portrait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malakite

Jul 3, 2004
Singapore
what would be a good system for doing just black and white portraits?

preferbly film based...

which brand or make of a camera and which lens to go with it?

I dunno anything actually but usually nice black and white photos seem to come from Leicas and other rangefinders? Regarding lenses uh.. that one i'm not familiar liao :dunno: Would be nice to hear from the black and white film experts here :)

Any camera with any lens.

There is no such thing as a portrait camera and a "portrait" lens. Any lens can be used to take portraits. The so-called "portraits" lenses are trypically from about 80-50mm, because with a close face shot, there is less distortion (all lenses have distortion-just what type, and how much?) You just have to learn to use the lens with its attendent limitations/strengths. In the old days studios tend to have those monstrous cameras on wheels which were dedicated to take portraits alone. But we are not talking about that here.

For me: I use

Point & shoot film cameras (heluva good!)
Canon film camera with lenses from 24 -200mm
Leica rangefinder/SLR with lenses from 35 - 180mm
645 camera with lenses from 45-210mm
And others which you won't want to know

Which camera and lens I chose depends on what images I am trying to make. There is always compromises to be made.

student said:
Any camera with any lens.

And others which you won't want to know

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: morning, student! heehee... i was rolling with laughter on my office chair when i was reading this.

malakite - actually, any 35mm cam will do. IMO (sorry, student), wat matters is the selection of lens, and in ur case, film. and these are dependent on where u are shooting. eg - when i'm shooting in a studio with my EOS30, i found myself using my tokina 28-70mm/f2.8 lens most of the time. outdoors, my 70-200/f4L is on my cam all the time. however, if i was using my 10D, indoors will be 50mm and outdoors will either be 28-70 or 70-200.

some books recommend primes for both indoors and outdoors. for canon, the usual recommended primes are like the 85mm, 135mm or 200mm. some (for fashion spread) even suggest the use of 300mm. so, end of day, its really ur preference. there's no one 'THE' lens.

nightwolf75 said:
:bsmilie: :bsmilie: morning, student! heehee... i was rolling with laughter on my office chair when i was reading this.

Wait till you fall off the chair, then I will have the last laugh! :devil:

Have a good day!!! :D

nightwolf75 said:

malakite - actually, any 35mm cam will do. IMO (sorry, student), wat matters is the selection of lens, and in ur case, film. and these are dependent on where u are shooting. eg - when i'm shooting in a studio with my EOS30, i found myself using my tokina 28-70mm/f2.8 lens most of the time. outdoors, my 70-200/f4L is on my cam all the time. however, if i was using my 10D, indoors will be 50mm and outdoors will either be 28-70 or 70-200.

some books recommend primes for both indoors and outdoors. for canon, the usual recommended primes are like the 85mm, 135mm or 200mm. some (for fashion spread) even suggest the use of 300mm. so, end of day, its really ur preference. there's no one 'THE' lens.

nw, why are different lenses used indoors as opposed to outdoors. unless it is physical limitation?

above all, the choice of lenses is dependent on the photograper's vision of what he wants to achieve. it is a tool of the trade.

A Leica M6 plus 75mm Summilux (f1.4), 90mm Summicron (f2) or 90mm Elmarit (f2.8).
The tone produce by these lens are :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: !

reachme2003 said:
nw, why are different lenses used indoors as opposed to outdoors. unless it is physical limitation?

above all, the choice of lens is dependent on the photograper's vision of what he wants to achieve. it is a tool of the trade.

yep! precisely. :) my own choice of lenses is dependent on how i usually frame my portraits. i usually prefer half, shoulder or head shots. thus, i prefer to zoom in tight. on the other hand, if, say, u looking for full body (which i haven't figure out how to do it decently :embrass: ), my lenses might give me a hard time unless i zoom with legs. like for astin. i notice his full body shots, which IMO are well framed, are all done using primes. (astin - izit still ur 50mm for outdoors?)

nightwolf75 said:
yep! precisely. :) my own choice of lenses is dependent on how i usually frame my portraits. i usually prefer half, shoulder or head shots. thus, i prefer to zoom in tight. on the other hand, if, say, u looking for full body (which i haven't figure out how to do it decently :embrass: ), my lenses might give me a hard time unless i zoom with legs. like for astin. i notice his full body shots, which IMO are well framed, are all done using primes. (astin - izit still ur 50mm for outdoors?)
Well, for my full body shots, its still 80% 85mm and 20% 50mm, u may be able to guess which one by looking at the perspective. (model vs background) When I use 85mm, I usually walk very far and need to shout to the model so she can hear what I say.

Astin said:
Well, for my full body shots, its still 80% 85mm and 20% 50mm, u may be able to guess which one by looking at the perspective. (model vs background) When I use 85mm, I usually walk very far and need to shout to the model so she can hear what I say.

nothing longer, austin.

reachme2003 said:
nothing longer, austin.
Well, I have a 180mm, shoot model once with it, not really use to it, got to stand almost 20 meters away and shout "eyes look here, right arm up, blah blah blah"
DSC_2684ps.jpg

i have 2 x 10D and usually use some Lousy lens which I can zoom from 24mm to 70mm

If i use my virgin eos 30 then i use my 85mm

There is no harsh and fast rules ... it is the photographer interpretation of the subject matter ... :)

Use whatever cam and whatever lens you have ..... :sweatsm:

get a MF cam with a good lens lo.... haha

else juz get an slr with a prime also can right....

choose a good film and most importantly jzu shoot lo....

juz my 2 cts ....

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.