portrait shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonicWater

Apr 17, 2004
Nee Soon
gtieno.deviantart.com
anyone knows whats a good lens on a fm2n that can offer a good portrait shot... other than the photographer's skills :sweatsm:

TonicWater said:
anyone knows whats a good lens on a fm2n that can offer a good portrait shot... other than the photographer's skills :sweatsm:

If I may use an analogy to illustrate my point in relation to your question, would a surgical operation turns out any differently if a surgeon uses German made medical grade stainless steel scalpel or Taiwan made medical grade stainless steel scalpel?

TonicWater said:

A used ($450) Tamron 90mm Macro f2.8 lens. Creamy bokeh and doubles as a Macro lens.

reachme2003 said:
If I may use an analogy to illustrate my point in relation to your question, would a surgical operation turns out any differently if a surgeon uses German made medical grade stainless steel scalpel or Taiwan made medical grade stainless steel scalpel?
That's not a good analogy. A scalpel is a simple instrument that has no major differences according to where its made, as long as it is medical grade, (as you say) it should do the job equally well. On the other hand, different lenses definitely do have different characteristics and hence it is a valid question. To further your medical analogy, should a surgeon use an x-ray or MRI to locate a tumour?

Give the newbie a break, lah. Don't want them to think CS is an unfriendly place.

RSU said:
That's not a good analogy. A scalpel is a simple instrument that has no major differences according to where its made, as long as it is medical grade, (as you say) it should do the job equally well. On the other hand, different lenses definitely do have different characteristics and hence it is a valid question. To further your medical analogy, should a surgeon use an x-ray or MRI to locate a tumour?

Give the newbie a break, lah. Don't want them to think CS is an unfriendly place.
haha doesnt matter, im just at a lost on which len to get...

If you don't mind having a fixed focal, then Tamron 90mm f/2.8 is a good and relatively cheap choice. The Di version is out recently, with rear element coating improved for DSLR.

Nikon 85mm f/1.4 has good bokeh too. But the cheaper f/1.8 version has rather artificial looking bokeh. May not be ideal for portrait shots.

Some people are using 50mm f/1.8 as their portrait lens on DSLR. That's even cheaper. Good if you have a really tight budget.

If you prefer zoom lens instead, then it's a different story...

hansia said:
If you don't mind having a fixed focal, then Tamron 90mm f/2.8 is a good and relatively cheap choice. The Di version is out recently, with rear element coating improved for DSLR.

Nikon 85mm f/1.4 has good bokeh too. But the cheaper f/1.8 version has rather artificial looking bokeh. May not be ideal for portrait shots.

Some people are using 50mm f/1.8 as their portrait lens on DSLR. That's even cheaper. Good if you have a really tight budget.

Since the original poster owns an FM2n, the Tamron 90mm or 85 f1.4/1.8 would be it. But my choice still leans towards a used Tamron.

TonicWater said:

FM2N? See if you can pick up the classic AI/AIS 105mm f2.5. It's a firm favourite of many Nikon mf users.

RSU said:

In using the said analogy, the point I want to emphasize is the importance of developing oneself in terms of 'seeing' as would a surgeon.

Already, CS is known to be 'too hardware driven'.

so what if one prefers a zoom lens? 70-200 2.8s?

hansia said:

There are classic portrait lenses, like the 85mmf1.4 or f1.8. But really, it depends on what kinda portrait you would like to take. A wide angle 20mmf2.8 takes excellent dramatic sweeping full length portrait, while the 50mmf1.4 or1.8 does an excellent job for half body length portraits. 85mm's are good for tight headshots, so is the more versatile 70-200mmf2.8. So it depends really. If I must have one... and I have a real budget.... I would take the 50mmf1.8 or the 85mmf1.8. You must know that with narrow angle lenses, there is less opportunity to deviate from the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.