coming. If you are late and we go off without you, well, give me a call at 9-triple-1-6282 and I'll try to direct you to wherever we are.

EDIT 2:

Adding some intended learning outcomes so we can be a little more structured:

1. Lighting fundamentals like soft vs hard light, common portrait lighting angles/setups, key vs fill vs back light, etc. (these are more for strobists)
2. If there is no access to strobes, then available light considerations such as shooting in the shade, using reflectors for fill, etc.
3. Basic poses which can work for most people, and how to get your model comfortable to get a good pose.
4. (if time permits) Difference between shooting at various angles
5. (if time permits) Difference between shooting wide angle lenses vs telephoto lenses.

Any experienced folks willing to volunteer your time to come and share some of your knowledge with us noobs? :)

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the enthusiasm! Sign me up for it and I may just be able to provide a little tips! Thanks :) you can reach me at 971-zero -6500

This sounds cool. Count me in. Or PM me if you want to chat more.

Thanks guys!

I'm thinking 4pm onwards (so we can have daytime and golden hour ambient to play with) on 30th March. Location-wise I was thinking of Clarke Quay / Fort Canning to have a good mix of urban and nature backdrops. It's also easily accessible :)

Let me know what you guys think!

EDIT: Changed to 6:30 pm.

Last edited:
Hi COunt me in as i am also intrested for Portrait photography,
Contact me 98225583

OK so I originally thought of limiting this to 4 people but since there are more than 4 people interested, and this is the first time, let's take everyone and see what happens.

Do note that I am not guiding anyone or anything like that -- I'm a newbie to portrait photography too so I'm in no position to lead/guide/teach anyone about it.

So everyone is welcome to join as long as you don't expect much in terms of organization -- the whole idea is just to get like minded people together and learn by doing and from each others' feedback.

I'll be keeping track of all the people who will be coming. If you are late and we go off without you, well, give me a call at 9-triple-1-6282 and I'll try to direct you to wherever we are.

Hi, I am keen if you don't mind someone who is not very experienced at photography yet. =)

this would be great. i just started on a 10 session fundamental course and also 3 day flash photography course..would be done by the end of the month so can get to practice. Add me in.James - 8119-5000.

That's great. So do i reply with my number here?

sounds like a great idea
if possible, would also like to join!

Haha, more and more people now. Can split to 2 groups if too big.

Hi all, please do share your mobile with me just so that we can coordinate with each other at the time. Either post here or PM me, up to you :)

@or1onz: Yeah I think we will definitely split into groups when the time comes... Haha

Hi, looks fun... Can I join in? But.... I'm camera shy... Can I just learn and shoot but skip the modeling part? :)

Would recommend you try to include some shooters who are experienced at shooting portraits. That will be the best way to learn.