Portraitprofessional

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a bit too much... Though it could be quite useful for newbies looking to impress "easy" customers.

oops.. i think i erased my lines long ago liao. now my lines all drawn by clients.

"you want to look like angelina jolie? no problem! the nets machine is this way..."

What is the line? Is there a line? Should there be a line?

nice software. But what about the body? If similar algorithm is applied to the body... sure come out something funny one.

i don't think the results are too drastic. in any case, we're already surrounded by plenty of highly retouched celebrity pics. check this out http://www.glennferon.com/portfolio1/ . Plastic, yes, but it's what the clients want and he makes a living out of it

If you have photoshop then it is better to stick with it rather than getting it. In photoshop, it takes roughly about 4 to 5 minutes to get the same result.

i don't think the results are too drastic. in any case, we're already surrounded by plenty of highly retouched celebrity pics. check this out http://www.glennferon.com/portfolio1/ . Plastic, yes, but it's what the clients want and he makes a living out of it
the current trend in fashion is for more believable looking skin...plastic is passe...:)

Man, this is where I draw the line... I think digital manipulation should not cross this line.

http://www.portraitprofessional.com/index.php

(Check out the gallery).

i think the lines to be drawn depends on the field of photography. Whenever an element of reportage is included, there are certain things that should not be manipulated. Likewise in terms of advertisement, there are certain things that can be or cannot be manipulated.

just for discussion purposes, no hard feelings.

for example, certain girls who do those friendster stuff like to shoot from the top with their eyes looking up and big. this is a common trick that enhances certain features and to make a person looks better. if you look at that person flat on, she may never look like that. likewise, there are some people who do not like excessive make up which makes the appearance decieving. hence lines are difficult to be drawn.

so i thought the question is what is the real physical impact? and that is what it matters, not on different values and opinions of different people. if the model wanted that, and the photographer enjoyed that, it should be fine. but if one is thinking of sending her manipulated photo hoping to get a job of modelling, she can't. becos in the end, she will not be able to be like what she is in the photo in order to work as one.

The line is quite easy to see actually. As long as you don't lie to yourself and your intended audience/client, you're well within the line, regardless of the amount of digital manipulation done or lack there of.

At one end of the spectrum, we have portrait/fashion/advertisement photography where pretty much anything goes, as long as the client agrees to the end result. And then we have reportage/sports photography, a genre where the intended audience, the public, wants to see what they could have witnessed with their own eyes had they been there.

For instance, if a PJ shooting an aftermath of a forest fire adds a few adjustment layers in PS to darken the half-burnt trees to give a high contrast charred effect, he/she is not capturing the scene as it would be seen if the public themselves were there, but as he/she wants to see it. Art vs reality, work ethic over personal desire, whatever you call it, it is an obligation that comes with the job to think straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.