portraits and poses

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny hoe

Jul 16, 2006
buangkok crescent
hi bro........:D
what are the lens to use 4 portraits and poses:dunno: :sweat:

Gnenerally the 70-200 mm range is good for head and shouder to face crop portaits. the 28-70 MM range is good for 1/2 body to environmental portraits... Keep in mind basics like lighitng/distracting backgorunds etc..

kenny hoe said:

If strictly for portriats, a standard lens such as 50mm or 85mm might work better.

However, any lens can be used to shoot portraits! =)

Regards,
tltan

kenny hoe said:

The ideal portraiture focal length for 35mm is 90mm.

But many do not adhere to this ideal.

There is no right or wrong focal length for Portraiture.

Depends where you are. Studio or outdoor?

Each focal length has their strong and weak point. Learn and use it wisely. If you have not bought any lens, then try with a standard lens (50mm). Once you are able to understand portraiture more, then only invest higher grade lenses such as 85mm f1.4, 105 f2DC, 70-200 f2.8 and so on.

Wide angle lenses are nice too but becareful on the distortion of your subject.

kenny hoe said:
Actually the correct question should be:
what are the lens NOT to use for portraits and poses .....? :think:
Probably the wide and super wide lens below 20mm, and lens above 300mm.
In between any lens are ok. The most favourable is the 85mm.

kenny hoe said:

As Pro Image mentioned, there is no right or wrong lens. A lot depends on the type of portraiture you are attempting to do.

A portrait can be just a headshot, in which case a "longish" lens in the range of 80-120 might be suitable. But very long lens also can produce distortions by compressing features.

A portrait can be a whole body shot in which case, especially limited by space where you are making the portraits, a wider angle lens will be more suitable, such as 35 mm.

A good compromise to start with will be what Pro Image had suggested - 50 mm lens, which will produce less distortion and allow you to take half body shots as well as full body shots.

If you look at the images by Willie03, most of his shots are taken with a wide angle lens. But this lens will not be suitable for tight faceshots, unless your intention is to make caricatures.

student said:
unless your intention is to make caricatures.
hahahaha ..................... :bsmilie: :sweatsm: :bsmilie: :sweatsm:
that's a good one!

This is an informative thread so far, kudos to all CSer bros for contributing their generous insights (with no OT or ridicule at the TS, which is getting rarer nowadays). :thumbsup:

I would like to ask a question of my own...this is also an age-old question and pretty subjective...I know of course almost any lens (generally) between 35mm and 300mm can be used for portraiture, and its also a personal preference kinda thing, but when it boils down to zooms or primes, which category of lens would you choose to put in your bag and why?

The reason I am asking is because a friend of mine who shoots portraiture (not pro, also a hobbyist) claims that primes are the only way to go for taking portraits...due to sharpness, better bokeh etc. Well of course lar but well nowadays zoom lenses give pretty good quality too, and offer more flexibility and speed in composing.

My personal preference at the moment is zooms... but I do use primes sometimes too, depending on situation.

TIA!

yo bro.. hmm... i stopped using zooms for portraits.. stick to primes these days cos of better quality.. but yur friend is not wrong also.. zooms.. are for convenience lor........
i have not used my 70-200 for a long time liao..

anyway.. to the TS..

i use 10mm to 135 mm for most portraits..
but i think for studio shots.. most might like to use 85mm..

Will03 said:
yo bro.. hmm... i stopped using zooms for portraits.. stick to primes these days cos of better quality.. but yur friend is not wrong also.. zooms.. are for convenience lor........
Thanks for your reply hehe...this friend ar...you know him also. ;p

Garion said:
Thanks for your reply hehe...this friend ar...you know him also. ;p
erm...................... D_ _ _ F_ _ _ _ ?

Garion said:
This is an informative thread so far, kudos to all CSer bros for contributing their generous insights (with no OT or ridicule at the TS, which is getting rarer nowadays). :thumbsup:

I would like to ask a question of my own...this is also an age-old question and pretty subjective...I know of course almost any lens (generally) between 35mm and 300mm can be used for portraiture, and its also a personal preference kinda thing, but when it boils down to zooms or primes, which category of lens would you choose to put in your bag and why?

The reason I am asking is because a friend of mine who shoots portraiture (not pro, also a hobbyist) claims that primes are the only way to go for taking portraits...due to sharpness, better bokeh etc. Well of course lar but well nowadays zoom lenses give pretty good quality too, and offer more flexibility and speed in composing.

My personal preference at the moment is zooms... but I do use primes sometimes too, depending on situation.

TIA!

Generally for portraits I would pick primes. Actually for almost everything I would prefer using a prime unless the situation really calls for a zoom. Relative to portraits,
1) For posed images, there's plenty of time to compose, so what's this about speed? Flexibility? You're going to be saving a couple of seconds at most. These seconds don't usually matter for posed portraits.

2) For candid portraiture such as streets, sometimes the decisive moment can be lost in a couple of seconds. For this reason alone a zoom may be the choice of some here. Personally, primes have rarely(I have trouble remembering when but I think never would be a bit presumptuous) caused me to miss a shot because of framing issues, so I stick to primes anyway.

Stoned said:
Generally for portraits I would pick primes. Actually for almost everything I would prefer using a prime unless the situation really calls for a zoom. Relative to portraits,
1) For posed images, there's plenty of time to compose, so what's this about speed? Flexibility? You're going to be saving a couple of seconds at most. These seconds don't usually matter for posed portraits.

2) For candid portraiture such as streets, sometimes the decisive moment can be lost in a couple of seconds. For this reason alone a zoom may be the choice of some here. Personally, primes have rarely(I have trouble remembering when but I think never would be a bit presumptuous) caused me to miss a shot because of framing issues, so I stick to primes anyway.
Thanks for the reply and insights. Actually let me rephrase my sentence a little...I had meant to say that having a zoom could in effect be more convenient than several primes as you would not need to switch to and fro between different lenses (unless of course you have two or more bodies). But yeah generally for posed portraits you can afford the luxury of having the time to compose and zoom with your feet. Candid portraiture is another thing altogether.

But yes on the whole primes do give better image quality than most zooms.

ps. noticed you sold your 85mm 1.8 recently, care to share why? Just wondering. Been thinking of getting this lens myself. :sweatsm:

Will03 said:
agree...

zooms are much lighter, that's the reason why i use them now too. as for quality, well, the amout of pp i do to my work, end up u also won't be able to tell wat lens i use lar.. so in a way i'm saying, quality of the lens doesn't really matter, both primes and zooms i use are sharp enough for me.

i compare two lenses - 85/1.4 and the 70-200/2.8. with the prime, i have a fixed length, but i have faster f stop and MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH lighter weight to carry around climing up and down trees and getting funny angles and what have you.

oh but in a studio, i only swear by one lens (for now).. ahhaha 18-70dx at f5.6 and above. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

tltan said:
If strictly for portriats, a standard lens such as 50mm or 85mm might work better.

However, any lens can be used to shoot portraits! =)

Regards,
tltan

Are you using a 1.6 crop DSLR??

Status
Not open for further replies.