Portraits/model shoot - flash? etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revad3

Aug 6, 2008
Just curious is flash necessary for indoor and outdoor shoot to get the sharpness, clarity and even skin tone u wanted?

any tips to take note on etc?

It did be kind of any to share.

Thanks & cheers.

Last edited:
Just curious is flash necessary for indoor and outdoor shoot to get the sharpness, clarity and even skin tone u wanted?

any tips to take note on etc?

It did be kind of any to share.

Thanks & cheers.

It depends on the amount of ambient light in the scene and what you are after. If you want a fashion photography style shoot, then yes, you'd need more lighting from the flash to give u more details and a higher shutter speed.

mostly yes (indoor and outdoor), unless you're shooting in a studio, you won't need your camera flash (external or built-in).

for indoor, learn how to bounce and diffuse as direct flash tends to be harsh

for outdoor, learn about fill-flash

and in general, learn about flash photography (catchlights, rim lights, butterfly, etc.)

Thanks for all the useful reply. i will take a good note of these.

No wonder my lastest shoot at the portraits section still don't have that sharpness/details i want, and when i change to jpg from raw it become fairly worst, still need to edit it abit before posting.

Anyway Thanks again.

Cheers

Last edited:
The first thing you need to work on the exposure, the lighting, focusing, camera holding technique etc. (not including concept, creativity, composition now)

you can get sharp and clear image straight out from jpg, raw can bring it out more fine details.

shooting raw is not the remedy for everything if you don't have it right when you click the shutter.

Highly enlightening, catchlight thanks. I know it's about the basics which im also working on right now.

I am also just curious for people into the field of portrait/model shots. What accessories etc will you need to have to get good pictures you wanted. Things that you must have or get when stepping into any shoots.

Beside the prime lens, Flash, diffuser like gary fong. What else do you need? let say something intermediate to get the right pictures. Bring strobes/lightings around is still not my level yet.
Things like polarizer is there a need?

Thanks in advance, cheers.
Really kind of you all to share and reply.

Last edited:
Highly enlightening, catchlight thanks. I know it's about the basics which im also working on right now.

I am also just curious for people into the field of portrait/model shots. What accessories etc will you need to have to get good pictures you wanted. Things that you must have or get when stepping into any shoots.

Beside the prime lens, Flash, diffuser like gary fong. What else do you need? let say something intermediate to get the right pictures. Bring strobes/lightings around is still not my level yet.
Things like polarizer is there a need?

Thanks in advance, cheers.
Really kind of you all to share and reply.

Actually with good planning and a basic idea of what you want to achieve, you dun need much accessories.

Possible additions include a reflector, external flash and it's accessories (colour gels, light modifiers, etc)

Most important, an eye for details and being able to react and plan accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.